BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing these threads about throttle issues and those who know me know i've been down this road before with the jerky/jumpy throttle issue in the first to second etc shift/low pedal openings. Anyway im going to show you guys how to use WINKFPT to flash your DME with euro software that will correct the issue. Using euro sw is also a fix for SAI issues as euro m5's dont have SAI, you can also some euro sw versions turn off the rear 02's, another popular request. So short disclaimer, Do this at your own risk, if you don't follow directions and brick your DME, don't blame me. im not going to provide links to the sw, dont ask. google is your friend.

things you will need,

1 laptop with a serial or usb port capable of running the flashing software.
2 WINKFPT and inpa or dis.
3 a K/L line interface cable
4 a power supply capable of keeping the voltage at or above 12.5v during the flashing process.
5 a Progman disc to extract the programming data from to install in the WINKFPT folders

i'll attach a .pdf of how to update WINKFPT after you have it installed.

Once its all setup the flashing process is very quick and painless. takes about about 2min if that to do a data flash, which is what the majority of people will be doing.

ok so first you want to see what the current sw is thats loaded on the DME. You can use INPA, DIS, to read the program #'s and iirc you can also use WINKFPT to read the UIF(user info field) which will show the history of how many times the DME has been flashed and with what program/data numbers. The majority of the m5's running around in the usa, especially because of 12-06-06 recall will have 7837965 as the base/program number. So i would say 90% of the m5's on the road in the usa are running this sw set base # 7837965, program # 7837951. which makes this easy as we only need to do a quick update to program set to update it to euro sw.

so here we go, what we want to do is open WINKFPT and click "COMFORT MODE", then "Choose ZUSB", the box will pop up, scroll down and choose 7837963, the screen at the top should show the two program #'s. Now go down to the bottom and click the box "Done", after you do that a box will pop up asking you to enter the vin. Enter the complete vin and make sure it is correct. Once the vin is entered the two programming files that are used will be added to the middle of the screen. Also at some point click the "configuration" box on the top of the screen and make sure it looks like the pic below. Ok now you're ready to do some flashing. If you have everything set up right, cable is connected to vehicle/laptop, steady power supply is on, shut off all unnecessary consumers inside the car, radio, nav screen, lights etc, now on the bottom of the screen hit the "Program" box. It should say something like "Ecu can be programmed 12 more times, program ecu" click yes/ok and programming will start. The bar at the bottom of the screen will progress left to right and count up t0 100%. after successful programming it iirc will say programming ok. Now shut of the ignition for a minute, turn it back on, wait 15sec, start the car. If you did everything right now you'll have silky smooth throttle and now secondary air pump screaming at you in the morning.

One nice thing about WINKFPT is that it pretty much won't let you screw up. If you dont have it setup right it wont ever get to the point where you can do any flashing. There is a real good how to/pdf floating around im going to try to find and attach to the thread. Also in the PDF's the E70 is just an example, what you want to do is from the cip installer dir you want to grab the "SP DATEN E39" folder.

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
This is great. Thanks so much for posting with screen shots!

Currently working on PROPERLY installing all of this software - can't seem to find an up to date DIY on how to install these - everything seems to be old with broken links or pictures not working. mhm

·
Registered
32 Posts
I finally got around to trying this and all I can say is it sure makes a great car greater. Makes the car MUCH smoother when pulling away. Highly recommended!

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn't it!! one of the best free mods that you can do to. There is an added bonus with using this software as well. If you notice the secondary air pump is disabled as well cause euro cars don't have them so that means if you have the carbon buildup issue, no more cel. Im not 100% on this last one but i think this sw may also disable the rear 02's. I have to do a bit more research on this but the smooth throttle and no SAI is for sure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The only down side of the update that I noticed, if you could call it a down side, is the idle speed was increased to about 1000 rpm when the engine was cold. But the idle came right back down as the engine warmed up in about 2 minutes. Otherwise, I have not noticed any adverse effects.

I can't say anything about the secondary air pump as I never noticed it at all prior to the flash! As to the rear o2's, one less thing to throw a code if they are actually shut off. We don't do emissions testing in Florida so as long as I don't have a CEL to look at, I'm happy.

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
is the idle speed was increased to about 1000 rpm when the engine was cold.
That actually seems a touch low. In all the different software I tried, it was always over 1000 rpm Currently, mine is about 1200 for the first 10-20 seconds, but as soon as I crack the throttle it drops to almost normal (maybe 50-100 rpm high) and within a minute back to normal. Again, Florida doesn't have really cold weather, it might be a little higher if temps were a lot lower.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
446 Posts
Still haven't gotten around to doing this because I ran into issues with finding the proper SPDaten files/ uploading them correctly.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Added to sticky. If you're saying this is a remedy for AA peake code sufferers everywhere, that should probably be added as a keyword in the thread title, to attract even more attention.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Added to sticky. If you're saying this is a remedy for AA peake code sufferers everywhere, that should probably be added as a keyword in the thread title, to attract even more attention.
if you can make this a sticky that would be great. i can't edit the title name now but if you're able to please add the info about the AA code.

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
Have you thrown a code with this installed? You might force one and check. It will likely come out with and E instead of a P in front of the codes inspectors at emissions checks see. That may not be a problem if there are no stored codes.
I am pretty sure you still get the AA code but it does not light up the SES. I mentioned this elsewhere but the Euro cars all have the exact same SAP systems, only the AA does not trigger the light, but the code is still there. It should still get you a pass, if they don't call you on the E preface. The E and the P maybe in the reading software.
I just think you may want to check this before it is said to be a cure.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
idk about the in's and outs of getting these cars to pass emissions with this issue. i can confirm it does store a code in the dme but does not turn on the check engine light.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you notice the secondary air pump is disabled as well cause euro cars don't have them so that means if you have the carbon buildup issue, no more cel. Im not 100% on this last one but i think this sw may also disable the rear 02's. I have to do a bit more research on this but the smooth throttle and no SAI is for sure.
Are you sure the SAP is disabled? Because my UK car runs the SAP for the first 2 mins from cold, with increased idle and I've seen the 'secondary air flow too low' message before, the only difference is it won't trigger the CEL.

It also does not disable the rear o2 sensors, as I run race cats and have to use 90 degree lamba extenders to stop the CEL from lighting up every 5 mins.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
there are different versions of euro sw. i can confirm 100% that with the program # 7837963 the secondary air pump is disabled and does not run at startup.

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
What country is that for? Does not make sense anyway, the SAP is not just emissions. It has a design function to help heat the cats quickly and make them stay cleaner during rich startup. Thus they live longer. If the pump is in the car BMW would not disable it and shorten the life of the cats they are responsible to replace.
If your pump is not working that is not confirmation, it could be a software incompatibility issue although I doubt that.

·
Registered
178 Posts
there are different versions of euro sw. i can confirm 100% that with the program # 7837963 the secondary air pump is disabled and does not run at startup.
So what 'Euro' country is that software designed for then? :confused2

Is it not modified software, as I'd be surprised if there was original BMW software that disabled the SAP system.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts