BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to use ecuworx binary modification tool to turn off check engine light for secondary air and re-map throttle.
Process seems to be straight forward but after doing more reading seems that some people have had issues after flashing or worst case bricked their DME. Obviously I don't want this to happen to me so I'm asking the community for their expertise and help in answering a few questions.
- BMWflash or MSSflasher - is one better than the other?
- anything lessons learned from people who have done this?
- anything else?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Just do it, it'll be fine. BMWFlash is free, MSSflasher is more capable. If you plan on doing multiple flashes, MSSflasher is worth having since its writes are much faster and it can clear the flash counter.

I must have flashed my DME hundreds of times by now. The only times anything went wrong was if I wrote bad data to the DME. Since you're using a tool to modify your binary files instead of doing it by hand, your risk is basically nil.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
mtech9t8, if you have any issues with your DME after trying to flash, PM me and I can help you recover it. Just make sure before you modify anything to do a full read with bmwflash and store it somewhere safe. That will be a good backup of your ISN and VIN info in case a full restore is needed. I have a BDM tool that will allow writing the entire contents of the DME as long as it will power up.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I am in a position where I need to flash my ECU back to stock in order to install a Shark Injector (want to clear the SAI code).
I emailed Mike for some feedback. I would like to avoid having to go to the dealership to do this. Do you guys have any suggestions.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Connecting a power source to the battery is not a bad idea.

·
Registered
270 Posts
MSSFlasher lets you reset the flash limiter, BMWflash doesn't. This shouldn't be a problem for you unless you are making many many revisions, but figured it was worth a mention.

I personally use MSSFlasher, but I also do my own tuning so I'm always making changes.

Chris

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am in a position where I need to flash my ECU back to stock in order to install a Shark Injector (want to clear the SAI code).
I emailed Mike for some feedback. I would like to avoid having to go to the dealership to do this. Do you guys have any suggestions.
Check engine light due to SAI can be removed with ecuworx binary modification tool.
That's what I am planning on doing.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Check engine light due to SAI can be removed with ecuworx binary modification tool.

That's what I am planning on doing.

Unless Martyn updated it, the bin mod tool will suppress the SES, but doesn't set the monitor to ready. May or not matter for you depending on state emissions, but it will fail in CA. There are ways around this...

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Unless Martyn updated it, the bin mod tool will suppress the SES, but doesn't set the monitor to ready. May or not matter for you depending on state emissions, but it will fail in CA. There are ways around this...
The tool can do it two ways-- turn the sensitivity down (requires the sensors to still be installed), which still leaves them "ready". Or, turn it off, which allows you to remove the sensors and not have a light, but does not read as "ready"

·
Registered
123 Posts
When flashing using MSS, does the file need to be in .bin format? I received 2 tunes in regular files and they both make the car run worse than before. One caused the car to not start at all.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The trick there is to disable the error codes, but to leave the SAP itself turned on in the tune. Then unplug / remove the pump. That will set the monitors to ready after a couple minutes. Alternatively, the program can be modified to report the SAP as not applicable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts