BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently installed AIB v3.0

When I've got the key in ignition position II, (NAV on, but before 400 horses stir from their slumber), I've noticed the AIB's flash on alternate sides at approx. 10-15 sec. intervals.
The rear tail lights remain off.

Has anyone else had similar experience?

She's still pulling strongly all the way to our 70mph speed limit :M5rev: , so I'm not losing sleep - I quite like it, but wanted to run it by the forum in case this is common, or I should be looking for a wiring fault somewhere?

Not aware of any problems with previous OEM Angel eyes, but they're so dim, I guess I wouldn't have noticed :cool:

Thanks for any thoughts.....

·
Registered
728 Posts
I noticed the same thing with my Predator Ice until someone mentioned to me that it's becuase the car puts out a electric pulse to make sure all the lights are working and stuff like that.

When it does that since these use a different style light (LED) essentially that this pulse actually lights up the angel eyes like your describing.

The first time it happened to me I was really wondering what was up.

EDIT: I just remembered that it was Umnitza that told me about it.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
This has been discussed before and seems to be quite normal. All the AIB versions do this and it doesn't affect the function of the Angel Eyes at all. Mine does it everytime the car is started...it's actually kind of cool.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I enjoy it!

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
It means the BEAST is ready to be UNLEASHED!!!:cheers:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
its normal like everybody said.

it has something to do with the control light module.try to search lcm and you will find the answer.

the aib are led's and those are mutch more sensetive than the normal lights. so when you put on the contact, the lcm checks iff all light work properly, normal lights will not light up in the fraction off a sec when checkt, but the led will. thats why it flashes the first 15 sec.

nothing to worry about..

i hope i explained it right :thumbsup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all replies.

I did try an "AIB" search, but nothing came up re: flashing.
"lcm" isn't the most intuitive search when trying to find out why AIB's are flashing, so I'm not going to beat myself up over missing that one, but thanks for the pointer :haha2:

Drier, warmer, longer lighter days - no wonder the gas prices are hitting new highs! Happy & safe driving all...........:M5launch:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Flashing blues

Hi, mine also does that with the blue V3.0's, looks like a police car! I am selling a brand new set of blue V3.0's with xenon matching fogs if anyone is interested:M5eyes:

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
You'll also notice that when you put the key in the ignition and start the car (or turn all the electric systems on), the angel eyes will strobe as well.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
this also came from the faq from i bright self.

Question: I have an E60 or X5, and when I turn the key to a certain position the Angel Eyes blink, is this normal?
Angel i-bright: Yes, it is perfectly normal, and safe. It has to do with the way the BMW computer feeds electricity to the headlights during a certain key position, the computer is conducting normal diagnostic
procedures.

Flickering is caused by the OBC's process for interogating each system and one of them is the park lights where the Angel eyes are part of... The system check sends a pulse of power thus creating the flickering effect...

LED require almost no current to get them to light up. The computer will go into a "check lights" mode looking for possible failed lights along the car (similar to how it finds if you have installed an aftermarket Xenon kit or not in the low beams) and it will send a set of current pulses. It sends exactly 10 per side and it takes 5 seconds for those current pulses to complete.

like i said it has to do with the light controle module that checks iff there are no broken lights to be found..iff i remind it correct , the module can be disabled by bmw. or they place in a fake relay or something...i will try to look it up in the search function...

also try a search on flickering , maybe you will find something there.:hihi: nevermind the search:hihi:

·
Registered
351 Posts
this also came from the faq from i bright self.

Question: I have an E60 or X5, and when I turn the key to a certain position the Angel Eyes blink, is this normal?
Angel i-bright: Yes, it is perfectly normal, and safe. It has to do with the way the BMW computer feeds electricity to the headlights during a certain key position, the computer is conducting normal diagnostic
procedures.

Flickering is caused by the OBC's process for interogating each system and one of them is the park lights where the Angel eyes are part of... The system check sends a pulse of power thus creating the flickering effect...

LED require almost no current to get them to light up. The computer will go into a "check lights" mode looking for possible failed lights along the car (similar to how it finds if you have installed an aftermarket Xenon kit or not in the low beams) and it will send a set of current pulses. It sends exactly 10 per side and it takes 5 seconds for those current pulses to complete.

like i said it has to do with the light controle module that checks iff there are no broken lights to be found..iff i remind it correct , the module can be disabled by bmw. or they place in a fake relay or something...i will try to look it up in the search function...

also try a search on flickering , maybe you will find something there.:hihi: nevermind the search:hihi:
I wonder who actually would not want the flickering. It's pretty darn cool to me! LOL! A nice little "feature". Thanks for the info! Very enlightening! :cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts