BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to make a 250 mile trip next week. Has anyone used the flat tire fixer kit that I read about in the Owners Manual.
Does it work or is it better to just call a tow truck? I looked under the carpeting in the trunk and it is a pretty mickey mouse looking arrangement.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Haven't had to use it but they demonstrsated it to us at Spartanburg. It should work fine, provided you follow all the instuctions, and you have a normal puncture. It won't fix sidewall problems or huge holes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I tried to use it to no avail. I had a blowout with a dented rim (f**king NYC streets) - no chance. I pulled off in one of those lovely NYC neighborhoods at 2am between two stolen and gutted cars. The only thing missing was the burning garbage can on the corner. Luckily, I wasn't too far from home. Knowing my rim was toast anyway, I idled in 1st the rest of the way.

Needless to say, there is nothing better than a spare.

-Sam

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know some countries in Europe (Italy I believe for instance) require car manufacturers by law to include a spare tire in every new car sold. Anybody on this sight live in such a country? What does BMW offer for the beast there? Did they finally give in to a minimum amount of reason and include at least a doughnut?!?!?!?

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Sam,
but you would have had to stop, and get out in the bad neighborhood and put on the spare- not really a good idea where you were. I agree that a full spare, or at least even a doughnut would be better than the system we have. I havent used it, but if I had to, I would first give it a shot- I think if youve damaged your rim the odds are the stuff wont help, I think its really for when you drive over a nail and theres a smallish puncture.

ME

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by marlin:
There's always a whiner.... If BMW included a doughnut, there would be those on this board complaining that THEY DIDN'T INCLUDE COFFEE !!
I agree. The system should work fine. However, I just keep a can of Fix-A-Flat in the trunk to use in case of a flat. It's much easier to use than the BMW system.

------------------

·
Registered
331 Posts
There's always a whiner.... If BMW included a doughnut, there would be those on this board complaining that THEY DIDN'T INCLUDE COFFEE !!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Whatever guys. Wait until it happens to you and then talk.

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely LOVE this car. With all things considered, there is no other car on the road that I would rather own.

-Sam

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Thats ridiculous. They charge a premium for a car that not only provides cutting edge performance but also luxury. It has abs breaks, it has dsc, it has a special oil system to make sure the engine gets its oil for 1g+ cornering forces- and they leave out any kind of spare.

I think its very legitimate to make an issue out of this.

Personally, its not really a big issue for me. The times Ive had flats its been from things like nails and I do believe the flat kit will fix things like that. But it is concievable that someone will have a bad flat in an area with spotty cellular coverage and then what do they do?

This really did happen and it was reported in the news. The person was literally stranded for several days b/c their ~$70,000 super luxury mobile didnt have any kind of spare and it took a day for the truck to reach them and then several days for replacement rim and tires. To me, that aint luxury, its absurdity.

So flame me if you think its whining. That said, I do agree that with cell phones and the flat kit, this amounts to a minor nit- but I cant get away from the fact that luxury is supposed to remove those.

On a lighter note, I enjoyed Marlin's post about the coffee- you mean there is no free coffee?! (isnt that why they put cup holders in there for us silly Americans!!!)

ME

[This message has been edited by MEnthusiast (edited 22 November 2000).]

·
Registered
90 Posts
i echo me's sentiments as i travel through areas without good cell phone coverage. anybody have a spare of any sort. what do you use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts