BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Short and sweet.. If you have questions post up.

Went to start the car after work the other day and nothing.. First thing I noticed was I could not move the gear selector. I thought SMG pump instantly but a co worker said he heard it prime. I however, did not.

I did NOT receive any check control, check engine or transmission malfunction lights.

I hooked up to the car and found that while activating the pump I was only reading 1.3bar of pump pressure.

I ordered a new SMG pump. The pump came in this am and I began working on it. Bmw states its a 4.2 hour job I believe. I managed the entire job in about 1.5 hours. Didn't remove anything but the splash shield.

Anyway, the main component that failed on my rig was the adapter that goes between the SMG pump and pump motor.

This is my cars second pump. I attached pics. Look closely and you'll be able to see the difference.

Any questions, ask away.

Thanks and god bless,

Johnathan

Attachments

·
2,149 Posts
Nice! Good job on the DIY! Did you lower the tranny or anything? Must have been tight, good to know this can be done without removing much!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No sir. I literally removed nothing but the transmission splash shield. if anyone needs it, ill happily make up a DIY thread for it if there isnt one already.

Pretty simple job actually.

Thanks,

J

edit: If anyone is attempting this repair i will gladly give you my number and can talk you through it on the phone. Seems and sounds daunting. It isnt.

·
2,149 Posts
No sir. I literally removed nothing but the transmission splash shield. if anyone needs it, ill happily make up a DIY thread for it if there isnt one already.

Pretty simple job actually.

Thanks,

J

edit: If anyone is attempting this repair i will gladly give you my number and can talk you through it on the phone. Seems and sounds daunting. It isnt.
You def would be the first guy i believe who has done it without removing anything.. Thats awesome.. Im sure it was tight in there? Heat shield bent back im sure?

Thanks
Also look like the two pieces, one has a extra dimple where the other one is straight cut?

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Does this also mean that your old pump was good and the problem could have been solved with just the replacement of that adapter?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
no, i did not have to bend the heat shields. It wasnt that tight either. The hardest part was disconnecting the electrical connector for the pump motor.

Euro, I do believe what you are saying is correct. However im not willing to chance it. I bet i could have just replaced the adapter. I did see some wear on the output shaft of the motor though, just isnt worth it. Plus, im not so sure you can even get just the adapter.

thanks,

j

edit: the adapter comes with the new SMG pump motor

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You def would be the first guy i believe who has done it without removing anything.. Thats awesome.. Im sure it was tight in there? Heat shield bent back im sure?

Thanks
Also look like the two pieces, one has a extra dimple where the other one is straight cut?
yes you are correct, the new one is straight on both sides... the older unit has a circle "machined" into it by the output shaft of the motor and the input shaft of the pump. Likely a softer steel for protection of the much more expensive components.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts