BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the towbar itself, complete with loom and being the tightwad that I am, I'll be having a go at fitting it meself!!

Can anyone confirm the following please:

1. Where do I find the plugs on the car to plug into the towbar loom??

2. Does anyone have an exact list of the parts/clips etc which I need for the bumper cut-out/removable panel?

3. Any other advice!!!???

Will take some pics as work progresses and post on here for anyone who needs such info in future.

Thanks in advance,

R

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
All sorted now as far as buying the bumper cut out bits.

Ordered the cover, clips and little piece of string which stops it being left behind if it falls off!!

Cost a bloody tenner too!!!!!!

Anyone advise on the wiring?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Rob Plummer said:
All sorted now as far as buying the bumper cut out bits.

Ordered the cover, clips and little piece of string which stops it being left behind if it falls off!!

Cost a bloody tenner too!!!!!!

Anyone advise on the wiring?

I just took mine off. The cut outs in the trunk should be there. Also the wiring should simply plug in. There is a jumper plug there that has to be removed first and the harness should plug right in. TAking the bumper off is easier with two people.

My understanding is the tow bar is an after market kit, not available from the factory. However the bumper and wiring harness are ready for retro fitment.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for that.

Wherebouts do I find the plug on the car? Is it under the boot floor? Behind some trim? Or under the car outside?

Think the towbar was a dealer fit option.......

Thanks again,

R

·
Registered
890 Posts
Rob Plummer said:
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for that.

Wherebouts do I find the plug on the car? Is it under the boot floor? Behind some trim? Or under the car outside?

Think the towbar was a dealer fit option.......

Thanks again,

R

It should be located behind the CD player

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
rebel1 said:
I just took mine off. The cut outs in the trunk should be there. Also the wiring should simply plug in. There is a jumper plug there that has to be removed first and the harness should plug right in. TAking the bumper off is easier with two people.

My understanding is the tow bar is an after market kit, not available from the factory. However the bumper and wiring harness are ready for retro fitment.

Hope this helps.

Bruce
Hi!!
On mine it was a factory option. The tow bar is listed on the build sheet as a original option. (touring though...) :cheers:

Sakke

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry - back again with this!!

I've noticed that the cover I've bought looks suspiciously like the cover which goes over the towing eye.

Part numbers:

B51.12.2.231.633 Cover
B51.11.1.973.721 Strap
B51.12.2.231.623 Clips

Is this the right gear for the TOWBAR cover?

Thanks in advance,

R

·
Registered
890 Posts
Rob Plummer said:

I've noticed that the cover I've bought looks suspiciously like the cover which goes over the towing eye.

Part numbers:

B51.12.2.231.633 Cover
B51.11.1.973.721 Strap
B51.12.2.231.623 Clips

Thanks in advance,

R
I'm sorry I don't know... :confused:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Unfortunately the cover you have purchased is the one for the rear towing eye :sad3:...

The part numbers you need are :

51 12 9 066 784 - Flap (you need to tell the dealer your paint colour code) £40.30+vat
51 12 2 232 543 - Cover £8.30+vat

Hope that helps

Miles

Rob Plummer said:

Part numbers:

B51.12.2.231.633 Cover
B51.11.1.973.721 Strap
B51.12.2.231.623 Clips

Thanks in advance,

R

1 - 14 of 14 Posts