BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Whizzkid11 said:
Hmm - thats would defy what Lscman has just mentioned/suggested above.

For me looks-wsie 35 at front and 25 at rear would be perfect, in proportion. However, if Lscman, and Carrera2RS are correct in what they say and have done - then the "out of the box" setup by BIRDS - is not correct for optimal handling.

Guys, anybody else have any experience of suspension by Birds or generally? Apart from Tin - who just lets the car take care of it all.... :haha2:

I am now confusingly interested... or rather interestingly confused? hmmm
My comments are a generalization....absolutes are rare. I was just offering some baseline info & it will need confirmed in this case. Bumpstop snubber design and rod length & body dimensions will affect jounce travel. Coil-over designs that are not based upon Koni's or some other OEM spring-compatible damper may differ from stock. You will need to mount them and examine the amount of exposed chrome rod as the car sits at rest. This tells you exactly how much jounce travel you have before bumpstop contact is made. Assuming the bumpstops are not oversized and soft like a pillow (OEM-ish), you will not want to contact them often. The amount of available jounce (compression) travel front and rear should be "similar" & more is generally better. Lowered street cars look better, but they do not often handle better. For one thing, the intended suspension geometry is ruined. If the ball joint now sits higher than the control arm bushings (due to lowering), roll center moves out-of-whack and bumpsteer can become an issue. With streetable spring rates, less jounce travel hurts more than lower cg helps.

·
Registered
947 Posts
from rossiters:

Hi Piers,
Thanks for your enquiry.
The AC Schnitzer sports suspension kit consists of 4 lowering springs and 4 shock absorbers @ £1077.32 plus carriage and VAT.
Delivery 14-21 days.
50% deposit required with order.
Regards,
Phil.
PS The AC Schnitzer electronic sports suspension is no longer available.

cheers

·
Registered
355 Posts
Seems like a pretty good price, is it fully adjustable both rebound and compression?? Did Rossiters suggest they can do a 'fit and forget' balanced set-up??

Roger

·
Registered
947 Posts
rogbacon said:
Seems like a pretty good price, is it fully adjustable both rebound and compression?? Did Rossiters suggest they can do a 'fit and forget' balanced set-up??

Roger
well, considering Joe's price is around £1175, and BMW's to me around £1125, theirs asn i thought it would be seems pricier at £1265, (excl fitting for all)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Whizzkid11 said:
Hmm - thats would defy what Lscman has just mentioned/suggested above.

For me looks-wsie 35 at front and 25 at rear would be perfect, in proportion. However, if Lscman, and Carrera2RS are correct in what they say and have done - then the "out of the box" setup by BIRDS - is not correct for optimal handling.

Guys, anybody else have any experience of suspension by Birds or generally? Apart from Tin - who just lets the car take care of it all.... :haha2:

I am now confusingly interested... or rather interestingly confused? hmmm
Not disputing what anybody is saying...

From this thread it appears that Birds have said the front can be set lower....
and now Kelleners in Germany Website show the same also..

http://www.kelleners-sport.com/english/index_d.htm under M5--> suspension - their kit lowers the front by 20mm and the rear by 10mm ...

The discussion is open I guess... :confused2 :confused3

·
Registered
355 Posts
This is why it's so difficult to decide - every tuner has different ideas, and every garage uses different tuners!!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I think the points are quite clear and relatively easy to play with with adjustable platforms. To raise or lower the front takes me less than 25 mins and the back more like 15mins (the wheels can stay on !)

I did find getting the rear ride height at that ride height, just felt right, arguably too low but it just feels planted and tight at that height. Raise it as little as 5mm and it feels looser and rolls noticeably more at the rear, I wonder whether there are some interesting things going on with the roll centres ?

I have not had the suspension bottom even 5 up, I suspect the bumpstops and progressive springs have been well thought out, no crashing, no susceptable change in grip taking a big undulation, it juts seems to soak it up.

After playing with the front and rear I just raised the front until the understeer was minimalised and the front to back felt neutral. It currently feels very flat and neutral, sure you can create both understeer and oversteer as you turn in. Keep it smooth and it feels very planted indeed. Get ragged and you are aware of the weight as the tyres scrape for grip but no real drama. The front tyres have actually worn down quite quickly not sure that tells me very much as understeer has been minimalised.

I did find playing with tyre pressures useful and again settled on 34R and 35F

The plus points for me are that the car seems smaller, lighter and very nimble and using those 400 something hp is something I do much more often ! I have found myself checking the speedo after apexing a familiar roundabout and realising why other cars appeared stationary......... And that was whilst listening to a good CD at the same time ;)

·
Registered
947 Posts
Carrera2RS said:
I think the points are quite clear and relatively easy to play with with adjustable platforms. To raise or lower the front takes me less than 25 mins and the back more like 15mins (the wheels can stay on !)

I did find getting the rear ride height at that ride height, just felt right, arguably too low but it just feels planted and tight at that height. Raise it as little as 5mm and it feels looser and rolls noticeably more at the rear, I wonder whether there are some interesting things going on with the roll centres ?

I have not had the suspension bottom even 5 up, I suspect the bumpstops and progressive springs have been well thought out, no crashing, no susceptable change in grip taking a big undulation, it juts seems to soak it up.

After playing with the front and rear I just raised the front until the understeer was minimalised and the front to back felt neutral. It currently feels very flat and neutral, sure you can create both understeer and oversteer as you turn in. Keep it smooth and it feels very planted indeed. Get ragged and you are aware of the weight as the tyres scrape for grip but no real drama. The front tyres have actually worn down quite quickly not sure that tells me very much as understeer has been minimalised.

I did find playing with tyre pressures useful and again settled on 34R and 35F

The plus points for me are that the car seems smaller, lighter and very nimble and using those 400 something hp is something I do much more often ! I have found myself checking the speedo after apexing a familiar roundabout and realising why other cars appeared stationary......... And that was whilst listening to a good CD at the same time ;)
Any luck with fresh pics of lowered car on stock wheels?! cheers

·
Registered
947 Posts
21 - 33 of 33 Posts