BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a set of Eibach coilovers for my M5 (E39) and have noticed to my horror that they are not accompanied by a set of instructions.

Can anyone offer some practical advice as to how one sets these up?

Thanks in advance.


Michael

p.s. There are a few hints and tips on Eibach's web site but these appear to be inadequate.
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Michaelc said:
I have recently purchased a set of Eibach coilovers for my M5 (E39) and have noticed to my horror that they are not accompanied by a set of instructions.

Can anyone offer some practical advice as to how one sets these up?

Thanks in advance.


Michael

p.s. There are a few hints and tips on Eibach's web site but these appear to be inadequate.
You should PM m5board.com member "Carrera2RS" as he just recently installed them on his M5 (he is also based in the UK). I believe he did the install himself, so he should be able to share more information than you will ever need.

Cheers, Daniel.
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Michaelc said:
Thanks Daniel.

BTW, any news on the date by which your strut brace will be ready?
The last data point suggests production units will be shipping in 2-3 weeks. They will be featured prominently on www.beastpower.com as soon as they are available.

Cheers, Daniel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
I have spent some considerable time setting up the Eibachs, please send me a Pm and I will talk you through the settings I am currently running. I would also be happy to meet up and compare set ups :)
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Michaelc said:
Excellent. I look forward to it.

Any chance of a sneak preview?

Sorry, one last thing, are you planning to produce a rear strut brace too?

Regs,
Michael
The rear shock tower brace will also be seriously considered once the front brace is complete. Please note that these are being manufactured by a company called Strong-Strut from Arizona which has significant expertise with BMW strut bars.

Cheers, Daniel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
BeastPower said:
The rear shock tower brace will also be seriously considered once the front brace is complete. Please note that these are being manufactured by a company called Strong-Strut from Arizona which has significant expertise with BMW strut bars.

Cheers, Daniel.
Daniel,
Funny that you mention strong strut, I called him a few years ago asking if he would make a bar for the e34 M5. He expalined that the strut brace business was a sideline but that he hoped one day to give up real estate and make bars full time. I assume he's made it a full time gig now. Small world.
Cheers,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
Michael


How did you get on with the Eibach set up ?

I now have the replaced front shocks fitted and it is much better, there was a problem with one of the shocks and they replaced both to fit a pair, I had to chage the thread settings significantly from the problem shocks to get back to a balanced ride height I ran 342mm front and now a few mm higher seems better.

I am running 320mm rear and 345 front ride heights and it is very, very good indeed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Carrera2RS said:
Michael


How did you get on with the Eibach set up ?

I now have the replaced front shocks fitted and it is much better, there was a problem with one of the shocks and they replaced both to fit a pair, I had to chage the thread settings significantly from the problem shocks to get back to a balanced ride height I ran 342mm front and now a few mm higher seems better.

I am running 320mm rear and 345 front ride heights and it is very, very good indeed
Carrera2RS,

Being naive and inexperienced on the suspension front - is it not more stable to have a lower front than rear? Inaddition, it is more aesthetically pleasing... IMO.

I was planning on getting my suspension modified with coilover, and am aiming to have the front lower then the rear - to give it the "mean" and hoefully more stable feel.

Any advise ... anybody?

Thx

Was!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,515 Posts
Whizzkid11 said:
Carrera2RS,

Being naive and inexperienced on the suspension front - is it not more stable to have a lower front than rear? Inaddition, it is more aesthetically pleasing... IMO.

I was planning on getting my suspension modified with coilover, and am aiming to have the front lower then the rear - to give it the "mean" and hoefully more stable feel.

Any advise ... anybody?

Thx

Was!
The car should be level or about 1/2" lower in the rear. The E39 front suspension does not have much jounce travel to begin with. Lowering it more the front will result in front bumpstop contact which will induce a heavy does of understeer at the limit...just what you don't want. The optimal height (from the fender lip to the center of the wheel roundel) is about 14" front and 13.5" rear. Ride heights under 13" will definitely compromise handling under severe transient maneuvers, unless you have super high race rate springs (that nobody offers for E39).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Lscman said:
The car should be level or about 1/2" lower in the rear. The E39 front suspension does not have much jounce travel to begin with. Lowering it more the front will result in front bumpstop contact which will induce a heavy does of understeer at the limit...just what you don't want. The optimal height (from the fender lip to the center of the wheel roundel) is about 14" front and 13.5" rear. Ride heights under 13" will definitely compromise handling under severe transient maneuvers, unless you have super high race rate springs (that nobody offers for E39).
Thanks for that Lscman!

I didn't know that... I guess I have never really put the car through it limits to really notice how it should be setup properly - at the moment it is all stock suspension setup.

The optimal height from the fender lips - is obviously irrespective of wheel size and additionally, rolled fenders would have minimal effect? I guess when the fenders are rolled, is there much of height change, I guess it would be 10ths of mm if that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,515 Posts
Whizzkid11 said:
Thanks for that Lscman!

I didn't know that... I guess I have never really put the car through it limits to really notice how it should be setup properly - at the moment it is all stock suspension setup.

The optimal height from the fender lips - is obviously irrespective of wheel size and additionally, rolled fenders would have minimal effect? I guess when the fenders are rolled, is there much of height change, I guess it would be 10ths of mm if that.
Fender rolling should have almost no effect unless they warped your fenders. In that case, you can measure from the upper fender ridge, about 3/4" above the lip (just add 3/4" or so to measurements. You can also count threads on coil-overs if you want to balance adjustable spring collar position right to left. You could get the car corner-weighted, but for street, you really need to balance the ride height right to left, instead of concerning yourself with corner weights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
Was, the Birds kit lowers by 35 at the front and 25 at the rear with the out-of-the-box standard settings......


Roger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
944 Posts
rogbacon said:
Was, the Birds kit lowers by 35 at the front and 25 at the rear with the out-of-the-box standard settings......
Wow, is that a Hartge kit? Seems very low for an M car, considering Mtech is already approx 15-20mm lower than a normal E39?

Interesting thread by the way. Please keep me in the loop on any suspension meets in the UK, it's moving to #1 on the 'next mod list'
cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
rogbacon said:
Was, the Birds kit lowers by 35 at the front and 25 at the rear with the out-of-the-box standard settings......


Roger
Hmm - thats would defy what Lscman has just mentioned/suggested above.

For me looks-wsie 35 at front and 25 at rear would be perfect, in proportion. However, if Lscman, and Carrera2RS are correct in what they say and have done - then the "out of the box" setup by BIRDS - is not correct for optimal handling.

Guys, anybody else have any experience of suspension by Birds or generally? Apart from Tin - who just lets the car take care of it all.... :haha2:

I am now confusingly interested... or rather interestingly confused? hmmm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
I agree it is all rather confusing, and I questioned Birds about this because I don't really want mine lowered unless it has to be (it already looks lowered because of the weight of the ICE!!), as you say the standard set-up is already lowered. FYI the Birds kit is KW coilovers. A big priority for me is fit and forget as well - I am no technical expert, so am happy to leave it to those that are.

Maybe we should all meet at Birds in Uxbridge and discuss the various options in detail with Kevin........

I am inclined to trust them as they have been (probably) the premier BMW tuner in the country for 30 years, and their race pedigree suggests they know what they are talking about.......

Roger

ps Foxy any word on the ACS pricing??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
944 Posts
rogbacon said:
I agree it is all rather confusing, and I questioned Birds about this because I don't really want mine lowered unless it has to be (it already looks lowered because of the weight of the ICE!!), as you say the standard set-up is already lowered. FYI the Birds kit is KW coilovers. A big priority for me is fit and forget as well - I am no technical expert, so am happy to leave it to those that are.

Maybe we should all meet at Birds in Uxbridge and discuss the various options in detail with Kevin........

I am inclined to trust them as they have been (probably) the premier BMW tuner in the country for 30 years, and their race pedigree suggests they know what they are talking about.......

Roger

ps Foxy any word on the ACS pricing??

Hey mate, gonna be around £1600 fitted i think.....suspension was about 975+vat for springs n shocks, then about 500 (inc vat) in labour if i recall correctly. Asked them if they'd do a group discount but no......rossiters may be worth a call, but in my experience theyre pricier than BMW, but i guess u pay for the expertise.

Happy to meet at Birds, not this w/e, maybe next,
cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
rogbacon said:
I agree it is all rather confusing, and I questioned Birds about this because I don't really want mine lowered unless it has to be (it already looks lowered because of the weight of the ICE!!), as you say the standard set-up is already lowered. FYI the Birds kit is KW coilovers. A big priority for me is fit and forget as well - I am no technical expert, so am happy to leave it to those that are.

Maybe we should all meet at Birds in Uxbridge and discuss the various options in detail with Kevin........

I am inclined to trust them as they have been (probably) the premier BMW tuner in the country for 30 years, and their race pedigree suggests they know what they are talking about.......

Roger

ps Foxy any word on the ACS pricing??
I am up for meeting at Birds... Let me know when is suitable... This Sat morning is okay with me... following weekend is out as I am on standby.

Any afternoon/evening shouldn't be a prob.

rgds

Was!


* PS - Any chance of a GROUP FIT as well as a GROUP BUY?
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top