BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending many hours on the board reading about the various aftermarket exhaust options that we have available I am ready to modify the exhaust on my 2007 M6 E63 MT6.

Like many of you I am looking to wake up the sound profile of my F1 beast but I am not excited to spend several thousand dollars on a section 3. My decision is clear -- Buy a used Section 3 with a proven sound or purchase a compatible universal muffler and have it professionally installed and hope for a good sound. I have not had any luck finding a used E63 section 3 - at all.

On to plan B: Find aftermarket universal mufflers that will perfectly fit in the stock E63 muffler location. So far, I have only come up with one muffler that roughly meets requirements from another member's post: (MagnaFlow 14816: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-14816/overview/) They are 234.09 EACH - Too much for a diy project! I do not plan to remove resonators or catalysts at this time. My assumption is that any "high-flow" universal muffler meeting the size and inlet/outlet constraints will meet the requirements of free-er flowing exhaust while keeping rasp to a minimum and adding sound character.

Looking for suggestions of an alternative mufflers that can be used.... Has anyone done this? Have suggestions on what may fit and look right?

Thanks!
Oatsey

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Go with RPI. The whole system (section 1,2,3) is well under 3k shipped. Section 3 alone is even cheaper. Contact Nerwyll at Trinity for a great price.
If you still don't want to fork out $$ for brand new, look in the classifieds section. There are often RPI exhausts in there for pretty decent prices. Keep an eye out in this section....

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/exhaust-discussion-sale-wanted/

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you're looking for cheap nothing cheaper next to straight pipes than glasspacks ($20-40). I'm sure you could find a set of flowmasters to fit as well. They would be louder and probable sound better than stock, but not sure. Though with these options you'd have to get or use the stock tailpipes. I agree that if you can afford it or have the time to search for, getting a used set is probably the way to go.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You could do a half muffler delete like I did. I removed the two outer cans, left the two inners. Its not any louder cruising but when you get on the power there is glorious F1 goodness. Zero drone. And its extremely cheap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts