BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
So this morning at 8 I was standing outside my favourite exhaust shop, we quickly put the M on the lift and I started helping the dude to tackle the task. We proceeded to cut out the stock backboxes, taking some careful measurements to avoid making it too short:

Then off it came:

What a pleasure to work on a german car, everythin g is easy to access and simply bolt on/ bolt off. We transferred all the rubbers to the Eisennmann (a really high quality product):

And then it went in:

Same procedure on the other side, so I won't bore you with pics of the same thing. Here is the completed job:

So after that, we started it, checked for leaks and everything was 100%. It was time to hit the road.
Man to say this thing sounds insane now is an understatement.
I took a "before" clip this morning on the way there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta_1os58nAc
And after (windows closed):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOgQ-ZY8A30
A clip doesn't do this thing any justice, I think a friend got a clip from outside the car when I overtook him.
I think my neighbours are gonna hate my guts, this thing really sounds like a race car now. I had a standing ovation with hands clapping and cheering when I went past the golf course on my way home, there was a group of 5 guys playing golf, they stopped and looked at the thing that was making noise, and when they realised what it was there was much cheering, and hands clapping.
Now I'm off to the shower, I'm full of grease :D

PS I just noticed that the right hand side tailpipes sticks out a little less than the left, any ideas on how to rectify that?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Thanks for sharing. :cool2:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Thanks for the pics and vid. That thing sounds nice! I actually noticed the longer driver's side pipe before I read your last post. I thought it was the angle of the pic. You can definately get her back on the rack and cut a little more... and you should. Just remember... measure twice, cut once.

Any droning inside the cabin?

·
Registered
155 Posts
PitziCSL,
Thanks for the post. I'm actually going to get the Eisenmann Meisterschaft myself. However, I'll be purcahsing the car in the States and then it will be exported to me here in Laos. I was wondering if the dual exhaust will fit in the trunk, so that I can install it here?
Also, I'd really appreciate it if you could post both videos on Google or Streetfire, I really like to see the before and after video. I can't watch youtube here. The internet in Laos bypasses Thailand, and Thailand has restricted youtube. Thanks.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PitziCSL,
Thanks for the post. I'm actually going to get the Eisenmann Meisterschaft myself. However, I'll be purcahsing the car in the States and then it will be exported to me here in Laos. I was wondering if the dual exhaust will fit in the trunk, so that I can install it here?
Also, I'd really appreciate it if you could post both videos on Google or Streetfire, I really like to see the before and after video. I can't watch youtube here. The internet in Laos bypasses Thailand, and Thailand has restricted youtube. Thanks.
Hello there.

To answer all your questions, yes, it fits perfectly in the trunk. Will post the videos on google video for you as well :)

One word of warning though, if you dont like loud exhausts then go for the Eisenmann Sport. The race one is LOUD.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the pics and vid. That thing sounds nice! I actually noticed the longer driver's side pipe before I read your last post. I thought it was the angle of the pic. You can definately get her back on the rack and cut a little more... and you should. Just remember... measure twice, cut once.

Any droning inside the cabin?
Its actually longer on the passenger side than the drivers side (we are RHD here :) )

no droning, but extremely loud.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry... how ethnocentric I am... Are you going to re-cut?
I doubt it needs cutting, the flared bit that slips on the existing exhaust is quite long on the eisennmann, and we cut the exhausts at exactly the same lenght to the millimetre, so I doubt that. More likely that we pushed one more in than the other. I'll go past the exhaust shop on monday, loosen both clamps, and try to level them out. Don't think it's a big issue except for the fact that we put on a fair amount of exhaust putty, so knocking them off won't be too easy now.... :(

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
:woowoo:
Yeah, Pitzi! Ain't it great? But no droning? Really? I really think its the seal b/w the resonator section and the mufflers that determines the amount of drone. I only had mine clamped (no welding or putty), and I get some drone at certain RPM's. An M6 member welded his and was very quiet. :dunno: Have no idea why that would be; just a theory.
Now go out there and scare the crap outta your neighbors!:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Do must people have the set up that you did or do most people set the exhaust up from the cats back?

·
Registered
503 Posts
sounds awesome! I did notice a difference in the length. When I first saw the tail pipe on the right side I thought it did not stick out far enought. I would consider getting the X-PIPE. The tips shoud definately stick out more.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys, went back to the exhaust shop yesterday. We loosened the pipe that was too short and pulled it out by about 4cm, now they are perfectly equal.

wasn't an easy task though, the putty had hardened properly and it took a lot of trouble to get it loose again.

I'll take a picture tomorrow to show what it looks like now.

It's actually amazing to se how much longer the tips become when the exhaust is hot compared to when it's cold, metal expansion :)

PS, does anyone know just how tight those clamps should be? We made the pretty tight (looks like they use stratch bolts from the factory).

Also, I see the OEM pipe is very thick compared to the eisenmann one.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
:woowoo:
Yeah, Pitzi! Ain't it great? But no droning? Really? I really think its the seal b/w the resonator section and the mufflers that determines the amount of drone. I only had mine clamped (no welding or putty), and I get some drone at certain RPM's. An M6 member welded his and was very quiet. :dunno: Have no idea why that would be; just a theory.
Now go out there and scare the crap outta your neighbors!:M5thumbs:
Mine are welded (sport version) and I get some significant drone 3000-3200 RPM. It should be noted that I have Evosport headers and race cats, but the resonator is stock.:dunno:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think you guys confuse the frequency of the sound with resonating. Any car has a frequency at a certain rpm where the bass is predominant. I find that it's between 3000 and 4000rpm on mine, but no droning.

Droning is more like a vibration/echo thats usually found in big bore exhausts or with ill design of the system, it causes a "boom - vibration" kind of echo from the exhaust, especially on over-run or part throttle openings. I cannot find better words to describe it.

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,395 Posts
Also, I see the OEM pipe is very thick compared to the eisenmann one.
Ah interesting, I didn't know they went with low-gauge metal.

I think you guys confuse the frequency of the sound with resonating. Any car has a frequency at a certain rpm where the bass is predominant. I find that it's between 3000 and 4000rpm on mine, but no droning.

That's what people normally call drone, the annoying bass frequencies often found around the lower rpm ranges (2000-3000 rpm on Porsches, and apparently 3000-4000 rpm here).

It's much like people call wheels "rims". It's not technically correct, however it's used enough that it's understood.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts