BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been numerous threads about how the wiring of the factory fitted stereo is very complicated and that fitting an aftermarket head unit requires a complete re-wire of speakers etc.

Well, I thought I'd post some information on what I've found out - so far......

My Blaupunkt Bremen SQR49 doesn't APPEAR to be factory fitted - the wiring behind it is in such a state that I can't see it being anything other than aftermarket.

Also, there is nothing fancy about the amp. The aerial connection appears to have bodged - not pretty, but it works.

So, with some help off a guy on another forum, I'm hoping to install my old Sony head unit without doing anything major to the car.

Just need a couple of adapter plugs and I should be home and dry.

Will keep everyone posted - and hopefully we can dispel another myth about these cars............... :byee55amg

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ste said:
All you should need is a BMW to ISO adaptor. Then it's a click together doddle. Both e34s I've fitted stereos in took 5 minutes with the correct connector.
Cheers Ste - already got one, but my Sony has a 16 pin plug on the back of it, not ISO.

Taking advice on what plug I need. Might be a Sony to ISO AND an ISO to BMW.................

You're right though - this will be a piece of cake once I get the right leads. Just for interest - do a search on here - there's a lot of cobblers about how you have to re-wire speakers and aerials etc etc....................

·
Registered
63 Posts
Rob Plummer said:
You're right though - this will be a piece of cake once I get the right leads. Just for interest - do a search on here - there's a lot of cobblers about how you have to re-wire speakers and aerials etc etc....................
Hi Rob,

I have just this weekend been installing an new Alpine HE and this seems to be working fine. I am adding a new AMP for the front speakers, and I could not find any trace of a factory AMP. There was a Sony HE already in there and the BMW square plug is still on the end of the loom.

Not quite there though..

I did buy some Infinty 50.5 CS for the fronts and ended up having to attack the back of the panels in the footwell with a dremel and also glue gun in some new tweeters in the door pods. All stealth behind the standard grills..

Cheers

Sime

·
Registered
237 Posts
Rob Plummer said:
Cheers Ste - already got one, but my Sony has a 16 pin plug on the back of it, not ISO.

Taking advice on what plug I need. Might be a Sony to ISO AND an ISO to BMW.................
Yep you need a BMW to ISO and an ISO to Sony as I don't think you can get an ISO to Sony - or at least I've never seen one. I did exactly the same with one of the ones I fitted. I found with the added bulk of all the plugs it was very difficult to get the stereo in the cage fully. If you remove the side panel next to the glove box you can pull all the wiring/plugs etc down out of the waybehind the heater/climate controls and then slide your stereo in.

I sweapped the front kick speakers for some 6" JBLs on custom rings stealthily mounted behind the standard covers and the sound is so much better than with the standard speakers. Well worth considering for a few quid more.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, well, well!

That myth is well & truly dispelled!

Took me an hour to fit the CD changer to the boot, run the cable through to the head unit and install the head unit.

Didn't bother with an ISO to Sony plug - just cut the wires from the BMW to ISO plug and joined to the loom on the back of the head unit.

Works a treat. Aerial fine.

Only problem is sound quality isn't as good - suspect due to not having enough power to drive the speakers, now the amp isn't connected.

So, changing the head unit in your M5 is as easy as in any other car - and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!!

If you have a head unit with ISO connection, it'll take you 5 minutes, tops!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Rob Plummer said:
Works a treat. Aerial fine.

Only problem is sound quality isn't as good - suspect due to not having enough power to drive the speakers, now the amp isn't connected.

So, changing the head unit in your M5 is as easy as in any other car - and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!!

If you have a head unit with ISO connection, it'll take you 5 minutes, tops!
I have been doing the same today and found that getting my new Alpine in with all the loom plugs etc is a nightmare. The radio reception is still to be confirmed, stations picked up enough but unsure of quality. The new Sony must have enough power for the speakers I would think. Most new ones are rated peak 4x40w (yes not RMS @ THD 0.05%).

Odd thing is I never found any trace of the amp in mine..

You may to do some setup tweaks with the Sony.?

Good luck.

Sime

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah - there's not much room behind there for all them wires is there!!??

I shoved most of mine over and down to the left - behind the OBC.

As for doing more stuff - I think the only thing I'd really consider is an amp - and only if I can get one for nowt!

I'm not really an audiophile (although I can tell the difference between good and mediocre - and mine's mediocre) - but as long as I can have some New Order pumping out at REASONABLE quality, I'm happy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts