BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

First year production?

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Zapper 
#1 ·
#3 ·
That's what the warranty is for.

Think of how many E60s have been sold and how many people have posted problems. They represent a small, small fraction of the total and problems like this will be true of any car, although none of us buy German cars for their reliability.

I would still get a first year model if I really wanted it, but if I can wait, I won't mind a year or two.

#5 ·
The one advantage to the US having it a year (well, 6-9 mo) later is that the early (and biggest) bugs will have been excised.

There is a cost to having an early model. I remember there even being a significant difference between my 2000 and 2001 E39 M5s. However, the cost of not having it is bigger; life is short.

Tom

#6 ·
Just keep in mind that of the 10 items in the list, #s 4, 5, 9 & 10 may be related to the fact that it's a new model. #s 1,2,3,6,7 & 9 are just in the category: "stuff happens", and all are emininently preventalbe, but not related to a new model's introduction.

#7 ·
Jessem said:
Just keep in mind that of the 10 items in the list, #s 4, 5, 9 & 10 may be related to the fact that it's a new model. #s 1,2,3,6,7 & 9 are just in the category: "stuff happens", and all are emininently preventalbe, but not related to a new model's introduction.
No kidding. Sounds like alot of this guy's complaints are dealer related, not model related. He also sounds like a real whiner... "had to send car back for washing 3 times..." Cry me a river.

#8 · (Edited)
vndkshn said:
No kidding. Sounds like alot of this guy's complaints are dealer related, not model related. He also sounds like a real whiner... "had to send car back for washing 3 times..." Cry me a river.
I agree. The other thing is, how members here have an experience like this? Given that we have a bigger member group, I haven't even read "many" disasters/complaints like this at all here in m5board say, in the last 3 months.

#9 ·
Also you have to look at the M5 has not quite an all new model... Much of the car (engine / tranny excepted) is a carry over from the normal 5 series, which by the time we get the M will have been in production for 2-3 years. Hopefully BMW will have worked out most of the general 5 series bugs by then.

Also... I have an 02 (01 build) M3 and although it has had 2 bearing recalls, it never caused me any problems. More importantly, the fact that BMW has extended my engine warranty to 100K miles makes me feel that even if some of us are unlucky enough to have problems with the new beast, BMW will stand behind the car.

Besides... with SMG... If the engine or tranny blows it can't be our fault. Technically, there is nothing we can do (i.e. miss a gear, over rev, etc) to hurt it. If it breaks it will be covered.

#11 ·
Most of those complaints are dealer inflicted. Which reminds me of this event at a dealership. I was picking up my car at the local BMW dealership and some idiot that worked for the dealer ship came racing in the parking lot and ran into a light pole while parking a customer car. It pushed the bumper back far enought to put a dent in the hood. The guy standing next to me said real calmly "That is my car, I can't believe that guy just bounced my car off that light pole". I told him I wouldn't be so calm. He said "You know, life is short, I enjoy the car and the dealer will make it right and anything else that breaks will be covered by the warranty".

#12 ·
M6 Forever said:
Almost ... unless you abuse Launch Control. Remember there's a chip in there supposedly counting how many times you launch controlled it.
Right... you are probably right on this one... but I still think my point is valid. With the vast majority of mechanical issues the SMG / V10 combo is so computer / electronically controlled that if it breaks, it will be very hard for BMW to even try to point the finger back at us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.