BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I hardwired my V1 two weeks ago after picking up the unit at a great deal from another member here. Until today, it has been mainly false alerts. I did have it accurately detect a CHP on the side of the road that had a car pulled over, but that's about all the excitement I had.

Today coming home from work after a graveyard 10 hour shift, I was doing a little more than 15mph over the speed limit, just puttering along in the fast lane past traffic. Suddenly I get a Ka alert that increases rapidly. I slow down immediately to about 5mph over the limit, and the signal slams into full alert and stays there. I'm looking out all my mirrors (a little hard with all the shades up) and I see nothing, but do notice everyone on the freeway is moving at the same speed. Suddenly a CHP flicks his lights on and shoots out of my blind spot and just speeds off.

It was at that moment that I realized my V1 was no longer an annoyance :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Didn't you look at the arrows to tell you where the signal was coming from?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't you look at the arrows to tell you where the signal was coming from?

Of course. It showed it was behind, but I didn't see the officer anywhere. I was paying much less attention than I usually do (sleep deprivation :sad3:), so I'm assuming he switched on his radar when he was approaching. When the alert goes off, we look at the arrow first, then look around, just didn't spot him at all :S

·
Registered
355 Posts
The Valentine is my best friend, properly setup the annoyances can be minimized.

If you haven't already I recommend the following:
- Put it in full logic mode
- Disable X band radar (instructions online)

The only PD using X-band I've ever encountered in TX was the Denton police. Mostly it's supermarket doors and other annoyances. I hear some departments in the midwest still use it, but I imagine it's increasingly rare.

Laser false alerts:
- Infiniti cars with laser based cruise control
- Late model Trailblazers/Jimmys third brake light
- E46 convertible third brake light

I highly recommend the StealthOne, aside from the integration with the dash/nav for warnings it allows you to mute from the steering wheel and will AUTO-MUTE any alarms when you are moving below a speed you set (say 20mph). Safe driving.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Of course. It showed it was behind, but I didn't see the officer anywhere. I was paying much less attention than I usually do (sleep deprivation :sad3:), so I'm assuming he switched on his radar when he was approaching. When the alert goes off, we look at the arrow first, then look around, just didn't spot him at all :S
A little advice: if you're tired, turn the V1 off, and don't speed. Drive safely.:)

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
The Valentine is my best friend, properly setup the annoyances can be minimized.

The only PD using X-band I've ever encountered in TX was the Denton police. Mostly it's supermarket doors and other annoyances. I hear some departments in the midwest still use it, but I imagine it's increasingly rare.

Laser false alerts:

I highly recommend the StealthOne, aside from the integration with the dash/nav for warnings it allows you to mute from the steering wheel and will AUTO-MUTE any alarms when you are moving below a speed you set (say 20mph). Safe driving.
+1 on Stealthone

Also, Don't forget Lexus/Toyota with their laser cruise control

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Laser false alerts:

+1 on Stealthone

Also, Don't forget Lexus/Toyota with their laser cruise control

I looked into getting a StealthOne when doing research on the V1. It seems great, but a lot of users on this forum reported the system as being glitchy. They are also not made, and people are asking extravagant prices for them :tonquesmilie:

A little advice: if you're tired, turn the V1 off, and don't speed. Drive safely.:)

Maybe I should've been a little more clear, don't want to come off sounding like a horrible driver. When I meant I was paying less attention, I meant I was paying less attention than I usually do for law enforcement, not driving in general. I'm not one of those tunnel vision asian drivers looking to bumper car my way home (I can say this because i'm asian :biggrinbounce:). Surrounding traffic was also going around 10mph over the limit, but as well all know, you just have to go a little faster than everyone else in the M5 :flag:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts