BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m an experienced road course racer but have never done drag racing. Having a friendly run-off next week with my M5-S2 vs. a friend and his 1G (I think a 2007) Cadillac CTSV 6MT with some bolt ons (exhaust, tune).

Both cars very well maintained and in exceptional condition. I’m at 106k and I think he’s around 125k.

He has stock size tires (245 width all seasons) and I’m running oem staggered with 200TW Falken RT615K+. My friend has never dragged raced before either.

Any advice for a first timer? Burnout in the water box necessary? How much should I deflate rear tires?

Regardless I’m going to have fun but beating down a plasticized gramps corvette wannabe will make it that much sweeter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I haven't been to the strip in years.. now you got thinking of those days again..

Personally I'd avoid the water and the burnout, it's mostly pointless for street cars in most cases. Unless you like burnouts and stuff then by all means have fun, but drive around it otherwise it.

Don't worry about the reaction time, unless your friends are gonna talk trash, worry about a good launch and best times.

Have fun and post your slips :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
As mentioned above, avoid the burnout box since you're on street tires. I've found that it helps to deflate your tires a few PSI, but don't do anything crazy. Launch on the last yellow to get a better reaction time, and above all, don't money shift it!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input! I will be watching others stage and the tree for sure, so I have a vague idea of what to expect when I line up. My gut was to avoid the water box and just focus on making a good launch and pass - thank you for confirming that.

Will post slips and results after next week!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Lol and most importantly make sure you're in 1st and not Reverse, there was a video from back in the day.... the guy overshot the line and they had him back up, a bit and he forgot to go back to first.. Launch failed!

Seriously bro have a good time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol and most importantly make sure you're in 1st and not Reverse, there was a video from back in the day.... the guy overshot the line and they had him back up, a bit and he forgot to go back to first.. Launch failed!

Seriously bro have a good time.

Ha, that would be a sight! Will be a blast and something different compared to HPDE's and Endurance Road Racing. Friday trackday at the strip with the E39 and then Monday first trackday of the year at Mid Ohio with the E36 :grin

·
Registered
172 Posts
You should have no problem beating a gen 1 V with only a tune and exhaust on 245 all seasons.

That being said, don't pop the clutch and don't ride the clutch either. I also would advise against launching at anything over say 1500-2000, you'll just axle hop on street tires.

Get the car out of the hole first then pin it to win it. If you feel it start axle hopping, back out immediately.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should have no problem beating a gen 1 V with only a tune and exhaust on 245 all seasons.

That being said, don't pop the clutch and don't ride the clutch either. I also would advise against launching at anything over say 1500-2000, you'll just axle hop on street tires.

Get the car out of the hole first then pin it to win it. If you feel it start axle hopping, back out immediately.

This is great advice and what I was hoping for. Technique (and timing) is everything in drag racing right? I don’t doubt I’m not the underdog but don’t want to assume I’m being handed a victory either.

Solid launch and then let the S62 do its thing. Then victory beers

·
Registered
172 Posts
This is great advice and what I was hoping for. Technique (and timing) is everything in drag racing right? I don’t doubt I’m not the underdog but don’t want to assume I’m being handed a victory either.

Solid launch and then let the S62 do its thing. Then victory beers

try this, you should find some past stories on this board about going to the strip

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion+drag+racing&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS734US734&oq=site:m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion+drag+racing&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.4159j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

when bondospecial still owned this car he came with me to a Mustang6G forum track rental at Maryland International. We both had a lot of traction and axle hop issues (first time I'd ever raced a stick car on the 1/4). I ran the car at Island Dragway on crappy all seasons and couldn't hook at all in first and part of second. Ended up running a 13.8, bleh!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drag strip update.... anticlimactic warning

So the drag day did not happen. The event coordinator came down with a bad illness and is still in the hospital. They also had poor registration numbers so it is being postponed until later this year. Oh well, I'll be ready to run toe to toe with the V.

That was Friday, then I had the first track day (road course) of the year at Mid Ohio on Monday and it was 41F and raining all day. Bah! If anyone knows Mid Ohio, it is a handful in the rain, final session here: <iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lD8BPQM22wg?start=7" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Once I do get to run I'll post up results, thanks to everyone for their advice!

·
Registered
745 Posts
What's up with all that 1st gear wheel hop on launch on all seasons? Why does that occur? It's annoying as F to me. I've had the car go into a buck like a bucking bronco sometimes when trying to dig into first and it doesn't like it. DSC OFF.

·
Registered
248 Posts
What's up with all that 1st gear wheel hop on launch on all seasons? Why does that occur? It's annoying as F to me. I've had the car go into a buck like a bucking bronco sometimes when trying to dig into first and it doesn't like it. DSC OFF.
Its all about throttle application in 1st in these cars - really the way I see it, from the factory they're geared with 1st being the gear to get you going from a dead stop and 2nd to get you moving how you see fit.

Wheel hop is a great way to destroy your Diff. Careful doing that.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Its all about throttle application in 1st in these cars - really the way I see it, from the factory they're geared with 1st being the gear to get you going from a dead stop and 2nd to get you moving how you see fit.

Wheel hop is a great way to destroy your Diff. Careful doing that.
Great advice here, thank you!

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
Ages ago I tried to write up a how-to about launching the M5 (or any higher power RWD car) and found it very hard to put into words...nonetheless, here's a link to the post. In terms of getting a good 60' time, managing that initial weight transfer to the rear is your best friend. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts