BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time doing clay bar on the Beast. Followed up with Porter Cable and Lake Country pads with McGuire's products. 8 hour day but well worth it!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Awesome job well done

Reactions: michowen

·
Registered
476 Posts
how affective was the porter cable on the clear? how many passes did you have to do for the final result? i have been wanting to attempt this myself as i too have a porter cable, but i feel that it would be a complete waste of time and to just go ahead and buy a Flex polisher or pay someone to do it.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Looks great! I hope I can get my Anthracite to shine like that this Spring. I bought a clay kit, just waiting for the weather to ge nice here in the Rust Belt.

Any before shots from the same angle? Would be cool to see the difference.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really don't have any before and after shots. What sold me on the clay bar was using a plastic bag. Put your hand in a plastic bag and run it along the paint. You will be able to feel all the crud on your paint. I could feel all the build up and decided to give the clay bar a shot.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sweet! Which products did you use on it after the clay bar? Did you use anything special on the glass? I'm a neat freak about clean glass.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did Mother's Clay Bar. Then I used McGuier's paint cleaner with the Porter Cable with the white light cutting foam pad from Autogeek.Net, which is from Lake Country. After that it was simply applying McGuier's polish by hand and then following up with Carnuba from McGuier's using the Port Cable. Afterwards I used the McGuier's Synthetic spray with microtowellls I got from Costco.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Great job! Gorgeous car, just give it a drop man!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Shinny! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
130 Posts
WOW! That looks great, you'll be sleeping well tonight.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I did Mother's Clay Bar. Then I used McGuier's paint cleaner with the Porter Cable with the white light cutting foam pad from Autogeek.Net, which is from Lake Country. After that it was simply applying McGuier's polish by hand and then following up with Carnuba from McGuier's using the Port Cable. Afterwards I used the McGuier's Synthetic spray with microtowellls I got from Costco.
Thanks! I get my microfiber towels at Wal-Mart. They are really cheap there. I spent the second part of my afternoon yesterday cutting through the winter crud on my son's E39...it was so dirty I felt sorry for it. I've got to get some of that synthetic spray to put some sparkle on it.

Can you recommend a wheel cleaner? The pads on his E39 put out something that makes his wheels look like the photoshop job on this thread.

Then I took it out for a spin to...er...dry it off a bit more and the SES light popped on so today's adventure will be explore codes with my Peake reader...:haha:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Daaaaaamn! :eek:h:
Now thats what you call a shine

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! I get my microfiber towels at Wal-Mart. They are really cheap there. I spent the second part of my afternoon yesterday cutting through the winter crud on my son's E39...it was so dirty I felt sorry for it. I've got to get some of that synthetic spray to put some sparkle on it.

Can you recommend a wheel cleaner? The pads on his E39 put out something that makes his wheels look like the photoshop job on this thread.

Then I took it out for a spin to...er...dry it off a bit more and the SES light popped on so today's adventure will be explore codes with my Peake reader...:haha:

I really can't say much about wheel cleaners as I only use car wash soap on my wheels. Just as an FYI, my wheels were refinished by Prince Wheels about one year ago. It was worth the money and the wait.d

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sweet! Which products did you use on it after the clay bar? Did you use anything special on the glass? I'm a neat freak about clean glass.
Nothing special on the glass btw. I just make sure they get dry after the wash.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I really can't say much about wheel cleaners as I only use car wash soap on my wheels. Just as an FYI, my wheels were refinished by Prince Wheels about one year ago. It was worth the money and the wait.d
What kind of finish did you get? I'll likely get this done eventually when I get a spare set of wheels for winter use.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Powder coated chrome shadow finish a tad darker than original oem. Prince sent me pics of two finishes to choose from and I went for the darker one and they came out as promised. Also read somewhere on this board about the metal valve covers hitting the finish on the wheels at higher speeds so just went to standard old black cover and put my originals in a bag and in my trunk.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Looks great!! Awesome job.:applause:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts