BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the pleasure of a night out in Sheffield last Friday - and the even greater pleasure of a blast over the A57 Snake Pass.

First time I've really driven the car hard for anything more than a couple of minutes.

Impressions? Well - I REALLY enjoyed myself. Grip levels are incredible - wet or dry. Instant throttle response a real joy (although I wish it had a huge lump of midrange torque so you don't have to rev the knackers off it!). Overtaking ability - great.

The only minus point - and it's a big one - the steering is crap. And before you all go on about steering box adjustment, it doesn't need it.

The steering is slow-witted, lifeless and lacking detailed feel. And the steering wheel itself is just ridiculously large!

Nevertheless, this one minus point hasn't blunted my enthusiasm for the old girl. Before I bought her, Kurt told me that his car really "grew" on him (so much so he's sold it now!), but I couldn't agree more.

Sure, there are quicker cars. And sure, there are better handling/gripping cars. But as a package - I like mine more every day! :1: :1: :1:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Not sold yet Rob (boo hoo), but I still meant what I said about it growing on you!! The steering is definitely an 'acquired taste', and your point about mid-range grunt rings true with me too. But those really are relatively minor shortcomings. I've definitely been spoilt by the 944T which addresses those two issues completely. I can almost forgive it for sounding like a concrete mixer in comparison...

I don't think anyone on this forum would argue - the M5 (esp in e34 guise) is the best big saloon car driving experience you can get. The closest I've been to a sale (so far - and it wasn't that close) on mine is a guy moving back from an e39 M5. Nuff said.

Enjoy....

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I find that you can compensate for the poor steering feel by:
1) keeping the suspension on 'S'
2) using decent tyres with stiff sidewalls
3) keeping the steering wheel off-centre to remove the 'dead' area

It will never be as pointy as a 500kg Cateradifield

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mmm-Five said:
I find that you can compensate for the poor steering feel by:
1) keeping the suspension on 'S'
2) using decent tyres with stiff sidewalls
3) keeping the steering wheel off-centre to remove the 'dead' area

It will never be as pointy as a 500kg Cateradifield
Hi Tony,

I had the suspension on "S."

Tyres are Michelin Pilot - stiff sidewall? I don't know.

Keeping steering wheel off centre is far to complicated for my simple brain. When you get up to speeds approaching 60mph ( :haha2: ) then you need to concentrate on keeping on the black stuff......... :D

Of course, I'd never expect it to be anything like my Striker, cos it weighs well over 3 times as much and it's much slower. It's a BUS by comparison!

Cheers for the pointers though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Rob,

They all suffer from it .... it's my biggest gripe with the cars. The steering is always vague on centre with very little difference between an old and a new steering box. They are susceptible to anything on the front setup that isn't perfect. Check the front tyres as any uneven or high wear contributes to that 'wooly' feel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts