BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I never wanted to post here about my touring b/c honestly, I felt the purists would hate it. But since I just purchased a Sterling Gray 03 M5, I thought I could use that as an excuse to post here :)

More will come on the M5. I need to do a little bit of cosmetic work (needs bumpers) and it has a parasitic draw which from my searching on here implies it is most likely the FSU or the radar detector. It has 97k miles and is in incredible shape.

Now to my true passion, my 99 individual E39 touring in Mojave Brown that I have swapped a Thompson LSx 427 7.0L with a comp cam, springs etc, a T56 Tremec Magnum 6 speed, twin clutch (ZR1), M5 axles, driveshaft and diff that has been modified to fit a triple clutch setup and is sporting a 3.62 gearset from an E46 M3. Dual 3" exhaust with twin Borla XR-1 mufflers.

Other mods include the following: Fortune 500 coilovers (first touring prototype set), Aftermarket Mtech bumpers, piano black window trim, M5 extended leather interior, Alcantara headliner, Nissan Murano projectors with Orion V2 angel eyes, Celis Euro tail lights, all new diff bushings and subframe bushings, reinforced diff mount, Shroeder 1.25" sway bar and probably tons of other stuff I am forgetting.

I have to blame Clay (M5hunter/357i) for this car. I had a wonderful turbo M52 E34 that was featured in Bimmer magazine this year. But the day I rode in and drove Clay's LS1 E36, I knew my E34 had to go :)

Diff mount

More pix in high res instead of crappy cell shots. He now just has to finish welding all the seams. He has to cut the corner off the battery tray area to route the tips so that won't be done in time for Bfest but other than that, I am loving it! Got the M5 with 3.62 gears in. Only about 1/4" of clearance on the passenger side pipe.

·
Registered
355 Posts
That car looks very familiar lol........very nice...glad you finally posted on the board.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Love the touring!!! What's up with the 530 front bumper and square mirrors on the M?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to be here, Chris!

The previous owner swapped out a number of the M5 cosmetics onto one of his other cars. That and the parasitic draw were the reason I bought it. It is mechanically sound and in incredible shape overall. I will return it to stock over the next few months.

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Welcome to the Board!! Great to see you over here! BEAUTIFUL work on the wagon. I still regret that I didn't pick up your E34 when I had the chance! And congrats on finally picking up an E39 M5! I know you've wanted one for a while. You will love it!

--Peter

·
Registered
529 Posts
Wow. Awesome ride :thumbsup:

We let Shivvy motor guys hang out here, mainly so they can clown on us for being toolbags with M5's.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the Board!! Great to see you over here! BEAUTIFUL work on the wagon. I still regret that I didn't pick up your E34 when I had the chance! And congrats on finally picking up an E39 M5! I know you've wanted one for a while. You will love it!

--Peter
Thanks, Peter. You, me and Clay need to all get together soon. How is your car coming along?

Wow. Awesome ride :thumbsup:

We let Shivvy motor guys hang out here, mainly so they can clown on us for being toolbags with M5's.
Thanks! lololol

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Strong work! I think the M5 will feel like a 328 based on your other dyno. Did you do all the mods yourself, if so nice garage.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Welcome aboard, Brandon.
Your garage shows the wrong car though.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yeah, I have never posted so I do need to update.

I did much of the work myself but Clay did the cutting/welding in the cargo well and I had someone else do the exhaust. Another friend of mine hooked up the gauges and is now workin on getting my A/C going. My wife and I just built a house with a nice sized 3 car garage with 13.5 ft ceilings. Planning on adding a 4 post lift soon.

Edit: garage updated.

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Thanks, Peter. You, me and Clay need to all get together soon. How is your car coming along?

l
Agreed!

My beast slowly but surely is converting into a primarily track car. I just sold my Recaros and my Schroth quick-fits for some Sparco Ergos and six-points, no interior now, MCS triple-adjustables. Etc. Should be done in the next 2-3 months, though I've been saying that for a while now!

--Peter

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
What did you do with your old interior, Peter? PM me if available please.
You won't be able to respond to a PM because you don't have enough posts yet. I still have many bits of my interior left if you need them: door cards and miscellaneous pieces. I am striving to retain my headliner and my center console.

--Peter

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can you shoot me a PM on bf.c with your number so I can call you? I don't have it anymore since my old phone died. Same username.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts