BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, just picked up my car tonight after having the UUC SSK, DSSR and black tranny mounts with TME and the Tubi's installed. All I can say is "Wow"! First of all, everyone out there with an M5 should be putting in the UUC SSK/DSSR combo...what a difference, a HUGE improvement! Shift throws are so short now, that it took a while before I stopped thinking that I had to yank the shift lever more for 2nd gear - it was ALREADY in 2nd!! Very snick-snickety...the way it should be!! Very nice action...great job Rob!!

The Tubi's sound incredible! Noticeably more rumble than the stockers - which was surprising since many around here said that they couldn't tell the difference at first. I don't think I have the louder version...but not sure how to tell. Anyway, they are louder...not in a bad way at all, but I wonder if it won't get tiresome after a while. The big thing I noticed was a drop in my low-rpm torque!! This is strictly by my butt-meter, but the drop is definitely there. Is this normal? Seems that I may have picked up a bit more on top, but I miss that push down low! Do I need a Powerchip to compensate??

More later...

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I don't think that a drop in low rpm torque is normal. It may be psychological because you're instinctively not pushing the accelerator pedal as hard because of the increased exhaust noise. But I'm not a good test subject. I already had the Powerchip in my car when I had the Tubis installed, and the power was either the same or a bit better at all rpm.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Congratulations on the Mods! You are on your way....
I had my car dyno'd before and after all of the mods, no loss of low end torque. more hp! You may want the 3.45 diff gears. LOL :cheers:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I totally agree with your assesment regarding the SSK & DSSR. A really nice difference! I got mine installed about a month ago and love it.

I had my Tubi's installed Thursday (2 days of driving) and the audible difference was slight, when compared to OEM. At low RPM's it has a nice "burbling" sound, and at higher RPM's (on the highway) it has a really nice "high-pitch" tone...a more "exotic" tone. Not Muscle-car sounding, but more Ferrari like. The Tubi's are not really loud, and I am glad. I was wanting a refined/exotic tone without it being WAY LOUD...combined with a little better throttle response, a slight "bump" in HP, resulting in improved performance ...and that is what I now have! My understanding is the Tubi's will get a LITTLE louder as time goes by. I like the fact that they are not at all distracting or overly loud from inside the cabin. But with the windows down and stereo off it really brings a smile to my face!

I had Dinan Stage 1 software when I had the Tubi's installed Thursday and installed the Powerchip Gold 93 Friday. I really have not been able to tell any difference in performance yet between the 2 software programs. But, I can tell you that the people at Powerchip seem to take a genuine interest in what mods I now have and what mods I will be considering in the future. With that said, Joel at Powerchip said he would not only program my software for the mods I have now, but will modify the software as I add specific mods later.

I can tell you that if you are utilizing the factory software now, you will notice a very substantial increase in performance once you get Dinan or Powerchip.

One last thing. If your Tubi's are THAT LOUD, you may very well have a leak in the exhaust...mine are not that loud.

Robert

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
After I installed the Tubi, I had PowerChip update the previous version software to the version they optimized for the Tubi exhaust. There was a noticable and worthwhile difference. :M5launch:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
One last thing. If your Tubi's are THAT LOUD, you may very well have a leak in the exhaust...mine are not that loud.
If they are really LOUD, then they might be contacting the crossmember. That transmits the sound directly into the cabin. You should check that out.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
buymenow00 said:
The Tubi's sound incredible! Noticeably more rumble than the stockers - which was surprising since many around here said that they couldn't tell the difference at first. I don't think I have the louder version...but not sure how to tell. Anyway, they are louder...not in a bad way at all, but I wonder if it won't get tiresome after a while. The big thing I noticed was a drop in my low-rpm torque!! This is strictly by my butt-meter, but the drop is definitely there. Is this normal? Seems that I may have picked up a bit more on top, but I miss that push down low!
I had my Tubi's installed Thursday morning. 2 hours labor at Bullet Performance. Fairly smooth install, no issues.

I like them. They are definitely quiet, but with much more character than before. I hope they get a little louder. I didn't notice any loss of torque, but I didn't have any objective measurement. Plus, I've probably been driving more aggressively lately, to really hear the exhaust.

Are those stock pipes the ugliest things you've ever seen or what?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I too just had my Tubi installed and thought I also noticed a minor loss in low end torque. Also, my Tubi is definitely louder than stock, and this is NOT the louder version. I am also noticing some greater vibrations than normal and thought I would have that checked out. Anyone else experience greater than normal vibrations?
TripleD

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
On the vibration issue, check to be sure no portion of the pipes are contacting the underbody anywhere. The tightest clearance is near the bracket near the front where they connect just aft of the cats. They will get a bit louder over time and the engine should be stronger overall, not weaker. It seemed to help performance when I disconnected the battery for about 10 min. or so and reconnected it. I think this resets the engine computer and it will relearn based what it now sees in terms of engine breathing. Or at least that's what it seems like. Be advised that disconnecting the battery will also make some of the memorized things go away, like the trip computer mpg (but on my car, the radio station presets stayed in memory). :M5rev:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts