BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

First time owner of a 2009 M5 purchased untitled last year. Beginning of last winter, had winter tires put on and now as the snow has (almost) gone and it's getting warmer, thinking time to put on summer tires again. When the OEM tires (Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
Front: 255/40ZR19, Rear: 285/35ZR19)
were taken off, the service guy said the left rear was down to 1mm and to consider changing (at the time about 14k miles on the car). So here's my question: what recommendations for the tires, brands, pricing etc? And is it ok to mix and match front and rear? I know this may seem a basic girly question but heck, I am a girl :) Help, advice and suggestions please!

Oh, by the way, winter tires don't mean anything, still a beast to try and drive in the snow! I live and learn!

·
Registered
13 Posts
You could consider buying the same PS2, as they are excellent tires, because the new Michelin Super Sports tires are not available in this size. A second possibility would be to try the new Bridgestone Potenza S04, which was made to compete with the Michelin Super Sports and are available in M5 sizes. See Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position . These Bridgestones are supposed to last longer than the Michelin PS2's.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
My recommendation would be the new Continental ExtremeContact DW (there is also an all season version called the ExtremeContact DWS - do not get these two mixed up). The DWS has reviewed very well, but form here on out in my post, I will be speaking of the DW summer tires.

In fact, I just got the ExtremeContact DW's put on my daily driver (an 04 G35 Coupe 6MT). The OEM tires are PS2's as well, but I had been running Falken FK452's for a while. My driving became mostly highway and the noise of the Falkens at speed bothered me, so I started looking for a tire in the PS2's category.

I read through tons of stuff and the ExtremeContact DW's came out on top. They have more ultimate grip in the dry as well as the wet, and also ride softer than the PS2. The small cons are slightly less turn-in feel and an indiscernible increase in noise (the rating was .1 difference on a 1-10 scale). The reduced turn-in feel is due to the softer sidewall which gives the DW the nicer ride over the PS2. Finally, they are also have a longer tread wear rating.

And they are 60% of the cost of the PS2's to boot! PS2 set in OEM sizes on tirerack are 1720, while the DW are 1060 last time I checked!

So it's basically a better PS2 for almost half the price.

I'm really really happy with them on my G35. I should note that initially they were loud and rode harsh, but after driving for 500 miles or so the noise completely went away and the ride softened up quite a bit.

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
170 Posts
ditto on the extremecontact dw. I have them and am VERY VERY happy

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Another vote for Conti DW.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
SOOOO many tire posts.............sooooooooooo little time...PS2's are the most sticky and therefore the least mileage tire....Cont's are the next best and last longer, not as sticky...it's all in how you drive and what you want to do while driving...#1 and #2 brands

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
SOOOO many tire posts.............sooooooooooo little time...PS2's are the most sticky and therefore the least mileage tire....Cont's are the next best and last longer, not as sticky...it's all in how you drive and what you want to do while driving...#1 and #2 brands
The PS2 is not the stickiest tire anymore. It's an old tire and new tires have surpassed it. That would be the Continental ExtremeContact DW referred to many times in this thread.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Guys,

First time owner of a 2009 M5 purchased untitled last year. Beginning of last winter, had winter tires put on and now as the snow has (almost) gone and it's getting warmer, thinking time to put on summer tires again. When the OEM tires (Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
Front: 255/40ZR19, Rear: 285/35ZR19)
were taken off, the service guy said the left rear was down to 1mm and to consider changing (at the time about 14k miles on the car). So here's my question: what recommendations for the tires, brands, pricing etc? And is it ok to mix and match front and rear? I know this may seem a basic girly question but heck, I am a girl :) Help, advice and suggestions please!

Oh, by the way, winter tires don't mean anything, still a beast to try and drive in the snow! I live and learn!
The beast deserves nothing less than ps2.
If you want to save by getting contis then get a cheaper car.
If you want to drive a bus then get bridgestone.
Just my 2c speaking from experience with these tires on multiple cars...

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Pirelli System Corsas, better life than PS2 as they are a softer compound (more grip!). Better life and better in the cold/wet than Pilot super sports. P ZERO CORSA SYSTEM, CAR Tyres, summer Tyres - PIRELLI

Not cheap but best tyre by some margin that I have ever used. Do a search on here, they get great reviews!

Can't comment on Conti DW's

I wouldn't advise on mix and match tyre types or brands even from the same manufacture, tyres come with very different characteristics etc and could cause all sorts of issues and could be protencially dangerous.

Regards

Jay

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Ps2s are by far the best tires ive driven on in many ways. And yes they are expensive but to many worth it.

I'm currently driving on yokohama s drives and I'm going to rate them 9 out of 10. Very wide tire shoulders and run a little wider than most tires. I love them so far and put roughly 8k miles on them.

·
Registered
314 Posts
All very good recommendations but each driver has what's important to them in a tire based on how they drive. If someone never gets to a track nor a back road ultimate dry grip may not be what you're looking for.
Decide what’s important to you, wet weather traction, tread life, road noise, price point…the list goes on.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:haha:<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

Good luck and chime in with what you buy.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The beast deserves nothing less than ps2.
If you want to save by getting contis then get a cheaper car.
If you want to drive a bus then get bridgestone.
Just my 2c speaking from experience with these tires on multiple cars...

Thats exactly what Michelin would want you to say ;)

I have had every tire in the book on my cars and the DW's are great for the money. They are a consumable that wears out very quickly why waste the money on Michelins. There are very few people here who could even come close to driving to the limits of these tires.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.