BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Company Representative for Valley Motorwerks
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my Rogue Engineering shifter today.. easy peasy and now my shifts are buttery smooth. Despite the shorter throw shifting is quick and precise with no hint of notchiness due to the weighted selector rod. The other day I installed my Intravee2 and KC420i Ipod adapter. It works just so so.. it makes music but the interface is buggy unlike my M3 or my 540 that I had one in. I may switch to the DICE Mediabridge, we'll see. Additionally I ended up with a pair of rear OEM wheels that I shod with matching tires for the front of the beast... they look great and since they're OEM I have no worries about shake or shimmy. So far the car is awesome and I still have a few things to install, PSS9's, Rogue X-Pipe, DVD based nav etc.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Make sure you're running the latest Nav OS, and update the Intravee firmware if you haven't already. I'm running the latest Intravee firmware beta and it's been as close to perfect of an iPod solution as I've ever used. It has minor glitches from time to time, but it's light years better than the DICE I had in my E46.

·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure you're running the latest Nav OS, and update the Intravee firmware if you haven't already. I'm running the latest Intravee firmware beta and it's been as close to perfect of an iPod solution as I've ever used. It has minor glitches from time to time, but it's light years better than the DICE I had in my E46.

Good call.. I just checked my Intravee firmware and it's 5.x or something like that. I'm waiting for forum approval so I can get the updated software. Were you running the Mediabridge? My goal is to run the KC420i along with the SIR-ALP1 for satellite radidio.. :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Haven't tried the MediaBridge, but I did use two previous generations of DICE. The interface on the Intravee is an order of magnitude better, and with all the latest firmwares on both the Intravee and Nav, I've only had 2-3 glitches in the past 12 months, and I use it every day (sometimes for hundreds of miles at a stretch).

That being said, I have a BM53 with the 16x9 screen, so I'd imagine most of the kinks had been worked out on the radio side by the time my car was built. I wish there were a Bluetooth option that didn't involve a $500 ULF, and a reasonably priced reverse camera for the US folks with no TV module, but I guess one has to pay to play when it comes to this car :hihi:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Definately right on the pay to play. I don't know if this forum is a blessing or a curse! Every time I read a little it seems to cost me $$$$$$$. All worth it though. Would love to do more with the audio and +1 on the Bluetooth dilemma.

·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a TV module I bought for my M3. I was going to use it as a way to get DVD movies onto my nav screen. It came with the converter box.

·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Added the SIR-ALP1 Sirius module... works great with the Ipod adapter in series. One issue is choosing the stations seems kludgy but maybe I need to mess with the options...

Yeah I need gas, or needed it anyway.

·
Registered
93 Posts
More than a feeling- little Boston huh? Someone likes the classics! Congrats on the install, I'm jealous.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've been wanting to put dice or something comparable in for a while now but everytime I'm ready to do it this forum convinces me of a performance mod or maintenance. Just installed my GC's two weekends ago, so I'm stuck with the tape deck iPhone adapter for now:sad2:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Valley MotorWerks

How long was your car running when you took the dashboard shot?

Looks like you may need a new thermostat??

Check the OBC hidden menu and see where you coolant temps are running, should be min 78-79C.

Just thought I would mention as my dash looked like that when I purchased my car, but I also knew the stat was bad.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Good call.. I just checked my Intravee firmware and it's 5.x or something like that. I'm waiting for forum approval so I can get the updated software. Were you running the Mediabridge? My goal is to run the KC420i along with the SIR-ALP1 for satellite radidio.. :)
I'm surprised that the SIRALP1 works at all with V5 firmware! You should at least get the V6 release and email [email protected] to ask for the V6.02 pre-release.

·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Valley MotorWerks

How long was your car running when you took the dashboard shot?

Looks like you may need a new thermostat??

Check the OBC hidden menu and see where you coolant temps are running, should be min 78-79C.

Just thought I would mention as my dash looked like that when I purchased my car, but I also knew the stat was bad.
Car is fine, performed a Tstat change earlier in the week. Drove 3 blocks to a gas station where the photos were taken. :) FWIW if the gauge never gets beyond 1/4 or so the tstat is bad... luckily for us it sticks open and not closed!

I'm surprised that the SIRALP1 works at all with V5 firmware! You should at least get the V6 release and email [email protected] to ask for the V6.02 pre-release.
Sorry, I updated the firmware as part of the SIR-ALP1 install... forgot to mention

·
Registered
113 Posts
you may know this already, having worked on other e39 m5s (many other cars fall victim to this, as well) in the past, but our fuel pumps are very susceptible to overheating when the tank is that low. surprised no one mentioned it, yet ;)

·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you may know this already, having worked on other e39 m5s (many other cars fall victim to this, as well) in the past, but our fuel pumps are very susceptible to overheating when the tank is that low. surprised no one mentioned it, yet ;)
I am well aware of it thanks! I rarely drop below 1/4 tank.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
This had never occurred to me about the fuel pump overheating thing, many thanks :)

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Yes, it's advisable not to run below 1/4 tank for any length of time. As the pump is immersed in the petrol it cools the pump significantly.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Car is fine, performed a Tstat change earlier in the week. Drove 3 blocks to a gas station where the photos were taken. :) FWIW if the gauge never gets beyond 1/4 or so the tstat is bad... luckily for us it sticks open and not closed!

Quick question valley motorwerks..
Did the bad thermostat have any adverse affects on performance? I think mines bad as it smells like its running rich still and the needle looks like that unless I'm driving hard.. 77-79 on the stat test on the freeway..

I was also thinking about installing the DICE but I think what you have appeals to me more ;)) just like someone said this board has me spending $$$!

On another note.. I've still got to find some time to check out your alpine white!! One of the best colors

·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No real degradation in power that I could feel. If you want to go with Powerchip I'm going to do mine and probably one other, in the next few weeks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts