BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening to all the uk owners and afternoon/morning to everyone everywhere else!

Recently signed upto the forum and woah what a hive of information it is nothing a search wont cover and dont worry i wont be posting up lots of threads that have been covered before im familiar with forum layouts :)

Me i work as a technician at volkswagen and in my spare time a very keen detailer

So to introduce my car ive owned since start of febuary this year,

Owned about a month i had numerous lights come up on the dash board revealing themselves to be crank sensor faults fuel pressure and a whole host of others!

Luckily i purchased a warranty at the time and the car was booked in, upon further inspection they found the clutch had recently been done but a rivet/bolt had come loose and took the end off the crank sensor burying itself into the flywheel very unlucky indeed

Needless to say all back on track and loving the whole v10 experience

Abit about the car its a 2006 with 83k on full history and 3 previous owners

Unsure on the colour but it seems to be a rare onyx blue....any elaboration on this would be great :)

Modifications ive since carried out are pipercross panel filters, RPI scoops and block off plates And a new custom made work of art exhaust system cat back, decat and 2 centre silencers 400mm in length, balance pipe has also been moved forward to increase torque slightly

Have been to a dyno before i changed the exhaust and the outcome was 492bhp this was a dyno dynamics dyno so they measure at the wheels and add 30% this dyno worked differently not too sure on what to make perhaps someone could shed some light on this

Pictures as we all know speak a thousand words so here she is :D

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Looks good my friend. Your exhaust welds look like quality work also. Enjoy your beast in good health and keep the mods coming. Look into Evolve tuning.

Dan

·
Registered
759 Posts
You said, "Unsure on the colour but it seems to be a rare onyx blue....any elaboration on this would be great" I say, there is a paint code on a label under the hood near the right fender. It will also give a name for the color, such as "Black Sapphire Metallic" Also, a BMW dealer should be able to decode your VIN and give you a complete build spec for your car.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Nice ride and some nice detailing, what's your detailing process? Personally I part of the enjoyment of ownership is the detailing.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Welcome and congrats!
Nice looking exhaust. Please post video with the sound :)
I'm 99% sure it's Carbon black paint. It's bluish in bright outdoor light and black when it's cloudy or dark.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Welcome and congrats!
The exhaust looks awesome, shame its under the car with quality work like that but I'm sure it sounds nice enough to make up for it.
Colour wise its difficult to tell but certainly wouldn't be surprised if that is Carbon Black. Does she look dark blue in strong sunlight? As per previous advice just grab the code or do a VIN check for the paint colour.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Welcome and congrats!
Nice looking exhaust. Please post video with the sound :)
I'm 99% sure it's Carbon black paint. It's bluish in bright outdoor light and black when it's cloudy or dark.

Did they offer that overseas? I didn't think they offered Carbon Black in the States on the E60 M5. I wish they had, I prefer it to Black Sapphire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Many thanks for the warm welcome!

The colour is weird it's a Matt grey in overcast weather and a pearl blue in direct sunlight very strange!

To detail the bmw I found the paint quite hard so could be aggressive with it
3m fastcut with a hard foam pad
3m superfina with ultra soft pad to remove micromarring from fastcut
Dodo juice like prime to make the glitter really pop out
Dodo juice blue velvet to seal it all in
Numerous snow foaming inbetween polishing and washing to remove any dust etc

The exhaust is really a work of art the company specializes in everything fabrication wise from fuel tanks to formula one radiators and chassis stands
Mainly do Audi exhausts with great success but this got them excited having never done a v10

Videos as requested don't do it justice

M5 v10 dyno pull 6th gear - YouTube
M5 v10 new exhaust system fitted cat back small silencers - YouTube
M5 V10 Cat back system 400mm centre custom silencers - YouTube

·
Registered
769 Posts
I live in Sweden so I don't know if it's available in the US. Carbon black is a great looking color. Craves a lot of maintanence, but looks beautiful when clean and polished.
I did a paint correction on mine and found it difficult to achieve perfection. I did a thread on it.

Did they offer that overseas? I didn't think they offered Carbon Black in the States on the E60 M5. I wish they had, I prefer it to Black Sapphire.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Awesome car mate, just got mine 3 weeks ago.
Exhaust looks quality, can I ask how much it cost, although I'm not sure I could get away with any mods as I got a BMW used car warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Awesome car mate, just got mine 3 weeks ago.
Exhaust looks quality, can I ask how much it cost, although I'm not sure I could get away with any mods as I got a BMW used car warranty.

Excellent mate hope your enjoying it! Give john at jcweldfab a ring see what he can do for you £1500 upwards bracket for what I had but you can have valves installed totally upto you how they spec it mate limitless and as you can see the welding is beautiful, they can make it so you can simply bolt yours back on shouldn't be an issue that what I have on mine ?

·
Registered
92 Posts
They do offer that color in the US, My 08 is Carbon Black and it does look about 6 shades of blue, until either bright sun or clouds, then its black.
It is a pain to detail. Its like a 4 pint job for me. I drink when I am detailing. It keeps me from driving it and making it dirty immediately.
Sometimes, if its a 6 pint job, i have to leave it in the driveway because its a tight fit in the garage and, well, do the math.
:cheers:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts