BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

It's been 1,200 beautiful miles since I've picked her up...It's a CB '01 with 42K miles. Impressions are:

1. The power is unbelievable. I'm scared to even bring it to redline.
2. The car is very loud...It does indeed sound very much like a diesel engine. I hope this is normal. Course, I didn't buy a Lexus so what do I expect?
3. The car warms up very fast. I used to drive a '01 S4 and that took forever to warm up.
4. Shifting into 2nd gear in the mornings is almost impossible. Does anyone else have this problem? Will forcing it into gear cause problems? Is it because the car is not warmed up?
5. Emergency brake might as well not be there...it does nothing.
6. Freeway driving is fun again.
7. 2nd gear to 3rd gear shifting is the worst in the sense of unsmoothness. (It's not my driving) Everything after that is smooth sailing.
8. I roll up the mirrors when parking even when there's no cars close to me. But if there are cars and people around me and I need to roll them up, I'm almost embarassed to do so. :rolleyes:
9. SES light came on once. Can't recall the exact error code, but fixed under warranty.
10. Gas mileage stinks.

I'm trying to decide if I want to buy the EasyCare extended warranty. Dealer said I need to buy it 1 month before manufacturer warranty expires. Is this true?

I absolutely love the car! :M5eyes:

·
Registered
192 Posts
bbfl said:
Hi all,

2. The car is very loud...It does indeed sound very much like a diesel engine. I hope this is normal. Course, I didn't buy a Lexus so what do I expect?
The diesel sound could come from a defective Vanos

bbfl said:
5. Emergency brake might as well not be there...it does nothing.
Whats emergency brake?

·
10,455 Posts
second gear can be a bear when cold. I find that if your gentle, it goes into gear easier than if you try to jam in in there.

The diesel sound is normal vanos noise. Some cars are worse than others, but when a vanos fails, it causes drivability problems and ses lights, not usually noise.
We could always compare the noise and second gears, it looks like we're nearby!
Mike

·
Registered
463 Posts
bbfl said:
The power is unbelievable. I'm scared to even bring it to redline.
That feeling will pass.:)

bbfl said:
The car is very loud...It does indeed sound very much like a diesel engine. I hope this is normal.
At idle? WOT? I guess the M5 is a little more "mechanical" sounding than my 540. Wouldn't say diesel. Noise could be VANOS related. Search the site here for more info.

bbfl said:
The car warms up very fast. I used to drive a '01 S4 and that took forever to warm up.
My tach lights go out after about 5-10 minutes; oil temp takes a good 10 minutes to get warm.

bbfl said:
Shifting into 2nd gear in the mornings is almost impossible. Does anyone else have this problem? Will forcing it into gear cause problems? Is it because the car is not warmed up?
Something may not be right if you're in the Bay area (i.e., relatively temperate climate) and it's so hard to get 2nd. Do you have a short shift kit? Some resistance is normal with the OEM shifter when the car is cold, and even more so in cold weather. On really cold days, I'll sometimes shift 1-3. But I have a short shift kit and live in the northeast. Lately, with the warmer weather here, it's been much better.

Edit: you might try fresh tranny fluid. according to the paperwork I have, BMW replaces the tranny fluid on the M5 at the 1200 mile service, but not again, not even at Inspection II. Fresh fluid might help you at 41k miles.

bbfl said:
Emergency brake might as well not be there...it does nothing.
Parking brake may need adjustment or new shoes.

bbfl said:
2nd gear to 3rd gear shifting is the worst in the sense of unsmoothness.
I find the 2-3 shift to be a little more rpm sensitive in casual driving than, say, 1-2 or 3-4. Try making the 2-3 shift around 3.5k to 4k rpm. Works for me.

bbfl said:
I roll up the mirrors when parking even when there's no cars close to me.
The coolest feature I never use. :rolleyes:

bbfl said:
Gas mileage stinks.
This is your car: cherrsagai This is you: :biggrin:

Congrats on the car!

·
Registered
147 Posts
bbfl said:
Hi all,

8. I roll up the mirrors when parking even when there's no cars close to me. But if there are cars and people around me and I need to roll them up, I'm almost embarassed to do so. :rolleyes:
:M5eyes:
I guess I am not familiar with this feature. Please explain.

·
Registered
237 Posts
jlindy said:
I guess I am not familiar with this feature. Please explain.
There's a small square button next to your mirror controls...push it with the car stopped and your side mirrors on both sides will rotate in closer to the body. Great for when parking in tight spots to avoid people snagging on your mirrors or simply to increase clearance.

I found out about this totally by accident - i was very pleasantly surprised!

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I'm also in the Bay Area. When I had my M5, never had a problem shifting into any gear, even in the coldest days, including a Autosolutions SSK. You should get that checked out.

Vanos noise should last no more than a few seconds on cold start up, then normal engine sound. If the diesel-like noise persists, something could be wrong.

What's your gas mileage? My life-time average over 64k miles is 18.6 MPG. Can't complain for a big V8.

Enjoy your car, it's a gem.

CP

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
bbfl said:
Hi all,
4. Shifting into 2nd gear in the mornings is almost impossible. Does anyone else have this problem? Will forcing it into gear cause problems? Is it because the car is not warmed up?

:M5eyes:
As others suggested, have the transmission checked out. New fluid usually helps as does a short shifter kit. When shifting from 1 to 2, you can also try pausing in the neutral gate for a split second before going back to second. It has always worked for me on all my cars. So for the first couple of shifts, go 1-N-2. See if that helps until the fluid warms up. Costs $0 to try!
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I will PM those who are close by...to possibly meet up or whatnot.

I listened really carefully and of course, the diesel sound went away. I think I may have been too paranoid before. Or at least I hope I was.

Driving in sport mode definitely made the shifting much easier! Does driving in sport mode lead to lower gas mileage?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
bbfl said:
Does driving in sport mode lead to lower gas mileage?

Thanks all!
That's an interesting question. I don't know of definitive studies, but I suspect it would. If nothing else, we tend to have a 'heavier' right foot when in sports mode.

There is a solution to that though - Power Chip. It makes the throttle feels like 'sports' regularly, and it does improve gas mileage, amongst it's many other benefits. Many board members (myself included) experienced that.

CP

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will definitely look into the Powerchip.

I tended to steer away from mods in general because of the negative experience I had with Audi. I chipped the S4 for the huge gains and went through the nightmare of telling the dealers it was never chipped so as to save my warranty...Huge deal for S4 owners.

Does the Powerchip void aftermarket warranties? Easycare if I choose to go with it? Can it be installed by myself?

Thanks again!:M5eyes:

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
bbfl said:
I will definitely look into the Powerchip.

I tended to steer away from mods in general because of the negative experience I had with Audi. I chipped the S4 for the huge gains and went through the nightmare of telling the dealers it was never chipped so as to save my warranty...Huge deal for S4 owners.

Does the Powerchip void aftermarket warranties? Easycare if I choose to go with it? Can it be installed by myself?

Thanks again!:M5eyes:
Powerchip is 'invisible' to BMW daignostic machines. BMW will never know that you have it unless they check your rev limits. Check Powerchip website for details.

You install it yourself. They ship you the OBD2 port reader cable, you download your OEM program, e-mail to them, they do their magic, e-mail program back, and you reload the PC program using the cable.

Two things to know:

(1) Your laptop must have // and serial ports for the OBD2 cable to work (most laptops only come with USB now). If not, an USD docking station does the trick.
(2) Since the OBD2 cable is the only way Power chip can do their business, and they do not have a bunch lying around, please return that as soon as you are done. That's common courtesy to PC and their other customers.

Do a search on Powerchip, they do a lot more for your M5 than meets the eye.

Good luck.

CP

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
bbfl said:
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I will PM those who are close by...to possibly meet up or whatnot.

I listened really carefully and of course, the diesel sound went away. I think I may have been too paranoid before. Or at least I hope I was.

Driving in sport mode definitely made the shifting much easier! Does driving in sport mode lead to lower gas mileage?

Thanks all!
bbfl,
Thanks for the writeup! Always nice to think back on the first 1200mi.

On shifting:
I do a 1-3 shift in the morning until it warms up a bit.
I don't think "sport" mode changes shifting if I remember correctly...just steering and throttle response.

On gas milage:
Not sure if "sport" mode makes it worse, but I'm with Pong...I think it gets worse. If I drive the car very gingerly, I can squeak 19 out of it. But where's the fun in that? :flag:

Powerchip is the way to go. Smoother throttle, better throttle response, no flat spots. I love it...

:cheers:

·
10,455 Posts
chunpng said:
(1) Your laptop must have // and serial ports for the OBD2 cable to work (most laptops only come with USB now). If not, an USD docking station does the trick.CP

An update on this... PC has usb adapters too, they sent me one for my lap top, which has a serial port but was missing the other port needed (can't remember what it's called), so i plugged into the serial and a usb port.

Another thumbs up for powerchip from me too.
Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome again!

Thanks for all of the info on the powerchip. I will definitely look into it. The only thing I have yet to get used to is the tighter steering. Does the powerchip just give you better throttle response or tighten up the steering as the sport mode does also?

Some other observations I would like to add:

1. I think my mpg could be better but driving on the freeway at 65mph just feels slow in this car. 80mph is the minimum I find myself cruising at.

2. Daytime running lights...Any way of turning these off?

3. Definitely a lot of tailgating! (there was a thread about this before) I don't understand it. I always get tailgated on by the worst cars possible. But usually I don't bother racing or speeding up on cars I know I can beat...which is 90% of cars on the road.

4. Car definitely does not feel its weight or size. It's very very nimble for a heavy sedan.

5. We have a baby due in August and I am looking forward to being the coolest and one of the fastest Dad's at my child's school. kinggf Until then, a baby seat in a M5 does not look as lame and typical as a Volvo. Recaro makes one good looking baby seat.

6. It's unbelievable how much respect I get on the road. People get out of the way in the fast lane a lot quicker now than when I'm driving the wife's car.

7. Do not buy TWS 10W-60 at Stevens Creek BMW. Allison and Fremont are both $8.75/liter. SC charged me $15 each. Justified it with a "Well...the price of oil has gone up in the last week..." I didn't know better and regretfully bought 2 liters. Can I return unopened oil?

Happy motoring!

·
10,455 Posts
Your dealer can turn off the DRL's, it's part of the 'car memory' options.

I have the recarro booster seat for my 5 year old son, it's a nice seat... and it looks good. If you do a search on the bmw uk site, you'll see bmw has some cools kid seats of their own, some with their f1 colors on them, too bad they don't import them here.

As for the powerchip, they improve throttle response in 'standard' mode and sport mode, but do not change the steering feel, so if you like the light feel, you can stay in std mode and have better response.

We should organize another bay area lunch, you can drive some cars and get a feel for it. That is what sold me on powerchip!
Mike

edit: Doh, Jeff beat me to the punch on the drl's!

bbfl said:
Awesome again!
2. Daytime running lights...Any way of turning these off?

5. We have a baby due in August and I am looking forward to being the coolest and one of the fastest Dad's at my child's school. kinggf Until then, a baby seat in a M5 does not look as lame and typical as a Volvo. Recaro makes one good looking baby seat.

Happy motoring!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts