BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little story about my drive to work this am.

Nice 75 degree morning heading off to work,windows down..... gonna be a great day(didn't drive the M to work last week for the first time in a few months).

After about 20 minutes of driving when making a turn I notice my blinker wasn't blinking when I used it,it was on but solid green.

I pulled over into an office complex and wheel around to a safe place and stepped out with the engine running......pushed the flashers button and stepped out.....flashers flashing both front and rear.

Flashers off,blinker on and working.

HHHmmmmm........stereo on,windows working,sunroof working,a/c not working(blower inside was working-clutch not engaged),headlights working.

I thought to myself how weird this was after 22 months of ownership and perfect performance up until today.

I climbed back in and decided to deal with it further when I got to work.

The first red light I came too I thought I just turn it off and restart it maybe that will cure it.

Wrong! It was a no go when I turned the key.

I checked that I had the clutch in and even flipped it off and too the key out and put it back in,but still dead.

Light turned green and luckily there was only one car in front and behind me and so I started to push slowly into a right turn lane that was slightly down hill.

Key on, I climbed in and tried to find second gear with no luck so I went for third(I was barely rolling),clutch out and right back in and it lit up, I pulled into a business and again did the same walk around as before.

I went onto work and pulled into my usual spot.

After a little thinking I turned it off.

Tach stuck at 2k,and again windows working etc but wouldn't start.

Popped the trunk,moved my spare,grabbed the 10mm wrench and disconnected the battery(at that point it was WTH might as well).

A few hours later I went out and reconnected the battery.

Key fob worked to lock,unlock,roll the windows down.

I got in and tried to start it but it would only fire off all the cylinders once and stop(did that a few times).

Got out my code reader and it gave me a code 82 and 86 so I cleared them and it fired right up.

When I went to leave work everything was back to normal.

So what causes code 82 - “EWS signal, manipulation detected”

and code 86 - Instrument Cluster message timeout

Thanks for any and all info.

:dunno:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
To me, it sounds voltage-related. Granted, I'm a newb to the E39, but the E46 is particularly sensitive to low operating voltage and you'll start to see very bizarre & unpredictable behavior long before you have a "dead" battery. I'm assuming the E39 is similar in that regard.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
To me, it sounds voltage-related. Granted, I'm a newb to the E39, but the E46 is particularly sensitive to low operating voltage and you'll start to see very bizarre & unpredictable behavior long before you have a "dead" battery. I'm assuming the E39 is similar in that regard.

Good Luck!
I second that as a guess to what might be causing the strange behavior. Before my battery died, I had some weird electrical things going on, but nowhere as strange as the ones the OP describes. The battery would be the first thing I would look at before moving on.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have learned that if I think something minor is up with my car DO NOT turn it off until I'm home. I always regret it.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Sounds to me like a battery issue.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me the other week lol.. i was in my garage tho....unplugged the battery and let it sit for 5 min then plugged back in...worked like normal and no issues sence.... still no idea what the issue was or what happened

1 - 8 of 8 Posts