BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Here's my issue. When i'm on p500 and in 3rd gear, the car goes into fail-sail mode, "engine malfunction" yada yada yada. I pulled codes last night and it came back as 2B37-DME: MISFIRE WUTH CUTOFF, CYL 3. So I think to myself, easy fix, buy a new coil and swap it out. However after a careful search, it turns out that the possibility of it being the Ionic Control Unit is very high. Tonight i'm going to swap the units to opposite banks to see if the code follows or stays the same. I just wanted to chime in to the board to see if you guys had any thoughts/opinions on the situation. Has this happened to anyone else recently and can confirm a fix other than the ionic control unit?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Possibilities:

- stuck (partially) open injector
- failed (failing) injector
- bad spark plug (it is the sensor for ionic control after all)
- bad coil
- bad harness plug at coil
- ionic module as mentioned
- bad compression
- fouled intake trumpet

Just a few, but the ionic modules can catch way more problems than conventional knock sensors...when they work properly.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey guys,

Here's my issue. When i'm on p500 and in 3rd gear, the car goes into fail-sail mode, "engine malfunction" yada yada yada. I pulled codes last night and it came back as 2B37-DME: MISFIRE WUTH CUTOFF, CYL 3. So I think to myself, easy fix, buy a new coil and swap it out. However after a careful search, it turns out that the possibility of it being the Ionic Control Unit is very high. Tonight i'm going to swap the units to opposite banks to see if the code follows or stays the same. I just wanted to chime in to the board to see if you guys had any thoughts/opinions on the situation. Has this happened to anyone else recently and can confirm a fix other than the ionic control unit?

Thanks
I had a similar problem last month with my E60 M5 after 112K miles of no issues. However, mime was #7 cylinder. :(

So, I simply went out and purchased two Ionic modules ($300) per side and checked and cleaned up each sparkplug...they all looked really good too. I did not install new plugs because I just replaced them rouhgly 3k miles ago. I purchased both ionic modules because of my mileage, and usually if one goes, the other may soon follow...so why chance it.

If I were you, and if you have some mechanical skills, just install both ionics and new plugs if yours are old. The entire job may take you like 2.5hrs taking your sweet time while listening to a ball game or your favorite tunes. :cheers:

Once everything was back together, I hooked up my MacTools scan coder reader/eraser - checked and erased all codes cranked her up and she ran like a champ. Now after 500 miles of daily and some WOT hard runs here & there, no issues whatsoever. :checkeredflag:

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Jcolley and Hard5. I appreciate both views on this, as it put lots into perspective. I'm going to move with some baby steps. Inspect and change all the plugs (as im sure im running on the originals), and swap coil from cylinder#3 to cylinder#2. After that i'll be sure to make a better assessment.

·
2,149 Posts
thanks Jcolley and Hard5. I appreciate both views on this, as it put lots into perspective. I'm going to move with some baby steps. Inspect and change all the plugs (as im sure im running on the originals), and swap coil from cylinder#3 to cylinder#2. After that i'll be sure to make a better assessment.
Yup good game plan!! Change those plugs since they are due anyways.. Swap coils to see if problem follows to another cylinder.. Then swap the iconic sensors aswell to see if anything changes if it stills happens after the plug change and coil swap.. GL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts