BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here I am at the Chevron down Polhemus road off of 92, where I see a Black E55 AMG. He knew my car from the sound (Jet Black, no nadges) and we immediately walk to talk. I asked him if he wanted to race and he just smiled, told me that another friend of his has an ///M5 and that he has lost everytime he's tried against the M5. But hey, im not a pro, and it should be fun. Take it up, and KABAM. Jeezus. to see the two fastest production sedans of the same color racing side by side on a 2 lane freeway (at least whenver possible) must've sacred the **** out of anyone else out there.

Hey, it was fun. And I can understand why people would buy it, but it doesn't suit my lifestyle and I'm not some punter who's too lazy to change my own gears. :)

--Dan

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it wasn't too competitive. We were on a mildly crowded 2 lane freeway, so we just paced back and forth, but when we stopped, even he acknowledged that in the short bursts we had, the E55 just couldn't keep up. Hey, it's putting out 349 hp, and im sure it's not 3/4 of the weight, so the power-weight ratio of the M5 is better.

Good to know that there are sensibile E55 owners who know when to bow down! :)

--Dan

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I hear Merc is coming out with a 450hp engine for the new models out in 1-2 years.................
its all good!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
According to the press, your 'basic' next-generation V8 Infiniti Q45 and Acura RL replacements are going to be 340HP.

There appear to be a bunch of 400-450HP models in the planning stages from the Germans.

Wheeeeee!!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
The M5 certainly has the better power to weight ratio, although the E55 definitely has more torque. It's interesting comparing these two to the 996TT though..

E55:
3620 lb/349 bhp = 10.37 lb/bhp
3620 lb/391 lb-ft = 9.26

M5:
4000 lb/400 bhp= 10 lb/bhp
4000 lb/361 lb-ft = 11.08

966TT
3395lb/415 = 8.18! lb/bhp
3395/413 = 8.22!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Eric,

Using the technical information provided on the BMW and MB web sites, the weights of the E55 and the M5 are 3768 and 4024 lbs, respectively. This change from your figures decreases the weight/torque advantage of the E55 over the M5 and increases the weight/power advantage of the M5 over the E55, without altering the validity of your basic comparison.

Richard

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yeah, I just got the numbers from the Road and Track comparison, hoping that they'll be objective and fair..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m an owner of E55, and this race happened for real, I was on the high way when an M5 stooped me and wanted to race, told him O.K., we lined up beside each other and we both accelerated, he burned lots of rubber on take of , he gave me an advantage, until 100 km/h he was behind me with a length of a car, at around 160-180 km/h he started to get closer to me. Then at 250 km/h I again started to stretch the difference between him and me. His speed limiter went on, and he stooped at the speed of 250km/h, and I had my speed limiter switched off when I bought my car from Germany, and the speed went up to 270 km/h on my car, and he started to fade away ( when you buy an E55 from Germany, AMG gives you the choose of having a speed limiter at 250 km/h, or they can disable it for you for free ), and this is a real life race happened to me. And to be honest with you M5 owners I don’t advise you to take the limiter off, because I read in a magazine called AUTOCAR, that a tuner in Germany tried that, and after five min. from reaching the top speed with out limiter the engine of the M5 blow off.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by YBE55:
I’m an owner of E55, and this race happened for real, I was on the high way when an M5 stooped me and wanted to race, told him O.K., we lined up beside each other and we both accelerated, he burned lots of rubber on take of , he gave me an advantage, until 100 km/h he was behind me with a length of a car, at around 160-180 km/h he started to get closer to me. Then at 250 km/h I again started to stretch the difference between him and me. His speed limiter went on, and he stooped at the speed of 250km/h, and I had my speed limiter switched off when I bought my car from Germany, and the speed went up to 270 km/h on my car, and he started to fade away ( when you buy an E55 from Germany, AMG gives you the choose of having a speed limiter at 250 km/h, or they can disable it for you for free ), and this is a real life race happened to me. And to be honest with you M5 owners I don’t advise you to take the limiter off, because I read in a magazine called AUTOCAR, that a tuner in Germany tried that, and after five min. from reaching the top speed with out limiter the engine of the M5 blow off.
I'm sure that doid happen. However, with the M5 the driver makes a lot more of a difference than with the E55. The M5 driver you raced may have not been experience with a manuel or may have just not shifted quick enough. Given equal drivers, the M5 will always prevail!

------------------

·
Registered
63 Posts
In the 10/00 issue of Automobile Magazine (p. 20), there is a short sidebar story regarding Mercedes' plan to start supercharging V8 engines for E- and S-class AMG cars, starting in 2002. Initially, the current 5.0 liter V8 will receive the blower, which will reportedly increase horsepower to around 500! The report goes on to say that Mercedes may also eventually introduce a 6.0 liter AMG V10 with F1 technology and 700 hp.

Clearly, there is a horsepower race developing in Germany. I currently drive a 2000 S500 and am on the waiting list for the 2001 S55, which should arrive in November. However, these developments are causing me to wonder if I should wait a year or two. With the new Q45 boasting around 350 hp (same as the S55!), Mercedes and BMW are going to have to up the ante.

With all the improvements in tire and computer technology, cars can better cope with the increasing power. We have got some great cars heading our way!

Warm regards,

AD

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
both are fantastic cars and yes- with this level of car the driver element is where you get the biggest difference. enjoy!

ME

1 - 13 of 13 Posts