BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the completion of the installation of my engine rebuild project into #231 (See this thread), I am in the fortunate position to experience the wonders of owning and driving an E28 M5 for the first time since early June 2008.

I have closed the rebuild and installation projects and moved towards the break-in phase. Granted, some work still needs to be done to the documentation of the installation project, but that is no more then a bit of ‘piano tuning’; that may seem insignificant, but bear in mind that a mint ‘condition 1’ DC91 is worth at least 31000 Euro on the European mainland and the current ‘agreed value’ does not take the rebuild and installation cost (14k Euro) into consideration. I have initiated orienting talks to two insurance assessors who are accredited to appraise cars according to article 7:960 of Dutch civil law. That is pending.

In the mean time, #231 has been used for 206km with the rebuild engine. I carried out an intermediate fluid-level check and found no inconsistencies. The level of oil, coolant and PS-reservoir is identical to after the first fill and bleed. Next weekend I will drive to Leeuwarden to collect the BC2 on board computer that I bought some time ago. #231 doesn’t have any, and some of its features are important to me. This will add another 300km to the odo-indicator, after which I will carry out the first oil-change.

The short-term operational goal is to attend the international M5 meeting from member Tiaguinho in the weekend of 2-May. However, that will be with a restricted engine speed of 3000RPM so no Nordschleife for #231 then. The long term goal is the E34 M5 Alps tour that will be held in September.

I will take some time for pictures after I have replaced my malfunctioning Nikon D70 for a D300S :hihi:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Finally reaping the rewards for all that hard work, and such a prodigious amount of patience...I am happy for you! Will be interesting to read your findings as running it in progresses and you can go higher in the rev band...

Just don't know how you can resist driving it every day! (if it's nice ofcourse)

I drive my M635 every single day of the week, just too addictive. It does get looked after though and hasn't lost a single drop of oil or coolant in 3200km.

Enjoy! :D

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Hurray Raymond! What a epic adventure this has been for you and with such a great finale of having the car ready and as new :)

Please, do add some Kilometers to that engine and come visit me this weekend, I'll be detailing my M5 but always have time for a beer and to help you resolve the D300s purchase!

·
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yesterday morning, I used #231 by exception for my commute to Hengelo. It just is a 27km drive, mainly over the autobahn. When I returned home, the trip-meter indicated 261km. I used this opportunity for a last check before completing a larger trip yesterday evening when I picked up my recently acquired BC2 (on board computer) that is intended to enhance #231’s functionality.

I decided to use #231 for the trip but started a bit late in the evening to avoid rush hour; this allowed me to vary engine speed freely without disturbing traffic. Given the
late departure, the 150km single distance and the restriction in engine speed, this will be a late hour trip, but what the heck.

In Zwolle we entered highway A28 towards Heerenveen where we stopped at an Esso station to fill the petrol tank one last time before proceeding to Leeuwarden. However, Esso stopped distributing the 98RON Super Plus and replaced it with Esso Supreme.

With Euro 1,63 per liter, its price is rather hefty and a full ten cents per liter more then the garden variety Euro95. Since there was no reference to an octane rating, I went inside and asked the cashier. She pointed towards a leaflet that contains a lot of words and marketing blah blah, but no relevant information. This left me to only one conclusion; that Esso doesn’t want to fully inform their customers, hence why I politely replied that I didn’t trust the information and said I would go elsewhere. The next opportunity was a Shell station shortly before Leeuwarden. Although V-Power in Holland is marketed as 95RON, its technical datasheet specifies an actual octane rating of 97RON, which is good enough for an M88/3.

The rest of the trip went rather uneventful and we arrived at Ivo’s place shortly before half past ten. Being a good host, Ivo offered us a cup of coffee before doing business. After he proved the system worked and we closed the deal, he offered us something else to drink, but as it was already close too midnight, I kindly declined and said it was time to leave since we still had a two hour trip left.

Shortly before Meppel, I passed the 500km mark, which allowed me to increase the engine speed to 3000RPM max. This allows me more freedom to vary engine speed whilst driving between 2000 and 3000RPM. I varied more often and slightly increased the load before arriving home at half past one.

Summarized; I have completed the first 556km and have completed the first phase of the break-in. This means that an oil change is due for next week before continuing with the second phase of the break in (500km-1000km). I am now allowed to rev the engine 500RPM higher. Although this isn’t really that much, it allows me more freedom to vary engine speed. I have to admit that from what I have experienced in the last 56km, the engine feels strong and healthy. Although I still am far from being able to use the full rev-band, driving #231 already brings a lot of joy.

This morning, I checked the fluid levels in cold condition and found no inconsistencies. Coolant, power steering fluid (ATF) and engine oil are as on at the same level as the last time they were checked at 206km.

“Me is very happy.” :wroom:

·
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Raymond: the BC was standard feature on all M5, why your car has lost it?
Hi Allesandro,

Maybe on the later cars, but mine is an earlier car (October 1985) and never had the BC. Maybe it was not available when it was build.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The BC2 was avaliable, only for M635csi, from start of production (9/83) for the whole BMW range since 9/84, i owned a M535i produced 10/84 and had it, and all the M5s had the BC, check if you have cables and relaisbox, the horn in engine room is there?

·
Registered
110 Posts
My 08/1984 M635CSi definitely had it.

Either way it's a good addition to the car, although the drinky drinky function is rather depressing sometimes :grinyes:

·
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The BC2 was avaliable, only for M635csi, from start of production (9/83) for the whole BMW range since 9/84, i owned a M535i produced 10/84 and had it, and all the M5s had the BC, check if you have cables and relaisbox, the horn in engine room is there?
The BC2 wiring harnass isn't there; However, my car is equiped with the ubiquous EWB alarm. Its control unit including the wiring harness and horn in the engine bay is present.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You have the DWA with magnetic key, this is really uncommon, and a very funny optional!
I read tis night the brochure for the M5 (3/85) and states BC as standard, even on the italian price list and in a German leaflet for presentation.
So your car maybe was a special order didi you check?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just VIn checked, even the first cars don't have bc as option written on data sheet, and your M5 has no special request coding, but only 301 dwa, 401 sunroof, 428 warning triangle/medical kit, 494 heated seats, 500 headlamp wash/wipe, 510 headlamp aim contro, 530 air conditioning, 667 radio bavaria electronic, 682 electric aerial.
and dwa and bc2 were always avaliable together even for the first M635csi.

·
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You have the DWA with magnetic key, this is really uncommon, and a very funny optional!
I read tis night the brochure for the M5 (3/85) and states BC as standard, even on the italian price list and in a German leaflet for presentation.
So your car maybe was a special order didi you check?
Thanks Allesandro,

No, I did not check but I have a build sheet in my archives somewhere. I also have a catalogue from 2/86VM (p/n 6 11 15 0810) which does not mention the BC2 as standard equipment ( if you are interested in a pdf copy, please PM me your Email adress ).

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks Allesandro,

No, I did not check but I have a build sheet in my archives somewhere. I also have a catalogue from 2/86VM (p/n 6 11 15 0810) which does not mention the BC2 as standard equipment ( if you are interested in a pdf copy, please PM me your Email adress ).
I own the copy of the catalogue 1/85 5 11 30 01 10, so one of the first, and the BC is not named.
In a price list of Italy(5/85), bc is stated as standard.
I found, but i don't remember where i saved the scan, the launch press prochure, where bc i'm sure was standard for all market, hoping not to loose some neurons in my brain..:7:

All the cars that i ever remember were bc fitted, but.. who knows, maybe i'm wrong.
I you have the scan, i would be glad to exchange scans mine vs yours:1:

looking all my road tests and my books i see some M535i without bc, but no M5.
On the special owners booklets nothing is written on standard features (do you have it?)
A question: maybe you have the original leather key holder specific of the e28 M5?
I own the leather document holder, but i've never seen the key holder..

·
Registered
229 Posts
Shortly before Meppel, I passed the 500km mark, which allowed me to increase the engine speed to 3000RPM max. This allows me more freedom to vary engine speed whilst driving between 2000 and 3000RPM. I varied more often and slightly increased the load before arriving home at half past one.

Summarized; I have completed the first 556km and have completed the first phase of the break-in. This means that an oil change is due for next week before continuing with the second phase of the break in (500km-1000km). I am now allowed to rev the engine 500RPM higher. Although this isn’t really that much, it allows me more freedom to vary engine speed. I have to admit that from what I have experienced in the last 56km, the engine feels strong and healthy. Although I still am far from being able to use the full rev-band, driving #231 already brings a lot of joy.

This morning, I checked the fluid levels in cold condition and found no inconsistencies. Coolant, power steering fluid (ATF) and engine oil are as on at the same level as the last time they were checked at 206km.

“Me is very happy.” :wroom:
Raymond,

What are the consequences of breaking the RPM/km limits? Say you were to rev the engine to 3500, what are the negative effects of doing so?

·
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Raymond,

What are the consequences of breaking the RPM/km limits? Say you were to rev the engine to 3500, what are the negative effects of doing so?
Good question, but I don't think that much as the BMW instructions allow a maximum of two-thirds of each gear for the break-in. However, that is a bit to steep for my taste, especially since BMW does not provide for the warranty for the rebuild.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Are there actually any guidelines for max rpm with a cold engine ? (after running in period)

I never take my M88/3 over 2500rpm when cold, until after 10km to 3500rpm and after 20km I let it go.

Have you done any more driving since your last post ?

·
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Are there actually any guidelines for max rpm with a cold engine ? (after running in period)
There are no specific instructions that I know of.

I never take my M88/3 over 2500rpm when cold, until after 10km to 3500rpm and after 20km I let it go.
The E28 and E24's lack an oil temperature gauge, but you'd be surprized how long it takes before the engine has reached its optimum operating temperature. It is my experience with my E34 M5 that this can take 30-40km depending on driving conditions. With my E34, I do not ask 'full welly' untill at least 50km, generally more.

Have you done any more driving since your last post ?
Yes, but only for a commute to my work. The trip-meter now indicates 616km. I first want to exchange the engine oil before I do some more driving. In two weeks, I will attend te m5board.com meeting on the Nordschleife that member Tiaguinho has organized. That will add another 700km. However, no Nordschleife driving though.

1 - 20 of 205 Posts