BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my first experience driving a decent M5 today. It was a 93 one with very low miles, or at least that's what I was told: 59,000km! I could not find anything that could lead me to thing the clock was set back, the car was pristine. I have not had the chance to really press it: I drove it around town after a light shower, more like a mist, but the tarmac was wet and was trying not to crash the car with the owner sitting on my right. Idle is a bit rough, but for what I've read this is to be expected, on the run it was smooth but not like a trigger-like, on-off switch as noted. Again, I did not use more than 30% of the gas pedal. Sheet metal is like new, no blemishes at all. Everything electrical works, but computer had warnings in German. Owner told me that it was because the battery was disconnected and it default to German. How difficult it is to change it to English?. Leather is also perfect, not even the expected cracking or fading that are expected in a 12-year old car. Wheel covers (throwing stars) were recently painted, someone did a very good job, not sure how well it will age, tought, but fact is that they look as new, right now. My only concern it the 5-speed gearbox, kind of notchy. Are they sturdy or should be object of a deeper investigation?
Thanks in advance,
Antonio

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
M5-ready said:
My only concern it the 5-speed gearbox, kind of notchy. Are they sturdy or should be object of a deeper investigation?
Thanks in advance,
Antonio
Gearboxes are very robust. A Swedish guy apparantly put 800 bhp through what appeared to be a stock box and it took it.

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts