BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this thread and have been in contact with the Original Author. I am wondering if anyone else is interested in having one of these made.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really don't know if the BMW ones are available but I believe with said bracket we can use any small enough to fit

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
The extinguisher is still around, but the secondary bracket is the rare-sauce. (Extinguisher to mounting bracket...bracket)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the good news is there is a fellow member here which I posted the thread on that has actually made a full replica

·
Registered
214 Posts
I really don't know if the BMW ones are available but I believe with said bracket we can use any small enough to fit
You can't. Trust me, I tried for a LONG time. Finally found someone who let me borrow his OEM bracket, hence where the replica came from.

Can you get the fire extinguishers still?
If you like your car, you don't want to use the OEM power extinguisher; the powder typically leaves a residue and will likely stain whatever it comes in contact with. You want a modern aviation grade Halotron extinguisher. Halotron is an electrically non-conductive "clean" extinguishing agent that rapidly turns into a gas. It attacks fires quickly and safely, and without leaving a damaging residue to clean up. Auto Fire Extinguisher | HalGuard

Happy to make a production run of the bracket, and if there's interest, a GB on the extinguishers as well.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Why not make brackets for Element Fire extinguishers? Seems like a far superior alternative to traditional ones. Smaller, lighter, cheaper, no expiration date, lasts longer when in use.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Why not make brackets for Element Fire extinguishers? Seems like a far superior alternative to traditional ones. Smaller, lighter, cheaper, no expiration date, lasts longer when in use.
I never heard of Element before, but I've done a good bit of reading and research about it over the past 20+ hours since your post ;) and I'm a believer! Was actually on the cusp of ordering from Halotron units for the home, car, and garage, but now I'm gonna get some Element extinguishers instead! So thanks for that.

I am not a fan of how he installed the Element in the video you linked to...and that's to say it mildly. First, not interested in drilling into an OEM part. Doesn't matter how small or concealed the hole is; I just don't want to. Second, the seat bracket on the seat he demonstrated with (outside of the car) is different than our E39 seats, which feature the hole and "tunnel" for the OEM extinguisher bracket. So why not use that? Granted, it isn't cheap, but it isn't cost prohibitive either.

My other really big issue is that he used the basic mounting clip to mount it; I would NOT do that. Sure, the Element extinguisher isn't that heavy, but I wouldn't be surprised if it popped out with heavy braking or when a significant force was applied (ie in an accident). And you don't want something like that potentially getting underneath your clutch/brake/gas pedal, or rolling around on the floor/cabin when you need it to be quick & handy.

Personally, I would install it with 2 of their Quick Fist Heavy Duty Mounts (Quick Fist Heavy Duty Mount) that lock it into place. And those again would require drilling etc, or simply secure them via the OEM bracket haha ;) I haven't tested it, but the holes with preinstalled/welded nuts would make fastening the Quick Fist Heavy Duty Mounts (through the center hole in the unit) pretty easy. Just install bracket, fasten, then install mounts and secure with screw. Now you have an OEM finish and a properly secured extinguisher.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts