BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I am too tired right now to write alot but I just want to give you an update:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52299&page=3

Just scroll down. SMGIII is unbeleivable. The performance is unbeleiveable. The M5 doies not have a competitor today, it is unique. It is at least as fast as a Lamborghini Gallardo and definetly faster than a Porsche 996 Turbo.

I promise you guys, I also am still annoyed at some i-drive features and interiour features but just see some posts on the link above. My report may come tommorrow if time allows. Give the E60 M5 a chance and try it. It is out of this world!

Post comfirming M5 running tie with the Gallardo with 5 people in the car :cool2:

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=44940

·
Registered
767 Posts
I read the thread and am so inspired to trade mine for one, but the pics of the rear are just a big turnoff to me. This is the first time I've had to deal with wanting a BMW model for performance, but have trouble with the design. Time to take a walk and think...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Fantastic photos - looks like it was a great day. I'm interested to know though - you seem to be very impressed with the new E60, but thinking back to the first time you drove the E39 M5, which one do you think blew you away more on your first drive?

Paul

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would say they were both as unique in their class when they came out. E39 M5 is still a very fast and great car.

But now you also have the different characteristic ofthe new M5: supersporty with 0,2 s gearchanges, harder suspension and without DSC at the touch of a button. And also automatic mode with 7th gear in say 80 km/h, like an E55 AMG.

But the consumption of the V10 is crazy, that is the only drawback I can se and the M Mobiliti kit along with some querks with I-drive. Other than that a fatastic and unique car.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Sounds great.

Any chance of the movie, or an account of the visit to Koenigsegg that Ashok was telling us about at the London meet yestarday ? :biggrin:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Gustav said:
I would say they were both as unique in their class when they came out. E39 M5 is still a very fast and great car.

But now you also have the different characteristic ofthe new M5: supersporty with 0,2 s gearchanges, harder suspension and without DSC at the touch of a button. And also automatic mode with 7th gear in say 80 km/h, like an E55 AMG.

But the consumption of the V10 is crazy, that is the only drawback I can se and the M Mobiliti kit along with some querks with I-drive. Other than that a fatastic and unique car.
Obviously you were driving the car fairly hard (understatement i'd say), but what sort of fuel consumption figures were you getting? Is it worse than the E55?

Paul

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
What is a bigger problem: fuel consumption or if they made a car that could not run with the Lambos of the world while carrying 4 people and their luggage?

I think for us its not even a question.. :M5launch:

I know I am keeping my E39 M5- its such a great "sleeper" vehicle. But I could see at some point maybe adding a M6 and if I did I am thinking I might lean toward SMG because then it adds variety and as you say, its the way to go. A number of tests say this and one comment really sticks with me- that the engine revs do not hang there in between gear shifts to allow for smooth shifts- the revs just fall fast because it knows there is this computerized system there...

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We lost count, but it looks like we fueled up 10 times on 2600 km :haha:

On average 2 liters per 10 km it looks like but we really put it through its pace. 271 km/h is the limiter on 5th gear. Ihave never driven sucha fast car frpm 200 km/h to 271 km/hh. The 7 gears makes it a uniquecar and with no competitors in its class. Also the road holding is top :M5launch:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Philip said:
I read the thread and am so inspired to trade mine for one, but the pics of the rear are just a big turnoff to me. This is the first time I've had to deal with wanting a BMW model for performance, but have trouble with the design. Time to take a walk and think...
The E60 M5 car shape, just like the Z4, looks much better in person than in pictures.
The Interlagos colour was a bit of a disappointment thou. IMHO it does not look as good in reality as it does in pictures. The E60 was standing next to an Avus Blue E34 and a LeMans Blue E39, in the low warm evening sun. The Avus looked amazing, the LeMans looked good, but in comparison the Interlagos looked flat, almost drab, in the intense light. (All cars were washed a few hours earlier, and still clean)

Big thanks to Gustav for organizing this, and letting me join in. I drove the E60 a little. It is a thrill. SMG is technically fantastic. Launch mode (as passenger) is beyond description. The brakes are more than sensational. The active suspension is unbeliably good. The full leather interior looks superb. There were already some rattles and squeeks, which is not so good.

It is insanely fun to drive, and outright scary fast. It feels like 0% Mercedes and 100% M GmbH, if you konw what I mean. Now, if one could only get a manual gearbox...

The E60 M5 handling compare to E39 M5 handling as E39 M5 handlig is compared to E39 530. In other words, there is a huge improvment. I am a total sucker for the active suspension, and still fascinated by the brake performance and overall comfort.

Best things about it:

1. Brakes with the best ABS regulation I have ever seen. Unbelivably smooth and balanced at maximum braking.
2. Superb road holding / steering response / active anti-rollbars
3. Surprisingly comfortable suspension
4. Great engine. Huge acceleration.
5. SMG sportiness
6. Wonderful engine note under load, yet not too noisy
7. Great interior design. Phantastic leather.
8. Very good Head-Up-Display.

Bad things:

1. Extreme diesel sound at idle (the good thing about this is that it will make the E39 Vanos sound fashionable)
2. Early rattle and squeeks
3. No manual transmission. I like to drive stick.
4. Paint did not look as good and deep-glossy as I thought it would.
5. Interior aluminium panels looked VW quality. (E39 Titanium panels much better)
6. Have limited first-hand experience with I-drive, but am quite sceptical about it.

The rims are very nice, but not the most beautiful BMW has.
(Look at the Koenigsegg rims. Those are design perfection for that car.)

I think the ideal car for me would be an absolutely non-squeeky non-rattling E39 with no Vanos diesel sound, and with E60 suspension, brakes, ventilated seats, intelligent cruise-control and Head-Up-Display. E60 dashboard with E39 Titanium trim pieces, but of a scratchproof design.

With the V10 engine too, when I think about it. And maybe SMG-III just takes a little getting used to to fully appreciate.

In an ideal world, maybe, if the gearselector and clutch hydraulics could be bypassed for both SMG and completely Manual operation of the clutch and 7-speed gearbox? That would be perfect.

And with a service organisation in Sweden that matched the quality and refinement of the car.

David

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Interesting feedback. If all you say is for real, then the performance will be first rate. But, I would still have to deal with the looks and this is a pretty important factor. The fact that it may only get 10 mpg in and of itself is probably a reflection of the hard driving being done as opposed to real world results. I can take the E39 consumption down to 12 or 13 MPG if I am driving it hard. This is not real world where I get an average of 18.8 MPG mixed between highway and city driving.

What scares me more than anything about this car is the electronics. The electronics on the E39 are just acceptable, but I hear BMW has doubled or tripled the complexity. This would not be a car to be owned out of warranty, which translates into a 4 or 5 year ownership. When I throw the looks factor in, I would have to think seriously about the competion.

None the less, it is good to hear that the performance is top notch. I realize that in todays world electronics plays an every increasing role in the performance of all cars. My issue is the reliabilty with BMW's electronics as opposed to the likes of Toyota. I hear the same issue with Merc., Audi, VW and Porsche as well which might mean that the Germans need to outsource the electronics to their Japanese counterparts. Do you think the new Lexus 500 HP sport car will have electronic problems? Probably a few, I would not purchase the 1st year model, but I am guessing that based on history it will not have the number of issues we have experienced even with the E39.

Mark

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
David,
I think there is no active anti roll bars in the M5- just the Electronic Dampening Control. We've wondered why BMW M would not use the ARS system and we can only guess that its due to weight.

Since they will be making a stick shift for the USA, I would think you could get one too if you asked nicely.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
It definitely has active anti roll-bars, or at least a system giving the same effect.

With it engaged, when you corner hard, the car sways out at first, then levels itself, so there is less roll dive and therefore less roll axis speed when you exit the turn and enter a turn the other way. I drove my E39 about 200 ft behind the E60 while it was being filmed from the E39 with and without the active suspension engaged. It was amazing to look at. Feels marvelous when you drive it too. :)

David

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
MAH said:
Interesting feedback. If all you say is for real, then the performance will be first rate. But, I would still have to deal with the looks and this is a pretty important factor. The fact that it may only get 10 mpg in and of itself is probably a reflection of the hard driving being done as opposed to real world results. I can take the E39 consumption down to 12 or 13 MPG if I am driving it hard. This is not real world where I get an average of 18.8 MPG mixed between highway and city driving.

What scares me more than anything about this car is the electronics. The electronics on the E39 are just acceptable, but I hear BMW has doubled or tripled the complexity. This would not be a car to be owned out of warranty, which translates into a 4 or 5 year ownership. When I throw the looks factor in, I would have to think seriously about the competion.

None the less, it is good to hear that the performance is top notch. I realize that in todays world electronics plays an every increasing role in the performance of all cars. My issue is the reliabilty with BMW's electronics as opposed to the likes of Toyota. I hear the same issue with Merc., Audi, VW and Porsche as well which might mean that the Germans need to outsource the electronics to their Japanese counterparts. Do you think the new Lexus 500 HP sport car will have electronic problems? Probably a few, I would not purchase the 1st year model, but I am guessing that based on history it will not have the number of issues we have experienced even with the E39.

Mark
Mark,

What I said are my humble opinion of the car after a first impression, watching others drive it both on freeway and airfield, and then driving it a little myself.

I think you may be very right about all the electronics (and software) involved. That is not going to be a cheap car to maintain in perfect shape.

I also fully agree about being cautious about any 1st year car.

David

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
That could be the EDC system. Thats basically how MB's suspension works. I am psyched to drive these cars now.
I think you will enjoy that drive much :)

David

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
David,
Of that I have no doubts. After reading all the write ups, I am just salivating when I think there will be a test drive for me in the next 6 months or so.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
a teaser I can show you guys a 100 km/h to 200 km/h race in a long airfield

We drive constantly at 3rd gear at 100 km/h and then floor it to 200 km/h. We start to floor it when we say "Nu" (Now) and a bit over 200 km/h (something like 205 km/h" when we sat "Där" (there).

I think this takes less or around 9 s.

Settings where:

P500S
Sport mode
S5
MDM

And I will tell you there is a clearly noticable difference (at least in feeling) between S5 and S6. S6 can only be activated with DSC completely off.

Here is the movie.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Gustav said:
We drive constantly at 3rd gear at 100 km/h and then floor it to 200 km/h. We start to floor it when we say "Nu" (Now) and a bit over 200 km/h (something like 205 km/h" when we sat "Där" (there).

I think this takes less or around 9 s.
Very impressive. Thank you (once again) Gustav.

Derek

1 - 20 of 28 Posts