BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2009 M6 Coupe 24000 miles Saphire Black
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just had a few hours sleep after a 1200 miles long drive non-stop during night time and rain thrue north of Germany.
Also included a terrible mistake with navigation caused by a brainfade and a terrible Navisystem that lead me almost around Berlino uich. Dont ask me how that was possible.

My plan was to drive like it was a brand new car. Since it has basically been standing for close to 5 years I wanted to take it easy to first 600 miles.
The first 300 miles pased with an average of app 19 mpg and 75 mph as average. Not to bad IMO. After the second refill I increased the speed a bit and averaged the next 400 miles with app 100 mph, the consumption then increased to 14 mpg. Still not to bad IMO. But it was still no full throttle, only floating with some 50% throttle. Its impressive how you can just fieel the power just increasing speed without any drama or stress.

The only remotly fun was when an X3 35i passed me going close to flat out. I could not resist, I just followed him for a while and then just apllied just a little bit of power and passed him just to put him at his place.

I hit 167 mph once just to see if the limiter still was in place, and it was.....

Most of the trip was thrue the night and with rain so more than 100-110 mph was not relaxing.
In Denmark early in the morning I decided that is was time to let it streach some legs a bit. Downshiftet to 4th at app 100 mph and let it go.
Holy crap, it pulls..... it was close to breaking traction since it was cold and a little moist on the road......

I have driven the new M6 both on track and on the road, I know the new is faster, but the V10 feels like a untamed animal in comparisson. And the sound, I had thoughs about the Hartge Exhoust, but to be honest, I dont feel the need for it anymore.....

When I got home I had driven 1956 km ( 1215 miles ) in 17 hours, average of 65 mph, I had to stop a lot, that ruined the averagespeed. I have no idea how many bottles of RedBull I drank to keep me awake, and that had to go out again.......

Anyway I am super happy, still have a few issues, but that we fix. 1 Hour after I was home it started to snow, so perfect timing. :)

Its a long time since I had the plessure to drive thrue Germany with something powerfull and I had almost forgotten how fun it was.

For me its not longer necesarry to go flat out all the time like I did with the M3 back in the 90 ties, its more the pleassure of knowing that I can blow away anything I meet if want to. In that way the M6 is close to the sensation of the B7, The power is there, but its very few places and occations that you have to possibility, they where simply to fast. I still did it, but thinking back, lots of the thing I did was probably not to smart. Probably flat out stupide.....

I also drove my old 2002 ALPINA up and down several times, and the throttle had 1 position, and that was flat out. It was not very fast, but the feeling of going 135-140 mph in a 1972 BMW 2002 chasing down an brand new Golf GTI, Porsche 944 and simular cars and beat them was priceless. Its was always something to play with, but with the B7 back in the 80, 90 ties, nothing short of a fast Ferrari or a big 1 ltr bike was able to compete, so you basically had to make you own fun. During all the times I drove the B7 Coupe thrue Germany I never even once came up against a car that would outrun it, not even a Bike, and belive me, a lot of supercars tried....
Same thing with the M6, its to fast to go flat out at topspeed. The traffic and skills stops it. 300 kph is simply to riski for me to really enjoy any more. I had my ALPINA BiTurbo at an indicated speed of 200 mph once thrue a slight turn.....and I will never try that again. The can reach the point of no return supprisingly quick in this kind of cars.

2 cars with the this kind of performance racing on a public road is just crazy, unless of course the road is empty. Unfortunatly that more or less never happens anymore.

Here is a few pics from the drive home...

Here is some pics from the trip.

Need some more gas

Early morning in Denmark, sorry for the poor quality.

Typical cruising speed. Note the indicator for the oil. When I started it said 1,1 ltr. That went down to 1,0 ltr after 300 miles and stayed there for the rest of the trip. No consumption at all.

Finaly, arrived at its new home.

Snow, lots of snow...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Erik,

Thanks for the write up on the new beast's trip home.

Enjoy your new ride!:M5thumbs:

:cheers:

Jim

·
Registered
273 Posts
Danka for sharing. Safe driving and congrats! :)

Reactions: Erik

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Great review of the trip. I felt like i was there.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Congrats on the new beast!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts