BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got back from a 600 mile trip down along the California coast with my GF and drove mostly via CA Hwy 1 which is considered one of the more scenic drives in the country. Well since I've driven this route a few times before, my attention turned to how well the new Dinan/JRZ Stage 3 suspension would handle the twisties. I've had this set-up since October but haven't put very many miles primarily because I have been so busy at work. I must say I was quite impressed with the composure (no lean and stayed planted) during hard cornering (8/10ths) with definitely less understeer. Note that I am still running a staggered set-up. I've had Dinan's suspensions (Konis and Bilsteins) in my previous E30 and E36 cars but I will admit these JRZ's are fairly comfortable and doesn't ride as hard. Considering this car is a load to throw around, I am quite satisfied with the suspension. :M5thumbs:
-Roberto

Attachments

Reactions: Gustav

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Great write-up!!

"Was just on U.S. 1 myself, from Morro Bay to Monterey, a few weeks ago. A nice Tuesday morning, 70 degrees, clear as a bell, and ZERO traffic/tourists. 'Best driving day I've had in a long time.

If you ever want to get max capability out of JRZ set-up, put 9x18 front/9.5x18 rear, and 275 RA-1's all around. You'll do 10/10th's in those twisties, with zero understeer, right NOW turn-in, and the big sedan feels like it's on rails. Hot foot'n, man, HOT FOOT'N!!:biggrinbounce::M5thumbs:

·
Registered
877 Posts
question El Diablo

Way to go! Thanks for posting your experience with the JRZ's, I am currently running a stock suspension and my Dinan stage 3 with JRZ are suppose to be arriving to the shop tomorrow in Tucson, AZ. My question is... since you are running the stock staggered wheels did you have them install the front sway bar? and if so, if you place the larger wheels recommended by DRM (thanks for the info by the way!) will the larger sway bar be appropriate.

James

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Dumb question, what are JRZs?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what does a Dinan S3 system with JRZ's cost? Is it more than the Konis or Bilsteins?

- Tim

·
Registered
2,500 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Dinan/JRZ cost......

If you don't mind me asking, what does a Dinan S3 system with JRZ's cost? Is it more than the Konis or Bilsteins?

- Tim
Dinan/JRZ front struts and rear shocks can be substituted for Koni, in either Stage 2 or Stage 3; but you have to special order them through your local Dinan dealer (Dinan/JRZ aren't listed on Dinan's website). Incremental extra cost is about $1100 - $1200 per set of four (or, at least it used to be).

Why?? a) Unlike Koni, JRZ are double adjustable (damping and rebound), allowing for maximum fine tuning of your preferred M5 suspension set-up; b) they were co-designed by Dinan and JRZ (one of Europe's most renowned suspension mfgr's) to be matched with Dinan spring spec's, providing razor sharp track/twistie's performance, while maintaining excellent street ride dynamics (IMO, they are a better street ride than stock or Koni; and I've had them all); c) Dinan matches each set of JRZ's to specific springs, on their shock dyno @ Morgan Hill, before shipping the pkg to your dealer for installation. I've witnessed this procedure; it's quite precise and time consuming.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Not to start another argument with Dan, but my opinion is not so one-sided toward JRZs. I have two E39s, each with Dinan Stage 3 suspension. The M5 has JRZs and the 540iT has Konis. Because the wagon has rear air springs comparing the two is not ideal, but two things I am certain about:
1) The two ride very similarly - essentially identically.
2) The wagon definitely out-handles a stock M5. So does my M5 :dunno:

If you've got the money, by all means get the JRZs. If not, get the Konis and you'll still be very happy.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Dinan front anti-roll bar.....

Way to go! Thanks for posting your experience with the JRZ's, I am currently running a stock suspension and my Dinan stage 3 with JRZ are suppose to be arriving to the shop tomorrow in Tucson, AZ. My question is... since you are running the stock staggered wheels did you have them install the front sway bar? and if so, if you place the larger wheels recommended by DRM (thanks for the info by the way!) will the larger sway bar be appropriate.

James
Dinan stiffer/larger front sway bar is NOT recommended for stock staggered wheel/tire size set-up (or any application where tire width difference is >20mm, front to back). It'll tend to offset reduced understeer gained from use of rear, adjustable sway bar.

IMO (and I've had every conceivable suspension set-up on my car during the 6 years I've owned it), a Stage 3 Dinan/JRZ (including front/rear Dinan sway bars, and front camber plates) + Dinan monoballs to replace lower thrust arm bushings, + wheels (of your choice; but the lighter, the better) that'll accommodate running 275 tires all around, + front and rear strut/shock tower braces, will completely transform the handling capabilities of M5. The difference is nothing short of remarkable. The $$$ cost of all this (including installation labor) is not much, compared to cost of any meaningful power mods. M5 doesn't really need more power; but it benefits greatly from suspension/handling mods designed for specific M5 application.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
No argument, Earl.......

Not to start another argument with Dan, but my opinion is not so one-sided toward JRZs. I have two E39s, each with Dinan Stage 3 suspension. The M5 has JRZs and the 540iT has Konis. Because the wagon has rear air springs comparing the two is not ideal, but two things I am certain about:
1) The two ride very similarly - essentially identically.
2) The wagon definitely out-handles a stock M5. So does my M5 :dunno:

If you've got the money, by all means get the JRZs. If not, get the Konis and you'll still be very happy.
'Only thing we disagree on is ride quality; and I'll be first to admit it's very subtle. But for me, it's definately there.:p

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
M5 doesn't really need more power; but it benefits greatly from suspension/handling mods designed for specific M5 application.
+1!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
awesome. I want stage 3 suspension..

what am I looking at installed (with JRZ's), roughly 4-5k?

- Tim

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Check out Dinan website.......

awesome. I want stage 3 suspension..

what am I looking at installed (with JRZ's), roughly 4-5k?

- Tim
Here: http://www.dinancars.com/store/Chassis-Tuning-p-1-c-366.html

Then add about $1200 if you want JRZ vs Koni. Then multiply Dinan's # of estimated labor hours by your shop's labor rate. Then add your state's sales tax on components.

'Highly recommend you decide what you want, then negotiate a pkg deal with your shop. # of installation labor hours should be a lot less, 'cause there's overlap on some components (compared to installing individual components, piecemeal). Also, most shops/Dinan dealers will give you at least 10% discount on components, if you're a member of BMWCCA.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Thanks DRM

Thanks DRM,

I will go with the stage 3 with JRZ for now which will be here tomorrow, however, you have led me right into my next mod with the rims, tires, and monoballs. Although I really like the look of the OEM rims, they are just too heavy.

Lancefitzgiben,

The stage 3 with Koni would have been 2395ish + tax, then I wanted JRZ's and increased it to almost 5K with taxes and I went:eek:oohhh: for a second and took the plunged. Also, if you purchase by tomorrow you are eligible for a 10% rebate from Dinan.

BACK to your original post El Diablo, Nice car and when I have a few more mods done I hope to take that same trip up the coast with mine.

I will post pics when I get the install

Thanks again
James

Reactions: El Diablo

·
Registered
877 Posts
Good point IRISH M5, I actually ordered 2/28/08 but have been waiting for the JRZs, also the Dinan certified facility must install them within 30 days of delivery to my recall from the rebate form.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JRZ's are $$

Tim,
Apologize for late reply, had to work today. The JRZ's are approx $1770 more than the Koni's. So add this to the Stage 3 Koni price since the labor is roughly the same.
-Roberto

- Tim

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
James, as Dan (DRM) mentioned, front sways are not recommended so I didn't install them and stayed with the stock 27mm (vs 28mm). I will definitely upgrade when I run with 275's all around including the monoballs. I may do this before the headers or not. Rear sways are at the outermost holes and medium setting on the JRZ's. The front was lowered about 1/2 inch and the rears didn't appear to change from stock. I do like the final rake with this set-up since my driveway is very very steep and I was afraid I would bottom out and scrape going in and out but didn't.
-R

James

1 - 20 of 25 Posts