BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the saga ended today when I picked up my beast from Avus Autosport in Glendale, CA.:thumbsup:

It's got a new motor and it kicks ***...After one month of driving a rental it's about time I enjoy my beast again. The motor was flown in from Frankfurt in less then 48 hrs. It took them about a week to install the new engine, along with the clutch and the fine tuning. All I can say is that these folks at Avus Autosport, are the most professional and knowledgeble that I've dealt with. They take good care of you and have the state of the art tools and equipment, including the F1 computer.

Feels good to be back....happy motoring.:M5thumbs:

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
Congrats! Just curious to know why did you have the motor replaced?

Marion

·
Registered
102 Posts
If memory serves me his engine got flooded after the big rains in la about a month or so ago. (during the october 28~30). I got caught in that big storm to , but I had the X3 with me so it was no big deal :)

Congradulations on the neew motor. Luck bugger gues you will have another 100k with that car :). Hey do you have a lifetime warrenty on the engine know? Especially since there was insurance stuff? Might be kinda cool to look into.

Mvious said:
Congrats! Just curious to know why did you have the motor replaced?

Marion

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
flynhawaiian said:
If memory serves me his engine got flooded after the big rains in la about a month or so ago. (during the october 28~30). I got caught in that big storm to , but I had the X3 with me so it was no big deal :)

Congradulations on the neew motor. Luck bugger gues you will have another 100k with that car :). Hey do you have a lifetime warrenty on the engine know? Especially since there was insurance stuff? Might be kinda cool to look into.
Well, folks

Like flynhawaiian just mentioned, I was a victim of the rains about a month ago in the Los Angeles area. I went through a puddle of about 8 inches or so, and the engine died. Apparently, my Dinan CAI sucked in water and destroyed my pistons and rods. Therefore, there was nothing to fix, but to get a new motor. After, a 2 wk battle w/ Mercury, I managed to get a new motor for $4,500....which I think is not that bad, considering the previous engine had 52,000 miles...
So, here I am 1 month later going through break-in procedures for the first 1500 miles or so, then I can really enjoy its through power. :blink:

Gr8tful ed....yes, Andrew is a really cool guy...I did all my Dinan mods at his shop, just outstanding service.

Have fun,

Ed

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
You attached an image of your motor with the CAI. If this is the new motor, I'm surprised you are still are keeping the CAI after all that you went through????

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Ed ...

Which version of the Dinan CAI did you have installed on your when disaster struck??

Did you have the plastic area, adjacent to the Foglights, removed or were they solid plastic? If you had it removed ... Do you recall if you did it yourself OR did you have Avus do it by replacing the foglight frames?

If you replaced those frames ... Do you know if You or Avus had installed the Dinan supplied "Water Blockers"? Those are those black rectangular boxes (about 4"x7") ... Each of them (2 supplied) sit directly behind each of the foglights and they seem to prevent any water or debris from ever touching the airfilter via that adj.foglight route?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gra8fuldd ed said:
Ed ...

Which version of the Dinan CAI did you have installed on your when disaster struck??

Did you have the plastic area, adjacent to the Foglights, removed or were they solid plastic? If you had it removed ... Do you recall if you did it yourself OR did you have Avus do it by replacing the foglight frames?

If you replaced those frames ... Do you know if You or Avus had installed the Dinan supplied "Water Blockers"? Those are those black rectangular boxes (about 4"x7") ... Each of them (2 supplied) sit directly behind each of the foglights and they seem to prevent any water or debris from ever touching the airfilter via that adj.foglight route?
Well Ed,

I have the DINAN CAI with the sock over the filters...probably the first version. The plastic pieces by the foglights were in place and I'm not aware of any water blockers being installed.

But the issue was that there were no plastic covers in front of the tires or underneath the motor, so you figure all that water rushing in = waterski w/ 400bhp....bad juju...

Now I obviously put those missing plastic pieces on and everything should be well covered.

Ed

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thanx for the clarification!

Marion

flynhawaiian said:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
em5464 said:
Well Ed,

I have the DINAN CAI with the sock over the filters...probably the first version. The plastic pieces by the foglights were in place and I'm not aware of any water blockers being installed.

But the issue was that there were no plastic covers in front of the tires or underneath the motor, so you figure all that water rushing in = waterski w/ 400bhp....bad juju...

Now I obviously put those missing plastic pieces on and everything should be well covered.

Ed
Ed:

Y9ou mean to say that the entire under belly of the motor and the interior of BOTH wheel arches were completely exposed?

That being the case, I am sure no one was surprised that a problem arose.

A SOCK!!!???? I don't think I ever heard of that one. Did Dinan install a "Sock" over the Air Filters and really expect it to be water resilliant?? Hmmm.

The system that Dinan has today seems to work quite well. I'm 100% that Andrew will fix it up in the best manner possible.

·
10,445 Posts
the front bumper compartment is certainly not watertight, if you submerge it (and i think 8" will definately put it in the water) you're going to get water up to the filter, dinan baffles or not. The dinan baffles main use is to keep rain water out, while driving. I still avoid big puddles, personally.
Mike

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
mottati:

You are absolutely correct about the Dinan Baffles. They are there to keep the water that splashes up onto the front bumper and its adjacent area from going any further.
It was NOT designed to drive your car into a swimming pool or thru a small river. I guess you should pulled out the keys to the X5 for those adventures.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts