BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had created some other posts about my search for a CPO 08 M5, and I've finally negotiated a deal on one in SC. Buying the car sight unseen with PPI done by AiM Mobile Inspections. Unfortunately they don't put the car on a lift or check DME codes, but they check interior/exterior/everything is working properly and do a test drive. Best I could get since the dealership is in the middle of nowhere.

The car:
- 2008 M5, SMG, 42k miles, factory warranty/maintenance expires Nov 2011, CPO warranty thereafter (no maint)
- Space gray/Black full leather/Aluminum
- Options list:
____HEATED STEERING WHEEL (248)
____COMFORT ACCESS SYSTEM (322)
____SOFT-CLOSE AUTOMATIC DOORS (323)
____PWR REAR SUNSHADE W/REAR MANUAL SIDE WINDOW SHADES (416)
____VENTILATED FRONT SEATS (REQ: 456 Multi-Contour Seats & X2__ Perforated Merino Leather Seat Trim) (N/A w/4MA Multi-Function Seats) (453)
____20-WAY PWR MULTI-CONTOUR FRONT SEATS (456)
____FOLD DOWN REAR SEATS (465)
____REAR SEAT HEATING (496)
____IPOD & USB ADAPTER (6FL)
____HEAD-UP DISPLAY (610)
____HIGH-DEFINITION RADIO *Deletes STD Real Time Traffic Info* (653)
____SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO -inc: (1) year subscription (655)
____PREMIUM SOUND W/ENHANCED BASS (752)
- Original MSRP: $99.3k
- Production date: October 2007
- Body condition: 1" scratch on corner front bumper, 2 rock chips on hood, small door ding on front passenger door (they sent me pics)
- History: 1-owner - car was leased by a local resident and serviced at the selling dealership (they sent me copy of full service history and nothing stands out)
- Tires: Dealer put brand new rear tires on it (contis) as part of CPO certification and fronts have 7mm left (they sent me copy of CPO checklist)
- Brakes: Brakes have NOT been replaced yet. Idrive says rears have 23k miles left and fronts have 32k miles left. I can't imagine how that is possible on a 42k mile car, but it must have been driven very conservatively. Regardless, may end up buying extended maintenance since there is no way these brakes are done by 50k.

The deal:
- $47k out the door + TTL (vs. list of $50k on their website)
- Financed the minimum $7500 to get BMWFS CPO credit ($1500), and with BMWCCA CPO credit ($500), effective purchase price is $45k if comparing to non-CPO cars out there.
- But I'll have to spend about $1k having it inspected and transported up to NY from SC.

Thoughts on this deal? I've done a ton of research and asked them a million questions, but is there anything else I need to remember before they load it on the truck?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had created some other posts about my search for a CPO 08 M5, and I've finally negotiated a deal on one in SC. Buying the car sight unseen with PPI done by AiM Mobile Inspections. Unfortunately they don't put the car on a lift or check DME codes, but they check interior/exterior/everything is working properly and do a test drive. Best I could get since the dealership is in the middle of nowhere.

The car:
- 2008 M5, SMG, 42k miles, factory warranty/maintenance expires Nov 2011, CPO warranty thereafter (no maint)
- Space gray/Black full leather/Aluminum
- Options list:
____HEATED STEERING WHEEL (248)
____COMFORT ACCESS SYSTEM (322)
____SOFT-CLOSE AUTOMATIC DOORS (323)
____PWR REAR SUNSHADE W/REAR MANUAL SIDE WINDOW SHADES (416)
____VENTILATED FRONT SEATS (REQ: 456 Multi-Contour Seats & X2__ Perforated Merino Leather Seat Trim) (N/A w/4MA Multi-Function Seats) (453)
____20-WAY PWR MULTI-CONTOUR FRONT SEATS (456)
____FOLD DOWN REAR SEATS (465)
____REAR SEAT HEATING (496)
____IPOD & USB ADAPTER (6FL)
____HEAD-UP DISPLAY (610)
____HIGH-DEFINITION RADIO *Deletes STD Real Time Traffic Info* (653)
____SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO -inc: (1) year subscription (655)
____PREMIUM SOUND W/ENHANCED BASS (752)
- Original MSRP: $99.3k
- Production date: October 2007
- Body condition: 1" scratch on corner front bumper, 2 rock chips on hood, small door ding on front passenger door (they sent me pics)
- History: 1-owner - car was leased by a local resident and serviced at the selling dealership (they sent me copy of full service history and nothing stands out)
- Tires: Dealer put brand new rear tires on it (contis) as part of CPO certification and fronts have 7mm left (they sent me copy of CPO checklist)
- Brakes: Brakes have NOT been replaced yet. Idrive says rears have 23k miles left and fronts have 32k miles left. I can't imagine how that is possible on a 42k mile car, but it must have been driven very conservatively. Regardless, may end up buying extended maintenance since there is no way these brakes are done by 50k.

The deal:
- $47k out the door + TTL (vs. list of $50k on their website)
- Financed the minimum $7500 to get BMWFS CPO credit ($1500), and with BMWCCA CPO credit ($500), effective purchase price is $45k if comparing to non-CPO cars out there.
- But I'll have to spend about $1k having it inspected and transported up to NY from SC.

Thoughts on this deal? I've done a ton of research and asked them a million questions, but is there anything else I need to remember before they load it on the truck?
I have a little story to say to you and it happened to me...and im also in NY just like you
I bought a 28k cash on a 2006 SRT10 viper truck with 32k miles,one owner and so on but after asking the guys on the dealer 300 questions about the car and they answering all of them i felt like it was a pretty good deal ....As a matter of fact it was but i decided to ship the car here from minessota unseen just like you're doing...But when the car arrived it had a big *** ding on the bumper,little scratches all over the body,the tires were 50% instead of 75% as they say and other little things..Besides the car being under warranty just like yours i got a valve problem right after i bought it...cover under warranty but i'm sure if i inspected the car myself things wouldve been different...

So after all of that i decided that i wanted a alpine white on silverstone interior and took me 4 months to find but i found it in florida...So this time i flew in on friday,closed the deal and drove it back to NY...And my friend i suggest you do the same on a 47k car...besides SC is like 16hrs drive man..
My m5 was spotless not even on scratch on the paint but when i drove it i felt the smg hard to shift and just like the viper i had a smg problem 3 weeks after buying the m5...of course was covered under warranty but i ended spending my x-mas trip on my 1997 econoline work van because friking fidelity gave me 5 days rental and the dealer took 1 and 1/2 month just to figure what was wrong with the smg...And that because I inspected the car so you figure....
But anyways i hope my little story help you decide and welcome to the M5 family.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear you man. I definitely did a lot of soul searching to get comfortable on it, but with the info I've gathered and the 3rd party inspection I'm crossing my fingers.

Even if I went down there, I'm not an experienced mechanic so I wouldn't necessarily be able to see anything that the 3rd party inspector would miss. What would you ask a 3rd party inspector to listen/feel for when test driving an SMG M5?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought my 2008 E60 M5 from a private dealer, sight unseen. I hired a Lemon Squad inspector to drive the car, do a computer check of it and inspect the body. They gave me a list of items to negotiate the price and the deal went down quite well. I was nervous when the car rolled off the truck, but its been one week and I love it. No CPO, has about 30k in miles left on factory warranty. It is a 6-speed, so no SMG issues. Buying an SMG might concern me a bit more.

I had a pretty good experience and agree, the inspector knows more than I do.

Good luck.

·
Registered
275 Posts
CPO = Sleep easy

I think the fact that the dealer CPO'd it would let me sleep easy knowing it's most likely in good condition.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I bought my 2008 E60 M5 from a private dealer, sight unseen. I hired a Lemon Squad inspector to drive the car, do a computer check of it and inspect the body. They gave me a list of items to negotiate the price and the deal went down quite well. I was nervous when the car rolled off the truck, but its been one week and I love it. No CPO, has about 30k in miles left on factory warranty. It is a 6-speed, so no SMG issues. Buying an SMG might concern me a bit more.

I had a pretty good experience and agree, the inspector knows more than I do.

Good luck.

Just so you know (I'm in the same boat) the BMW factory warranty is 4year/50K miles, so although your car has 30K miles left on the factory warranty, your factory warranty will expire 4 years from the original in-service date. My 2008 was originally leased to the first owner in May, 2007 so my warranty will expire this May (2011) even if it still only has 33K miles. I'm currently trying to decide whether to get the extended warranty or take the gamble. Mine is an '08 with a manual, so VANOS is the main concern. My car was leased by a Doctor from, and serviced at, the dealer I bought it from so it was probably not abused. Im still thinking about it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think the deal you got is pretty fair. When bmw do CPO inspection, they pretty much go through everything that an independent inspection would go through. Previous scheduled services had to be done on time, carfax has to be clean in order for the car to qualify CPO warranty. They will have to replace all the wear and tear parts on the car if it falls below the minimum requirement for CPO warranty.
If I am buying a car with CPO warranty and lots of factory warranty left, the only thing I would worry about is exterior and interior condition. I would get a paint thickness gauge to check all the metal body panels to make sure no paint work was done to the car.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
If you plan on keeping the car, I would suggest getting ALL of the fluids changed. The covered BMW maintenance is not adequate for this car. Also, your plugs shout have been changed at no more than 37,000 miles.

As far as buying sight unseen, I purchased an 08 Infiniti QX56 in 2009 that is CPO from Pepe Infiniti. The truck came with a damaged laser cruise control unit in the front grill. They denied liability. The transport company denied liability. Infiniti would not warranty. It is a $1000 part, that I am stuck having to cover. YMMV

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ideliver. besides oil and brake fluid, what other fluids should I check to see was changed?

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I think it sounds good. Personally, I would rather have an 07 with lower miles, but this is a pretty good deal (assuming CPO'd to 100k miles/6 years). I would not worry about buying sight unseen, as long as you have a pre purchase inspection from a third party that is very knowledgeable about M5....sounds like you have that part covered. I'd go for it.

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I think it sounds good. Personally, I would rather have an 07 with lower miles, but this is a pretty good deal (assuming CPO'd to 100k miles/6 years). I would not worry about buying sight unseen, as long as you have a pre purchase inspection from a third party that is very knowledgeable about M5....sounds like you have that part covered. I'd go for it.

afc1
<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" type=hidden>
I agree with AFC1. I would prefer a lower mileage 2007 which you could probably pick up for less than what you are paying. However if the LCI is a must for you then you would not want a 2006/2007 MY. I have seen some low mileage 2007's with CPO for low-mid 40's.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with AFC1. I would prefer a lower mileage 2007 which you could probably pick up for less than what you are paying. However if the LCI is a must for you then you would not want a 2006/2007 MY. I have seen some low mileage 2007's with CPO for low-mid 40's.
Yes, 08 was important to me:
- I had an 08 550i so got used to LCI interior/exterior styling and didn't want to "backtrack"
- I think post-LCI will be helpful for resale (styling matches "final" E60 styling)
- wanted a decent amount of factory warranty/maintenance left, so I could have a little bit of a honeymoon period before the bills started. You can drive a truck through the loopholes in the CPO warranty.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think its a pretty good deal.. Especially with 100K warranty. I would prefer lower mileage but if you like it, sorry love it go for it!;);)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well, she's here. Guys at Intercity did a great job with delivery from SC.

Just took a quick test drive to get a feel for what it had...but didn't want to push it too hard on summer tires in 10 deg weather over here today (tires were like hockey pucks). Had an 08 550i, so knew how idrive and most of the features worked, but had to read up SMG settings, MDM mode, EDC, etc. How come there is no "Park" on the SMG stick?

On my immediate list of things to do:
- remove stupid trunk decal from selling dealer (asked them to do it but they clearly forgot)
- have 1 bumper scratch and a few rock chips repaired
- body color reflecters
- black or CF front grill
- RPI scoops/blockoff plates/carbon filter delete

and then eventually:
- CF steering wheel insert
- CF trim wrap (need someone in tristate area who does this - can't do it myself)

Almost a decade after joining this board, there is an M5 in my garage. :confused3

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats. Are they kidding with that decal?? It's a monster.
Yeah that decal is ridiculous. Can I just put a hair dryer on it and peel it off (followed by goo gone), or do I need something that produces more heat?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Probably just use dental floss followed by goo gone. Should come right off.

How do you like the M5 vs. the 550? obviously the 550 wasn't doing it for you but I was curious how much of a difference there is. Sometimes I wish I had just gone with a 550 with a sport package.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
You'll have no idea if it's been painted until it shows up at your door - then it's too late...unless that sort of stuff doesn't bother you.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts