BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I finally was able to have these done at 126,000 miles (04/2006 build date). In the interest of science, and for the S85 community, I have attached pictures of:

*Blackstone Laboratories oil analysis report, sample taken when the job was done (don't laugh at the OCI, 16,000 miles; I was waiting forever to get these parts in); previous analysis was the at the oil change prior to this

*Open crankcase

*New design piston coolers (oil spray nozzles)

*Old connecting rod bearings, position and cylinder number (unmarked one is 8th cylinder)

*Close up of a particularly badly worn connecting rod bearing half

Parts changed:

OEM BMW connecting rod bolts
BE/Mahl modified connecting rod bearings
high pressure VANOS oil line and required parts
new design OEM BMW piston coolers (oil spray nozzles)
10W60 synthetic oil
oil filter
oil pan gasket and other required fasteners
oil pump chain tensioner spring/guide kit

The parts came from Jim at Fast Attack Motorsports in Portland, ME. The labor was done by Ian at IS Garage, Bellevue, WA.

The job was finished ~1,000 miles/3 weeks ago; engine runs great and no issues so far.

Attachments

·
2,132 Posts
Great work and Well done with good parts.
So the blackstone was done after the bearing change? Or before/during?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys!

The Blackstone oil sample was taken from the old oil discharged during the connecting rod bearing change. I may do one more Blackstone (in the interest of science) to see how the lead concentration looks on fresh bearings.

·
Registered
252 Posts
So the stock bearings went 126k with REALLY extended OCIs? I have to ask--what's your driving style?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that's correct. I am the second owner at 42 kmi. I never tracked the car. I always wait until the oil temperature has a reading before driving off. Once fully warm I spin the motor as high as I want. I engine brake a lot. I only drive in S5 mode.

The extended OCI thing is not the cause; we've seen these bearings fail under far "gentler" conditions. I feel like people who do their OCI every 5 kmi or whatever are just trying to make themselves feel good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts