BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I am a new (active) member on the M5 board. I've been lurking around on this site since it was www.bmwm5.com. I'm going to digress into a long drawn out story of how I found out about BMWs and the ///M division, so if you bore easily, skip to the picture...

It all started with the very first BMW ///M I saw. It was back in my early college years (mid 90's) when I saw an e36 M3 sitting around on campus. I remember liking BMWs styling (this is before I really got into cars), but I noticed that this car in particular had something special about it. I didn't recognize the model number either (I thought it might have something to do with the materials company 3M). At the time I didn't know what ///M was, but I thought the car just looked better than a regular 3 series, but I couldn't put my finger on why... That event planted the seed that would shape my future with BMWs. A few years later, a friend of mine picked up an e36 M3. Well, I remember the car and how awesome it looked and now I could find out what (if anything) was so special about it. Once my friend told me about the BMW Motorsport division and what it was all about, I was hooked. Sedan's that are also performance cars? Subtle looks, killer driving dynamics? Wolf in sheep's clothing? YES, YES, YES. I thought the M3 was the be all end all of sport sedans. Little did I know a car was about to be released that would change all that. Sometime around 1999-2000, when the e39 M5 came out (as I am sure you all know), one of my buddies pointed it out to me and mentioned how it was ridiculous that some soccer mom has such an awesome car. Awesome? How could a big four door sedan be more awesome than the hotness that was the M3? It has more doors, it can't possibly be as fast (I know it's not all about speed now, but this is still a bit before my car days)... "As fast as?", responded my friend. "Try faster than... hell, that thing will hang with Carreras and Vettes." OMGWTFBBQSANDWICH. How was this possible? It's like a wolf in sheep's clothing in cow's clothing. More stealth? YES. This must be researched... It was then I came upon the Top Gear video of Tiff driving around the e39 M5 around on an airfield. I remember thinking "How is it possible a four door sedan can hang with 911's and Vette's?" Well, I am not the driver Tiff is, but he definitely showed what the car was capable of. I was totally blown away... This car would become my new automotive goal. I knew it was so far out of reach, but I aspired to own one... Anyway, I eventually graduated college and got the opportunity to own my first BMW - a e36 ///M3. It was the first BMW motorsport car I had ever seen, and the first one I got lucky enough to own. Fantastic car. Eventually I saved up enough (and prices came down enough) for me to start looking for an e39 M5. Two years of semi-active and heavily active searching finally led to...

Here's the stats:
2001 BMW M5 (Purchased in Aug. '07)
Carbon Black Exterior
Black Luxury Interior
Hardwired Valentine
B&B Exhaust
50K Miles
$32,000.00

It still has an aftermarket warranty on it for 100K miles or Oct. 2010. Not factory, but better than nothing (they've already paid out a claim). Took me awhile to get pictures due to the drought (and I was apprehensive about not being able to hand wash my own car). But I eventually took it to a hand wash shop and snapped some pics...

I'm sure all of you know how awesome the car is. I'm preaching to the choir here, but I must say it still makes me cry a little inside when I see it sitting in the garage. Haha, just starting to ramble now, so I'll end this now... I wanted to share my story with you all since I've been reading all your guys' stories since the beginning. I also wanted to let you all know how awesome you guys are at helping each other out. So much knowledge on here! Sometimes I think this board rivals BMWs knowledge of their own vehicles. Great site Gustav! Take care all and see you guys on the road!:M5launch:

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
congrats on your beast enjoy her with good health also great story

·
Registered
729 Posts
Congrats...pretty much sounds like my own personal story....

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have a soft spot for these threads.

I still stick my head in mine passing by it and huff the leather interior. I have CB/Caramel. '01 like yours, 25500 mi.

Mmmmmmm. For me, it was the first ///M I loved, but I first owned the e36 (and still do - hope to sell this weekend) M3 Sedan.

The e39 M5 is just so pants-droppingly ill it gets painful from time to time. I feel you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses!

Hey folks, I realized how annoying it was when I read posts of a new M5 and only got to see one angle... So let me remedy that...

The head on shots are of two different kidney trim kits. The first one is the blackout trim kit (which is matte black on the kidneys and the slats), and the second is the carbon black trim kit overlay (carbon black kidneys on matte black slats). I'm still debating which one looks better... I kind of like the matte because I think it suits the character of the car more, but I haven't made a firm decision. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Grill

I like the carbon black trim kit overlay (carbon black kidneys on matte black slats). Where did you get them, I am interested, $$ ?:M5launch:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I also vote for the Carbon Black. Just me, but the matte stuck out and looked like the car was trying too hard. Beautiful car either way. I'm also a big fan of ATL. Went to college there and still miss it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sweet

Beautiful car. How do you like the B&B exhaust? I want to upgrade my exhaust, but I dont want it to be too loud....:M5eyes:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Hey! Congrats, great to have another BMW ///M addict in the neighborhood...we have a really friendly group here in Atlanta, look out for future meetings.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Welcome- beautiful car! First Stuart Appleby, and now Jackie Chan. I feel lucky to be surrounded by so many celebrities.kinggf

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey all! Alright, I got both trim kits from www.bavauto.com. One of them required painting which they take care of before they send it out. The other one is a whole trim replacement piece. The carbon black kidneys are overlays that sit on top of the original kidney trim. You have to use some adhesive to stick them on - which actually causes a bit of a problem. The trim doesn't perfectly fit over the vertical slats. There are cutouts for the slats on the overlays, but I haven't gotten them to sit down 100% flush. This results in the carbon black trim "floating" off the hood by 1/4" - 1/8". While I don't think it's highly noticeable, I have to admit that it does sway me towards the matte black trim, which sits flush against the hood. Anyway, from my experience the overlays will only fit the OEM kidneys (I had to sand and paint the vertical portions matte black myself). Anyway, as far as price goes, I think they were around $80ish? I'll have to go find the part numbers and post them. If I had to do it all over again, I would get the matte black trim replacement and have those painted up instead. As far as the exhaust goes, I think it sounds very very loud. I have to admit, I am not a big fan of the AMG style oval tips - I prefer the round tips. Still, I loved the car so much otherwise that it was not a deal breaker for me. It makes the car sound like old school Detroit muscle as opposed to a raspy F1 inspired high revving V8. Still, it's not "bad" enough for me to change it just yet... If I could find something that changes the M5 exhaust in the same way a Stromung exhaust changed the M3 sound, I would get that in a heartbeat. In the end though, I think if a person is interested in a loud, old school V8 sound, the B&Bs sound great.

Atlanta M5 - I've read numerous posts of yours and have seen the transformations your car has gone through. I must say, your car looks great! Hopefully I'll be able to bankroll some awesome mods in the future.

Thanks for all the kind words folks! Take care!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Awesome car...it looks just like mine!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Beautiful car... Welcome to the board and congrats on acheiving your goal. Great feeling, isn't it?:thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts