BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well the day finally arrived. I picked her up last night.

Details: 2002 Jet Black 23,600 miles CPO to 7/08 or 100K (it'll be date driven not the miles). I paid a bit more than I should have according to all of the others on the Board, but it was so clean.... $57,850.

To be done as part of the deal... Replace the Aluminum trim for wood. (Sorry, looking for the sleeper luxury car look versus the sporty look.) Remove the rear cellular antenna and then retint the rear window.

The car has the power rear screen, PDC, M audio, fold down seats. (A bit concerned about this after learning that the standard seats are more comfortable. Oh well!.... Did I say it was super clean!?

Issues discovered today..
1) The AM radio reception is terrible! I only have the radio stop in 2 stations during scans - and this in the Los Angeles Area. (Wondering if the tint is metal. If the redo the rear non-metallic, will that fix it if that is the issue?)
2) The Driver's seat isn't very comfortable. The center bottom segment (not the part that moves forward) seems to hit high on my thigh. Didn't notice that on the test drive. Will this get better as the car "wears in" to me?
3) When I spanked it I noticed that shifting from 2 to 3, the clutch doesn't grab and the revs went right up to yellow. Does this mean I need a new clutch, or should I be letting the revs drop lower before hitting the gas after shifting? (The clutch was completely out when I punched it.) (Doesn't seem to slip in 1st from stop, or going to second.)
4) Tried to program the Universal remote to my Craftsman garage door opener and it didn't seem to take.

Any input will be helpful.

But regardless - I am thrilled to FINALLY be an owner of a Beast!!

Oh, now would be a good time to explain my username. All of my cars purchased since I bought my Dad's old 65 LTD have been stick. I love driving manual transmission cars! Even in traffic jams, I don't mind. You have so much control. The new SMGs just don't interest me, I want a stick. I want full control of what I am doing to make the car go. I'll pull the lever when I'm playing GT4.

Thank you all for your advice and input. You are a great group of guys and ladies (Anita + others?)
Best Wishes,
Alfred
P.S. I'm inspired by willm5ad's chrome around the windows. And no, I'm not changing the front corners to be clear. But an exhaust is absolutely in the plans. :haha:

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Congrats Stickman! She's a beauty!

Did you used to or still have an E34 M5? I remember seeing one as your avatar. If so, do you still have it or did you sell it? Please also post your impression between the 2 beasts.

Enjoy,
Charles :M5rev:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Stickman said:
2) The Driver's seat isn't very comfortable. The center bottom segment (not the part that moves forward) seems to hit high on my thigh. Didn't notice that on the test drive. Will this get better as the car "wears in" to me?
Ze M5 was designed for ze driver mit ze narrow und muscular buttocks -- ze flabby American driver must immediately begin working out mit ze calistenics und proper diet. Und NO strudel!

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Congrats and :cheers:!

The clutch problem you describe does not seem normal to me; I'm sure more mechanically inclined members will speak up. I haven't tried the AM radio in my car and so cannot commnet on the reception. I have always found the front seat in the M5s I have driven to be very comfortable.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Stickman said:
3) When I spanked it I noticed that shifting from 2 to 3, the clutch doesn't grab and the revs went right up to yellow. Does this mean I need a new clutch, or should I be letting the revs drop lower before hitting the gas after shifting? (The clutch was completely out when I punched it.) (Doesn't seem to slip in 1st from stop, or going to second.)
4) Tried to program the Universal remote to my Craftsman garage door opener and it didn't seem to take.
first, congratulations and welcome.

i want to first preface that i am new to m5 ownership (purchased 4/05) but, from what you described it sounds like your clutch was slipping from 2-3 and that you may need to have it replaced. however, if you are getting on the gas and consistently burning rubber going from 0-1 and 1-2 without noticing slipping in the clutch, then i don't know what to tell you, and maybe others can comment. it seems to me that if you can get the clutch to slip going from one gear to another, that you should be able to get it to slip going into others. if it is slipping, then i would bring it up with the dealer and see what can be done about it seeing you just walked off the lot with it

as far as the garage door opener- if you consult your owner's manual it may help, but i have an 'overhead door' brand that (the name of the technology escapes me at this time) after every use changes electronic codes and therefore was incompatible with the universal remote. according to the manual, not all brands utilizing this technology are incompatible with bmw's universal remote.

bryon

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Stickman said:
Well the day finally arrived. I picked her up last night.

Details: 2002 Jet Black 23,600 miles CPO to 7/08 or 100K (it'll be date driven not the miles). I paid a bit more than I should have according to all of the others on the Board, but it was so clean.... $57,850.

To be done as part of the deal... Replace the Aluminum trim for wood. (Sorry, looking for the sleeper luxury car look versus the sporty look.) Remove the rear cellular antenna and then retint the rear window.

The car has the power rear screen, PDC, M audio, fold down seats. (A bit concerned about this after learning that the standard seats are more comfortable. Oh well!.... Did I say it was super clean!?

Issues discovered today..
1) The AM radio reception is terrible! I only have the radio stop in 2 stations during scans - and this in the Los Angeles Area. (Wondering if the tint is metal. If the redo the rear non-metallic, will that fix it if that is the issue?)

Any input will be helpful.

But regardless - I am thrilled to FINALLY be an owner of a Beast!!

Oh, now would be a good time to explain my username. All of my cars purchased since I bought my Dad's old 65 LTD have been stick. I love driving manual transmission cars! Even in traffic jams, I don't mind. You have so much control. The new SMGs just don't interest me, I want a stick. I want full control of what I am doing to make the car go. I'll pull the lever when I'm playing GT4.

Thank you all for your advice and input. You are a great group of guys and ladies (Anita + others?)
Best Wishes,
Alfred
P.S. I'm inspired by willm5ad's chrome around the windows. And no, I'm not changing the front corners to be clear. But an exhaust is absolutely in the plans. :haha:
Chromed windows were an Individual option stickman welcome aboard bro.
WillM5AD

·
Registered
569 Posts
I would have traded my pristine wood trim with you.

Congrats on the purchase though.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
If the clutch doesn't hook up soundly on the 2-3 shift, it is toast. Get them to replace it now before you drive it with it slipping more and then they call it abuse. ;)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Jaeger said:
Und NO strudel!
No Strudel, Man, you guys are tough!! :1:

Thanks for the all the great comments. I appreciate your fellowship.

I have a E-34 535i which my son is driving - hence the need for a newer car!!:7: Didn't mean to mislead anyone with my old avitar, a regular E-34 wasn't available, and I didn't feel qualified to post with an E-39 M5 avitar until I had one. (BTW, I didn't find a Jet Black front view w the stock front and had to use a Carbon Black one.)

I'm not catching rubber in any gears - not driving it quite that hard. (Although to CPO the car, the dealer had to put on brand new standard tires. I need to take the car to a CCA Driving Class so I can wear them out to get some Sport Pilot 2s!) But I agree with you guys, it sounds like the clutch may be going. Now if I never really get on it, I won't notice. But how likely is that?:hihi:

You wouldn't have wanted this aluminum trim - I just noticed at lunch time today that it has some fine scratches on the Driver's door panel.

Being Car Nuts, you can relate to this.... when I saw the car the first time on Saturday, I commented on what a poor detail job had been done on it. The salesman said that they had paid $275 for the detail. I told him to get his money back. (I wasn't kidding.) White residue on the door trim, and many spots where the wax was not fully removed - including in the middle of the hood! (The car was clean - you could see no chips in the paint up front, and very clean inside - no discoloration on the driver's seat like I'd seen on the other ones. But the detailing job was not up to my standards.) Originally I walked away from the car, because they wanted to charge me $59K for it with the wood exchange. Then they called back saying that they found one of their techs that was willing to make the exchange on his own. Anyway, the salesman said that they were going to detail the car again - I told him to please not too! (And thankfully they didn't). I know you guys can relate.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Congrats Stickman, welcome to the club. Hope we all can share valuable information in the future. Im loving my new silver beast too :cheers:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Re: get it to the dealer

Stickman - congrats. I just got a jet black '01 last month and love it completely. FYI - DavidS posted a link to a clutch issue I had last week. My clutch started doing what yours did and within a week it was slipping on highway merge. I called my dealership and stressed that I bought a CPO car because they say they are perfect....and they paid to replace the clutch. Since you just got it, I would heavily stress you getting their attention asap.

One thought - when the service manager tested my car, he looked at the mileage (35K) and said, yup, it's about time. He also noted that below 20K he has a problem with BMW as they believe a clutch that fails below 20K is pure abuse. Not that I think your dealer should do anything but replace your clutch, but it would be in the back of my mind that someone they may claim that the car was abused, but there is no way they should try to pin that on you and if the previous owner abused it, it's not your fault

1 - 13 of 13 Posts