BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An update on my previous thread (http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48729)

My wife and I picked her up yesterday, and have now driven almost 1000 miles from TN towards my home in Tucson...I expect to arrive home Friday.

All I can say is WOW!! I'm loving every mile and still getting used to the car vs. my E39 530 - the clutch feel is very different, not to mention the speed!

I purchased board member Mtxc's 2002 M5 (21+K miles on it) essentially from him but with an official CPO in the process - a great deal and Brad took great care of this car. I'll give more details about all when I get back home.

The only flaw was that the BMW dealership had powerwashed the car and got some water behind one of the headlight covers and it misted up. I did a search on this board (thanks guys!) and know that I can either wait and see if it happens again or get it replaced so I'm not too worried about it.

I'm pretty tired right now, having driven all day, but VERY happy.

Kevin

·
Registered
136 Posts
good job. i still remember my 9 hour drive home two weeks ago. nice feeling. the car sounds very similar to mine. i hope i got a better deal than you did.. :)

congrats..
James

·
Registered
301 Posts
Congrats on your new beast Kevin... I hope you have many happy miles together...

I wish I could buy a 01-03 M5 at U.S prices here in Australia. At around $50k US = $65k AU, and I'd be a happy camper indeed driving an M5 for that kinda money. You'd be doing well to find a 96-98 M3 here for that price... 01-02 M5's are going for about $85-$95k US, and 02-04 M3's are going for around the same... :(

The fully imported Pontiac GTO sells for around $15k AU less in the states than the Monaro it's based on here down under... Go figure...

Enjoy your beast... :D

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
KevinM said:
The only flaw was that the BMW dealership had powerwashed the car and got some water behind one of the headlight covers and it misted up. I did a search on this board (thanks guys!) and know that I can either wait and see if it happens again or get it replaced so I'm not too worried about it.
I think it's always going to mist in the winter, sometimes during the other seasons too. It's like condensation in a glass of cold water in the summer. The E60 looks like it has some kind of air circulation system next to the headlight cover that could be meant to resolve this problem.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Hey Kevin-

That's great- when I was first shopping, Brad had worked out that dealer cpo thing - I was almost going to buy his M (it was my first color choice, grey + caramel) but wound up with an 03. (I also did a cpo thing with a dealer on a private party sale.

It seemed like a super clean and well cared for M- Brad was great to talk with- just glad another Board member has kept this M in the family!

A

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Congrats Kevin! Reminds me of my two day trip back from Denver last Feb. :) I had an 02 540i/6 prior to the M5, and the M5 was a major upgrade in speed department. I kept the 540i for a few more months, so I had a lot of time to drive each back-to-back...no comparison. I can only imagine the feeling you have coming from the 530i. :cool: :M5launch:

Chuck

·
Registered
105 Posts
:byee55amg

Congrats...

I just got home two days ago from a holiday trip from Washington DC to Tampa Florida and back.

While the M5 is my daily drive, I don't get to often take it on long hauls. What a joy this car is on long drives. You get to really appreciate it after about 8 hours in the seat...

Now speaking of seats...

One of other threads on the board was about seat heaters.. and the suggestion was to use them ALL the TIME on the low setting...especially on long hauls.

WOW!!! What a great difference this made in the trip. With strong lumbar support and gentle heat... I arrived with NO back issues... refreshed... and ready to go another 1,000 miles.

Take the hint...

Turn on the seat heaters.... even in warm weather if you are going to spend more that 30 to 45 minutes in the seat....

Bob

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replys, guys.

I'm in Albuquerque now with relatives and will arrive home tomorrow. Today the Colgin bra partially came off at about 90 mph and in the process caused a bunch of small paint chips above the passenger side front bumper!!:sad2: The winds were high and one of the clips below the bumper had come loose. Oh well, I needed to take it in to my body shop guy anyway to repair a few existing paint chips and for a detail - now he'll just have more work to do!

Other than that, a continued joy. Bob - I agree about the heated seat comment - I put in on just to see if it worked and my low muscle ache from driving all day went away. Thanks to all the other board members for their encouraging comments. Once the car is back from the detailers I'll post some new pictures in the gallery section.

Kevin

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
M5xtc said:
Kevin,

Take some time away from your new beast and give us an update!! :D
Hey Brad!!

Had a great trip back from Albuquerque to Tucson. The Colgan bra was secured and I took her up to 140 without any problem (just for a short distance on a deserted road). Fantastic. When I got back to Tucson, city driving seemed so different and wonderful!

I took the car to my body shop/detailer Monday morning and am picking it up tomorrow morning. I can't wait, just the almost 2 day separation from my new toy has been too much. When Frank (the owner of the body shop) saw the car he said "This is a clean car!" .

I had a few electronic gremlins mostly involving the DSP. It did not want to turn on for one day and sometimes does not remember the last settings I had programed...any advice/experience?

I will post some pictures this weekend.

I want to thank M5xtc for his help in purchasing this car. He worked out a great deal for me, wherein I received a full CPO for a nominal fee over his lease buyout. I also paid M5xtc a nominal fee but in the end got a great CPO M5 at a price much less than I expected. Plus, I was searching long an hard for a Sterling Gray/Caramel...not easy to find.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First pictures!

These are not very good, I know, but I took them when I got home tonight. This weekend I'll take some decent ones outside.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Re: First pictures!

KevinM said:
These are not very good, I know, but I took them when I got home tonight. This weekend I'll take some decent ones outside.

Hey kevin,

Congrats, looks like a great car. How have the Caramel seats held up after a few years of ownership? Are they staring to look a little stained or worn?

Thanks, Greer.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Welcome to the board and I am sure you'll enjoy the M5.

Happy Motoring

war

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

greer said:
Hey kevin,

Congrats, looks like a great car. How have the Caramel seats held up after a few years of ownership? Are they staring to look a little stained or worn?

Thanks, Greer.
The interior has held up very well. I posted an interior pic on this thread...http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49736

The left bolster on the driver's seat has a small amount of wear as does the driver side armrest. The rest is as new, amazing given how soft the leather is (much different than the indestructable leather in my 530).

I live in a very warm state, so I was searching for a caramel interior for my Sterling Gray M5 (rather than black)...I was not disappointed!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts

Very nice terrain as a background. If you take a picture directly of the front, try getting down really low and take a shot - just a bit lower than in your picture. It's a nice perspective looking up. Somehow it gives the car a bolder stance. I'm not a photographer, but I saw a picture from that perspective on a 5 series brochure. The car was parked in the middle of an empty desert road with thundering dark skies and mountains in the background.

·
Registered
158 Posts
a_ok2me said:
I think it's always going to mist in the winter, sometimes during the other seasons too. It's like condensation in a glass of cold water in the summer. The E60 looks like it has some kind of air circulation system next to the headlight cover that could be meant to resolve this problem.
I get the same mist in the driver's side front headlight lens cover, and I live in Hawaii, so it can't be a function of cold weather. It happens when I wash the car, so I suspect the seal is bad. The dealership told me that they couldn't find anything wrong and that it is "normal", which I figure is BS since the passenger side lens doesn't mist up at all. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Norgeiron said:
I get the same mist in the driver's side front headlight lens cover, and I live in Hawaii, so it can't be a function of cold weather.
No, it's not cold weather; it's the opposite hot and humid weather hitting a cold front, which is water from the spray gun. I lived in MN most of my life and it happens during, if I can remember right, hot humid days and the winters. It's like the weather. People in MN talk about that a lot. And yes, the lense is heavily sealed. I took a unit apart before. But, the headlight assembly is far from air tight. There is a ventilation cap on the top that you can unscrew to relieve the moisture. Turn it and lift it up and out with a philips screwdriver.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts