BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, after months of lurking on this forum and being totally addicted to Searchtempest, I found my E39. I've been an active member on Tacoma forums, coffee geek forums, Ducati forums, classic Honda motorcycle forums, and am proud to join your ranks!

As I'm sure you all know, Southern California usually has several good examples on craigslist or on car lots, but finding a stock, unmolested one with relatively low miles and meticulous service records is harder than I thought, unless I wanted to pay $35k and have one shipped from EAG...

That is, until yesterday! I found exactly what I was looking for on consignment at a small independent BMW service shop and dealer. A 2002 Titanium Silver with two tone "ostrich" extended leather. It was driven consistently, but only 8k per year or so, and came complete with a three ring binder with service receipts and records. I had it inspected by a different independent shop and they were equally impressed with the condition. There were a few small cosmetic issues they noticed that I never would have, like the reflective triangle missing from the tool kit, which the dealer agreed to replace. The seller was very reasonable and accepted my second offer, far below his original asking price.

I couldn't be happier now owning what I consider to be the best driver's car to ever be conceived. The last of the great mechanical driving experiences (preaching to the choir, I know). My plans for modifications are modest, and are mostly creature comfort and small cosmetics with the exception of drop-in K&Ns, a muffler delete with Timmay tips, and chip. ZHP knob and E60 shifter are already en route, as are angel eye LEDs, Euro armrest, and refreshed M and BMW badging.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Congrats! Any maintenance needed at this point, or is it ready to be a daily driver for you?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's ready to go. Has had all significant service work done. I'm expecting a clutch in the next 25k or so as it's still factory original, but it's still grabs hard so no need yet.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
AFAIK, no US models came with the triangle reflector. It is a Euro market item only. My buddy took Euro delivery of his 135i Performance Package and while he had the triangle there, they said to keep it before getting it sent back to the US or they would remove it and you wouldn't have it when you got back.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Congrats and welcome aboard.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm excited to be part of the community! I'm not particularly worried about the reflective triangle though. It was more to showcase how thorough the independent inspection was.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Congrats! Can't wait to see some more pictures :).

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Congrats and welcome. Almost 10 years into the party and I'm still enjoying mine. You will be very happy.

I don't want to open a can of worms, but you might want to do a search on the the board about K&N filters and fouled MAFs. People on both sides of course...make your own decision.:)

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
OP, congratulations on the purchase and enjoy your new beast.
Congrats and welcome. Almost 10 years into the party and I'm still enjoying mine. You will be very happy.

I don't want to open a can of worms, but you might want to do a search on the the board about K&N filters and fouled MAFs. People on both sides of course...make your own decision.:)
If I recall correctly, the issues with the K&N or others like them, is MAF fouling from the oil in the filter media. Using a dry filter is recommended. If you are only replacing the filter element there is very little, or no, advantage in using anything other than the OE elements.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After a few weeks with my beast, the only thing I don't understand is how someone could have one in their garage and not drive it! I love this thing. SSK goes in tonight, muffler delete this week. VROOOOOM!

·
Registered
470 Posts
After a few weeks with my beast, the only thing I don't understand is how someone could have one in their garage and not drive it! I love this thing. SSK goes in tonight, muffler delete this week. VROOOOOM!
It sounds like you have learned quickly. These cars are meant to be enjoyed.

Have fun with the muffler delete. You will probably drop a 100lbs of the car in doing so.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Congrats. Awesome color. Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts