BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I contacted the Swiss EBC brake pad distributer, if they have something for the B8 (they advertise with "we can deliver brake pads for any car", so I felt free to ask them about the B8).

OK, they wrote back, that they could produce special brake pads for the B8 with any EBC pad compound:

pricing:

EBC Redstuff Ceramic, Nr. DP1024, approx 200 Euro +tax

EBC Yellowstuff R (race compound, comparable with Pagid yellows), approx 230 Euro + tax

EBC Bluestuff (endurance race compound), approx 250 Euro + tax

for the rear several brake pads for E36 M3 are available.

more infos:
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Automotive.html

The yellowstuff looks promising for my purposes (occasional track driving/ Nordschleife, Mountain- and Country road driving).

Somebody has experience with EBC red/yellow/bluestuff?

If more people are interested I could ask for a rebate. Or if a UK member would ask EBC directly, I think the price would probably also be lower.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hi Mill,

with the ACS breaks, I need different pads compared to the standard B8 pads - so I wouldn't be able to help reduce the price. Is my understanding correct, that you couldn't be able to use the yellow pads on public roads since they specify that for the red and green pads ?

Cheers, Alex

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, for the ACS brakes you need different size of brake pads (the same size as the E38 750i uses or Audi RS4(?)) but I think, you don't have any issues anymore since you already have much better brakes than the original B8. If you want to try out a different brake pad compound, just ask Manhart, he knows what will work with your brakes.

In Germany you can only use certain approved types of aftermarket "sport" brake pads for road use (such as EBC green/redstuff or Ferodo DS2000/2500).
In Switzerland we are free to chose what kind of brake pad compound we use, but on the other hand it's much harder for the us find a street legal big brake kit.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
the yellowstuff compound mentioned above is: Yellowstuff R (1793). According to the Swiss EBC Distributor, the Yellowstuff R is street legal (also in Germany?)

Although a full race material and capable of high temperature use with very good wear life, this new formulation sets a new trend in race type brake pad compounds. The “bite” from cold is superb which is uncommon with race materials (normally requiring warm-up) and makes this a pad which can be safely used on the highway as well as on the race track. This new formulation was used by numerous championship race and rally drivers in 2004 and is truly a milestone in brake pad material development.

Nominal friction coefficient 0.46 with zero rotor damage and low dust.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, I tested them yesterday on the race track (ex-F1 track Dijon-Prenois, France). All I can say is: these brake pads really work!

I had full brake performance even after 10+ laps. Dijon has one long straight where you have to brake hard from 220-230 km/h down to 80 km/h the rest of the track has lots of fast and long bends and nice up+downhill sections (reminds me a bit of Nordschleife). Very nice track, but also very tire consuming.

I still haven't found any downsides of these pads:
+much improved brake performance
+no fading any more
+brake very well also when cold
+no squeeking as with other perfromance brake pads such as pagid RS19, Hawk HT10 etc.
+no vibrations

So I can fully recommend them to all B8 owners, even If you don't plan to use your car on the race track as they are fully steetable and suitable for everyday use.

If you use them on the race track a high performance brake fluid is highly recommended (such as ATE Blue Racing).

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no I changed front and rear (rear pads are EBC yellowstuff-R for E36 M3)..and I also used a higher grade brake fluid.

·
Registered
477 Posts
As you know I already solved the problem for the front with new breaks but I'm still running on the E36 M3 breaks and standard break pads in the rear. Maybe I should replace them with the ECB pads.

Cheers, Alex

N.B. What tyre preasure are you running on your tyres? I'm still experimenting with the 18" rims and 225 / 255 tyres.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you are happy with your brakes, I wouldn't change anything...but for all others with standard B8 brakes, this is a nice and low cost upgrade.

Tire pressure: I run 235/40/18 in the front (not 225). The pressure I use is 2.4 bar front and 2.7 bar rear.

I have ZERO understeer at the front wheels (with bigger swaybars f/r and more negative front camber)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mill,

The report is excellent and I am interested in getting some. Have EBC made a run of these or just your set? Also who is the contact to speak to about getting a set.

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi Mill and Frosty

If you have any info for these pads in order to purchase in the UK, please let me know.

Many thanks

Joni P

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
My contact was the Swiss EBC represenative..but EBC is a british company and they make them overthere. Just call them up and ask for prices, tell them they already did a set for the B8 for a customer in Switzerland...

Group purchase prices would be interesting!

If you order, make sure they use the correct brake pad wear sensor connector. Mine did not fit and are not connected at the moment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is excellent news. I always thought the (original) ALPINA brake pads were way overpriced.

However, I am a bit confused and hope that someone can help me out here. (Did try a thorough search, but was not able to find an answer).

When looking for (front) pads for my B3 3,2 Touring (#84/E36/98) on the EBC site, the product numbers (DP41024) for my car and the B8 are identical. I thought the front calipers on these two cars were different.

Second, are rear pads standard BMW for my B3 (does not show up on EBC) ?

Any input (to a board newbie) is really appreciated.

Cheers,
Carsten

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
This is excellent news. I always thought the (original) ALPINA brake pads were way overpriced.

However, I am a bit confused and hope that someone can help me out here. (Did try a thorough search, but was not able to find an answer).

When looking for (front) pads for my B3 3,2 Touring (#84/E36/98) on the EBC site, the product numbers (DP41024) for my car and the B8 are identical. I thought the front calipers on these two cars were different.

Second, are rear pads standard BMW for my B3 (does not show up on EBC) ?

Any input (to a board newbie) is really appreciated.

Cheers,
Carsten
the EBC pads shown on the EBC site (DP41024) only fit, if your B3 3.2 has the (optional?) B8 brakes (326x26mm)!

If your brakes are smaller, then you have standard brakes and you should look for standard E36 328 fitment pads (front and rear).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thx for the quick response :cheers:

the EBC pads shown on the EBC site (DP41024) only fit, if your B3 3.2 has the (optional?) B8 brakes (326x26mm)!
Seems like the EBC info is not quite clear as to what fits and what does'nt.

If your brakes are smaller, then you have standard brakes and you should look for standard E36 328 fitment pads (front and rear).
As far as I know based on the production data on the car, the brakes are standard. Whether this means standard-Alpina or standard-BMW (328), I will find out by a visual inspection of the 'old' pads and measuremet of the brakedisc. My understanding was that Alpina upgraded - at least - the front brakes on the B3 3,2 E36 models. :confused2

Cheers,
Carsten.

·
Administrator
8,806 Posts
As far as I know based on the production data on the car, the brakes are standard. Whether this means standard-Alpina or standard-BMW (328), I will find out by a visual inspection of the 'old' pads and measuremet of the brakedisc. My understanding was that Alpina upgraded - at least - the front brakes on the B3 3,2 E36 models. :confused2
From what I can find out the B3 3.2 had standard 328i brakes front and rear. As 'Sonderausstattung' it was possible to get the larger 326x26mm brakes.

It seems to be correct as the B6 2.8 and the B3 3.0 only have standard 325i brakes...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts