BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
New owner as well, picking up an e61 on Wednesday, the e39 has always tempted me but the touring for family practicality was where I wanted to head if going for the m5. No doubt the e39 will be a more reliable, frugal car. Always fancied one and no doubt missed the boat with prices rising. Hope you enjoy it

·
Registered
162 Posts
Welcome Dom! I am a new (last Oct) owner of a 2000 M5 as well. I had five other E39 cars, including three 540/6 speeds. Watched the prices, started looking and finally found the right car and jumped on it. I love the M5. Comfortable, powerful, good looking and understated (except exhaust pipes). For many reasons, the 2000 model it a bit of a red headed stepchild. I happen to like the white on black gauges, the headlights work great and the lenses can be easily changed, the taillights are OK and the rest is pretty similar. I did an oil analysis, using Blackstone, and it did show more metal in the oil than I had hoped for. I am scheduled to do rod bearings in the next few weeks.

I have decided that the car is a long term car for me, and I will keep it until I should not be driving any more. At 68, who knows when that may happen. For me, money is no object with my car, within limits. I will be in my car $30k once the new front style 65 wheels go on and the rod bearings are done. LOT of money, but I will have a near perfect, totally stock, 46k mile, three local owner car in anthracite over full leather. A new Honda Accord Sport would cost more and would not make me grin every time I looked at the car.

Enjoy your M5!!!!! This forum is a wealth of info to keep the car going and enjoyable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
DaveinGigHarbor
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing