BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting a BMW 60 M5 Valvetronic Exhaust System - Fi Exhaust for my beast. However, it wants a vacuum connection to operate the valves. What is the best place to pick up vacuum? Near the vacuum assist pump or elsewhere? Did anybody else do this? Or should I just go for Eisenmann mufflers and call it the day? I like the valve aspects to quiet it down a bit when needed.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I would probably pick it up somewhere near the top left side of the engine bay for ease of keeping an eye on it. As for the system, vacuum is vacuum and it wouldn't care. That large "air" tank while correctly named really serves as a vacuum accumulator so valve operation won't cause pressure transients and disrupt engine operation.

If you wanted to be really cool, find someone who has a bunch of extra vacuum pumps, install one near the air tank as a standalone system. ;)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes. That may be easier in fact, at least for me. I wish the whole thing was electrically actuated like the GT2. I can see if I could retrofit something like that.

If I put a pump in my trunk, then I want it such that it stops pumping at a certain pressure level, to avoid the noise when I do not use it. So, I would have to rig something up like that. Sounds like a project again. Is PT-CAN available in the back somewhere? Such that I can put the controller box there as well? Mounting it on the OBD-II is stupid.

See PM.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Yes. That may be easier in fact, at least for me. I wish the whole thing was electrically actuated like the GT2. I can see if I could retrofit something like that.

If I put a pump in my trunk, then I want it such that it stops pumping at a certain pressure level, to avoid the noise when I do not use it. So, I would have to rig something up like that. Sounds like a project again. Is PT-CAN available in the back somewhere? Such that I can put the controller box there as well? Mounting it on the OBD-II is stupid.

See PM.
The box will be looking for data on the K or D CAN bus as PT-CAN isn't available in the OBD plug (wouldn't that be handy though?). I would think you could contact a EE somewhere and build a small latching relay vacuum switch arrangement for you. :p

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The box will be looking for data on the K or D CAN bus as PT-CAN isn't available in the OBD plug (wouldn't that be handy though?). I would think you could contact a EE somewhere and build a small latching relay vacuum switch arrangement for you. :p
Truthfully, I don't really care about RPM dependent valve actuation. On and off is just fine LOL!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Assignment complete professor RT.
Don't know if this is the place, but it is Your thread, so here we go....

Liking the SS non res xpipe and the Etronic more and more so far.

Pretty much as advertised, and that ain't easy.Power seems to be the same. Thought I might have lost a little, but was so enthralled in the sound, I was in p400.
Rediscovered the M button, left the poor guy next to me in a Really loud cloud of dust :devil

Here's a couple of pics and vids, full review and hopefully better vids and sound to come

Todays helper, remote and $1300 Dinmann keychain :wink

Current mic setup (trying to make Woody proud)

Fitment of 100mm slant cut and black back boxes

Videos

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/167675020" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/167675137" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/167675271" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
363 Posts
And open

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/167829543" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/167829354" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
And open

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/167829543" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/167829354" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
:eek

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Holy Cow! You scared my 6 year old daughter. LOL! I turned it up loud in the living room. And she came running up to me telling me it was too scary. I guess mission accomplished. So, it must turn heads, including the State cop's heads. Ha ha. Nice but I am going to fail back just a tad for my daily drive. Haha. Although I do like to scare those Prius clown drivers like this. I can't stand them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Great... The scary man from the M5 thing :sprint00:

Mic doesn't do it justice. Interference and distortion, especially the burble and pops. Sounds Much cleaner in person.

With the valves closed, completely unnoticed in the neighbourhood.
Wife did not know modifications had yet been made when I pulled up.

You can go from driving WOT ape chit crazy > to p400, valves closed (10 secs), D1 or low revs and no one would think the loud car is you....

It does rumble and vibrate a bit more than stock above 3k but I would definitely consider this if you are considering the variable valves. I understand some of those are never really much *quieter* during operation.

I know the IPE is LOUD, and I imagine the F1 is about the same, but that's usually with their whole exhaust (tubulars, decat sec 1, true x, variable valve mufflers)
Also, these systems seem pricey, but in all reality I have spent just as much (way more time and effort and wasted money) getting there in a piecemeal fashion, so really it's preference.

I think if you have valves, you will want to open and hear low rpm too, so if you go variable make sure you can go manual too. bro.

I considered adding resonators (12 or 18" vibrants), but the low rpm pops and gurgles sound really neat, and its not offensive unless you get on it.
I cannot even hear the exhaust note cruising at 80 with valves open, I'm sure its there, but I have not ridden next to my car or heard drive by. Actually quieter in cabin with valves open under certain circumstances on highway under light load.

RT, given all that's available today, with your knowledge and experience you will be able to build a system that is exactly what you want.

I don't know really how to feel yet, because I liked the stock 1,2 and 3 with the headers, but I am really impressed with this Etronic.
It can't be easy to go from reasonably quiet, to the BEAST IN THE LIVING ROOM. :angel

Since we cannot out torque the turbos, maybe we can blast them into submission with a pre race pass..........:confused3

·
Registered
695 Posts
Truthfully, I don't really care about RPM dependent valve actuation. On and off is just fine LOL!

Cool! but why not just run a electric exhaust cutout? Seems like a much simpler solution but maybe I am missing the point.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool! but why not just run a electric exhaust cutout? Seems like a much simpler solution but maybe I am missing the point.
Electrical is possible too but they are not known for reliability. And my current system has the vacuum flaps welded in so I would have to cut up my nice looking system. A no go. But I also really wanted to take on one of these projects for my own good, to learn. This gives me a basis to do all kinds of other fun stuff as well in the future. What would have been easier is to run vacuum from the front to the back but I did not like citing into my stock hoses and messing with engine vacuum. But what fun is that?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Damn, that's some neat work you did there. Does the FI exhaust usually open the valves based on RPM? (was looking for this for a long time)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yes the controller from FI does it too. And also on throttle position and speed. Choose one. It has a wireless keychain remote to override, shut off and put it in auto mode. However it comes with a clumsy and ugly OBD connector. You will have to mount it in the foot well. And that is the issue. I kept kicking it despite my care. I even broke the box at some point. I guess I could have tried to relocate it but that is not easy in the M5.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Man, that is amazing, some mad scientist stuff lol, anyway I have RPI exhaust and it was too loud for my daily commute, so I bought the valves separately and welded them into the exhaust, and checked how Agency Power wired their system, but I didn't like the fact that they are using their vacuum source from the brake master cylinder, so I did more research and found the system that I will be attaching in the next post.

And excuse me for the messiness of the welder's workshop.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
So here is the system that I found that the e92 guys were using, they took the vacuum source from the engine bay like Jim stated, as shown in the pictures, I also attached the pdf installation guide for their cars which is 90% similar to our cars in the installation.

Seif

Attachments

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks!

There is a relation between IPE and FI exhaust. They are definitely the same welding resource, so it is essentially the same stuff. Somebody explained it to me the other day but I cannot remember al the details, so I won't try to regurgitate it. They seem to have a newer control system per their site. It now allows app control from your iPhone taser. BMW 60 M5 Valvetronic Exhaust System - Fi Exhaust. Clearly aimed at Lambos: look at the remote.

You solution seems to work on the (analog) pedal/throttle position. So, you would have to cut into your pedal wires. I am not a big fan of that either not knowing what is in that little black box. Albeit their are 2 throttle potentiometers for redundancy (exactly for the reason of losing one and keeping in control). But it seems to work for you. CAN in that regard is a bit more stealth to the rest of the car. Jim said I should commercialize my system, but I did a quick search a while back and found some "like" stuff in Germany, I believe. I might give it another look. Post me a reply if there is interest. I can do an app too, to using Bluetooth SSP. Ha! But Do I feel like doing that?

Your vacuum pickup is after the tank purge valve. This is essentially the same vacuum location as the brake booster, but further up the pipe so to speak. It is the intake vacuum that is generated and that vacuum is "trapped" in the cylinder. It works well if you do it that way, but like I said that was not enough of a challenge.

Truthfully, during the entire challenge the pipes were open the whole time and nobody seems to care. And I love listening to it. V10! Looking that E92 makes me want to get one of these too and turn it into a track car or something.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts