BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you reading this for the second time sorry, originally on BM3W, but I have to share it again!

A beautiful moment a couple of days ago. Coming into London via the A40, and I roll up next to a Silver Fezza 360 I had heard being ragged from the previous set of traffic lights. Only 200 miles on my clock but too good to ignore. Clear road ahead, engage M mode, P500 sport, all watching the lights. Fezza pulls off at excatly the same time . . . . the M5 edges ahead, I made mental note to change no later than 7500 rpm, oopps, no 5500 rpm this time. The Fezza can't keep up or the driver bottled it at c. 90mph, either way I have no doubt he was had. Beautiful, absolutely f##king beautiful. There is definately an extra edge in P500 sport over P500.

And then as if things couldn't get better, almost pulling into my office I am flagged down by a buisness card waving man blocking the car's path. It was Ashok, dishing out BM3W and M5Board cards to the worthy. Good on yer mate!

Oh how I love this car, apart from the fuel reserve light coming on at what is still showing 1/4 of a tank. By god, I hope the 12.9mpg on a run improves. I feel like a really naughty boy and I promise to keep the revs down mister to 5500 until the running in is done.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Thanks for the story. I'm not surprised though. The Z8 bested the 360 in a straight line in the magazine tests. However, it is still exciting to see how a sedan does against a sports car.

Im also not surprised on the fuel economy. I would not expect a big improvement if you drive it hard. I drive my M5 (E39) somewhat aggressively and I average about 10 mpg! Its all local driving.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Rocket M5 said:
haha the F430 cant beat the M5, how can the 360 can?
Actually the F430 does 0-100kph in 3.9.

It's quicker than the m5 all around.

The Modena is slower in straight performance though. But quicker around corners too.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
Thanks for the story. I'm not surprised though. The Z8 bested the 360 in a straight line in the magazine tests. However, it is still exciting to see how a sedan does against a sports car.

Im also not surprised on the fuel economy. I would not expect a big improvement if you drive it hard. I drive my M5 (E39) somewhat aggressively and I average about 10 mpg! Its all local driving.
Jerry,
Is this, in fact, true??
Was it just one mag. test or has this been a consistent result on different mags? I didn't think the Z8 had enough in her to thrash the 360

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I doubt the Z8 would "thrash" a 360- but I do think it can take the 360 in a straight line. Around a track, the 360 is more of a race machine. On the street I think the Z8 is more livable.

A little searching has found this:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=3290&page_number=1

The combination produces enough thrust to light up the rear tires at will, but there's still sufficient traction to rocket to 60 mph in 4.6 seconds and click the quarter-mile traps at 110 mph in 13 seconds flat. That's as quick as the Ferrari up to 60 mph -- and at higher speeds, the Z8 actually pulls ahead! The electronically governed 155-mph top speed comes up in a big hurry.

Csere pointed out that "the company isn't called the Bavarian Motor Works for nothing." The Z8's builder could also just as easily be called the Bavarian Clutch and Transmission Works, judging by how smoothly those two driveline components do their jobs. "Not that you need that many shifts," Winfield said. "It pulls from anywhere on the dial."
Car (UK) August 2001 said in a comparison: "With the Z8, simply hitch your star to its torque, where it trounces the Ferrari in both figures and road behaviour" "There are few better or more exhilarating practitioners of the brake/ turn in/ boot and go sequence than the Z8." They go on to say:
This [comparison] was, unapologetically, always going to be an examination of two very different approaches to the luxury roadster destination rather than a po-faced dissection of relative merits. We're going with the hearts on our sleeves and the seat of our pants, not fuel consumption calculators and residuals guides.

Accordingly, the Z8 will give you instant gratification, and advancing your levels of enjoyment takes scarcely more than a slight increase in concentration and some time. Because of the unabashed showmanship of the interior, and the whole, exuberant Rottweiler-off-the-leash spirit of the machine, you feel a bit like you're parents aren't home. You'll find yourself laughing out loud, from the exhilarating, flattering ease of it.

The Ferrari, though, is rather more serious about its performance. Quality aside, the interior is configured so nothing coloured or jewelled distracts you from the road.

The Z8 is fun right out of the box, but the 360 requires you to become more versed in, and yes, less intimidated by it, to extract the same. Crucially, though, beyond there it is capable of giving you more. And more. Ultimately, going fast in the Ferrari gives an equally intense but more full-body sense of involved- even consulted - achievement than the Z8

If a good drive is a kind of flight, then the BMW could be characterised as the raw, slightly immature elation of a skyrocket. The Ferrari is the successful launch of a scale-model space shuttle you've painstakingly built.
I cant say on the 360, but I can say on the Z8 it does make you want to laugh out loud. I've had grown men giggle in the car.

Heres some more fun reading:
http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0209_andretti/index.html

"Pure automotive dream" - I agree- I know its getting a little OT here but...
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=47564/pageNumber=1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts