BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to have some made, anyone interested in a gb?
No junk, only high quality cf/kevlar.
I want one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
What happened to the Strong Strut guys?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
I want one too.

The Strong-Strut guys need someone in the Phoenix region to stop by for a couple of hours. This way, they can take the necessary measurements to make one. They are quite experienced but unfortunately they cannot find a volunteer...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
I would be interested in the carbon fiber also.

I did what I could for the strong strut buy. In July I drove the 750 mile one way so my car could be used for a reference. I'll be going to Phoenix in February, maybe I'll drive instead of fly again.

Greg S.
Pepsmeister said:
I want one too.

The Strong-Strut guys need someone in the Phoenix region to stop by for a couple of hours. This way, they can take the necessary measurements to make one. They are quite experienced but unfortunately they cannot find a volunteer...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The strong-strutt guys did have some logistical problems. And big thanks to greg for taking his car to them. The Strong-strutt will get built though I don't know exactly when. We got bumped for a project that they could actually complete.
The main problem w/ Strong is the lack of a donor car in Phoenix Arizona. The reason I started this thread is because I talked to some LA tuners at the Auto Show who were selling nice cf bars for E46m3's. I asked them about making a cf bar for our cars and they said yes. Thus the feeler. These guys are here in LA so they could use my car for a prototype IF it happens. They'd need to build at least 10.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I'm very interested.

Dinan used to make one but discontinued it. Last time my car was at Dinan's Mountain View, Ca location I asked about making another run of the the CF bars for the E34, and I was told it would need to cover 20-pcs to cover tooling.

John
'93 ///M5
Sunnyvale, CA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Please count me in too, with the exchange rate at the momnet (USD:GBP) I think we should take advantage over this side of the pond!

I was hoping the strong strut guys might come out with a product for us....

I've had struct braces on all my performance cars, E30 M3 Convertible, 964 Speedster (the soft tops really benefit..) and have been trying to figure out how to get on for the M5 Touring... you may have solved the problem!

Strut braces, really do tighten up the handling and bring out the best in rear wheel drive cars, as the help the front wheels to what they should be doing best, steering and directing the car

Count me in please!

Sandeep
(M5 Touring '95 - daily driver)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
jector said:
I'm very interested.

Dinan used to make one but discontinued it. Last time my car was at Dinan's Mountain View, Ca location I asked about making another run of the the CF bars for the E34, and I was told it would need to cover 20-pcs to cover tooling.

John
'93 ///M5
Sunnyvale, CA
You did better than me, when I talked to them a ages ago they told me at least 50. They still have the tooling ,its just that Dinan has bigger fish to fry and if they can't sell a truck load, they're not going to build em. :3:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not a prob to get the cf bars to the UK. The outfit that will build them sells a lot of stuff across the pond. Looks like we have 6 or so guys interested so far. When we have enough interest I'll make the call and start working on details.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Do you have their website or link of E46 examples from the LA shop?

FYI, if the LA shop doesn't pan out, I'm willing to trek over to Dinan's headquarters and get an official response on what it would take for an official E34 run of Dinan strut braces. Not counting on it, but worth a shot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
I have a obligation to the strong strut guys. But if they are not going to come out with a bar (seems to be the case) then I would consider this if the price were about the same that strong strut was going to give.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jector said:
Do you have their website or link of E46 examples from the LA shop?

FYI, if the LA shop doesn't pan out, I'm willing to trek over to Dinan's headquarters and get an official response on what it would take for an official E34 run of Dinan strut braces. Not counting on it, but worth a shot.
DO IT!
I bet they would be 500bucks each.
It would be nice to have an official response.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WylM5 said:
I have a obligation to the strong strut guys. But if they are not going to come out with a bar (seems to be the case) then I would consider this if the price were about the same that strong strut was going to give.
Me too, but I don't know when or if it's going to happen.
The guys over there are very cool, but they have no car to make a prototype.
There is nothing I can do about that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
BURTON said:
What about a Racing Dynamics Strut Brace?

Crap. They´re not adjustable. A giant pain in the A*ss to install and remove.

I have one sitting in my garage.

By the way, I´m also interested in the strut bar. Count me in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
I stopped by the Dinan shop today. I was told that they used a sub-contractor to make the e34 strut tower braces. The contractor has gone out of business, so Dinan doesn't have the jigs to make more braces. For them to make more they would have to start all over and that would be very cost prohibitive. He said even if we found 50 people it would still be around $800 each.

On another note he told me they're looking at discontinuing all e34 suspension parts. They just don't sell enough to keep them in inventory.

Greg S.


mblaster said:
DO IT!
I bet they would be 500bucks each.
It would be nice to have an official response.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I got a similar response the other week; apologies for not posting earlier. Which shop/who did you speak with? I spoke with the GM of the Mountain View, CA location. $800 is too steep for me. The added benefit of Dinan's strut for me was aesthetics only, not worth it. I'll go with a Strong Strut if it ever comes out, a Sparco, or an RD.

Interesting comment on the possible Dinan E34 suspension obsolescence.

-John

Gerg said:
I stopped by the Dinan shop today. I was told that they used a sub-contractor to make the e34 strut tower braces. The contractor has gone out of business, so Dinan doesn't have the jigs to make more braces. For them to make more they would have to start all over and that would be very cost prohibitive. He said even if we found 50 people it would still be around $800 each.

On another note he told me they're looking at discontinuing all e34 suspension parts. They just don't sell enough to keep them in inventory.

Greg S.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top