BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am thinking about selling my car, and wanted to get an idea of what i could possibly get for it. Any comments/criticism is welcomed. I am a pretty active member of this forum and many of the mods and issues i had with this car are well documented on this site, ill link when i can.

Price: $38,000(this is based on KBB/NADA and the extra mods I have)

Car: 2003 BMW M5

Color: Carbon Black

Miles: Just shy of 67,000, this was a commuter so almost all freeway miles.

Warranty: I am the 2nd owner of this car. The warranty follows the car not the owner so there is no problem in transferring the still active warranties. This car still has 1 year of CPO left, expires April 09 or at 100k miles. This car still has one year of maintenance warranty left, expires April 09 or at 100k miles. The CPO is an excellent warranty and I have used it many times. The car got a new transmission on bmws tab September 07 because of an internal error in the transmission. I had a new clutch and a Dinan LTW Flywheel installed at the same time. My driver's side mirror wasnt folding up fast enough, the Mirror assembly is covered by the CPO and I am waiting for the mirror to arrive and get painted, again an expensive repair covered by CPO. Maintenance warranty is also great and covers clutches(assuming they havent been abused...i have been able to get a new clutch once already), brakes, wiper blades, oil changes, etc.

Options: Rear and Rear Side Sunshades, Cold weather Package(Heated seats, washing headlights, ski bag with fold down seats), everything like nav was standard on the 03 i believe, this car has the Mk4 DVD Nav, M-Audio.

Condition: The bumper and front of the hood are pitted and the hood has some scratches, the rest of the car though is in very good condition, interior and exterior. This car has the stock m5 wheels with a couple of spots on the wheels chipping paint, the tires have a lot of tread left on them(first time these wheels/tires are back on this car since i bought it).

Modifications: As you can see i have a couple of modifications but the only ones that will come with the car are as follows.

-Brand new transmission September 07(OEM BMW transmission)
-Dinan LTW Flywheel
-Rogue Transmission Mounts
-UUC Evo3 Short Shift Kit + DSSR
-BMW Original Double Glazed Windows(i can expand on this should anyone wonder)
-3M Medium Black tint all around
-Bimmian Matte Black Kidney Grills
-AngeliBrights V1, i still have the stock bulbs and those will come with the car also.
-BSW Stage 1 speaker upgrade, Rainbow speakers in front, I have the Rainbows for the rear but they havent been installed yet, they will also come with the car.

Notes: I took very good care of this car, have all the maintenance records and all service work was done by John Horgan at Riverside BMW, hes been taking care of my cars for almost 10 years now. A lot of the locals have seen this car in person like Laidback, Thaichi808, Robar, MCinco, and others, feel free to contact them about this car.

Here are some threads with pics of the car, please note the car no longer has the Volk Racing wheels on it. This car has always had a coat of wax or zaino on it and has always been garaged.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=107811
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63068
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=92418

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Oh no don't :eek:oohhh: :eek:oohhh:in any case this car, guys is in immaculate condition...PERIOD!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Carfax Report

This link will be active till 4/07/08

I also forgot to mention that this car has euro clear headlights, obvious from the pictures but wanted to make sure everyone knows. Also this car has LoJack Early Warning Recovery System which will alert you if the car is moved without the LoJack key-fob present in the vehicle. You will be notified by phone(4 or 5 phone numbers can be submitted), email or text. Feel free to make reasonable offers or criticize, thanks again.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any interior shots? What's the interior color?
Wow im dumb.

Interior: Black sport interior(not extended leather) with Brushed Aluminum Trim

Pictures coming...

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Interior Shots....Please keep in mind i just took these shots. I only wiped the dash down with a microfiber cloth for the photo. Its been almost a month since i last did a full detail the interior, so i apologize for any dust/dirt present. Its in good shape as its always garaged and the car has been tinted. The car is hardwired for a Valentine 1 radar detector, i will be removing my radar detector but will leave the splice in the headliner in tact for the next person who wants to use a V1.

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
Very nice car. Two observations:

1. The only way you would get more than the KBB in my opinion is to sell the car to someone who is a BMW enthusiast and sees value in the modifications. As you can see, the market is not the greatest at the moment. 95% of the population has no idea what 'modding' is, let alone a ltw flywheel. So you need to decide on your audience.

2. If you are choosing to try and sell it to an enthusiast, which I assume you are because you are posting here, you should also list the common ailments of the E39 M5 and what you have done about them. Basically things like the carbon build up issue, trailing arm bushings, MAF's, Vanos sensors, etc. The educated buyer that you are looking for will want to know if he/she will have to invest more money to fix these problems.

You have at least a couple of grand in the mods that you listed, plus the new transmission. So you should be able to get north of $40k for it, at least start there. Also, its interesting that you have not had to replace the clutch, may be something you want to address in your post.

Lastly, I would hit the other boards (if you have not done so already) like Bimmerforums, M3forum, X5world. Given the nature of this forum, it is the least likely place to find a buyer IMHO.

Kirk

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Very nice car. Two observations:

1. The only way you would get more than the KBB in my opinion is to sell the car to someone who is a BMW enthusiast and sees value in the modifications. As you can see, the market is not the greatest at the moment. 95% of the population has no idea what 'modding' is, let alone a ltw flywheel. So you need to decide on your audience.

2. If you are choosing to try and sell it to an enthusiast, which I assume you are because you are posting here, you should also list the common ailments of the E39 M5 and what you have done about them. Basically things like the carbon build up issue, trailing arm bushings, MAF's, Vanos sensors, etc. The educated buyer that you are looking for will want to know if he/she will have to invest more money to fix these problems.

You have at least a couple of grand in the mods that you listed, plus the new transmission. So you should be able to get north of $40k for it, at least start there. Also, its interesting that you have not had to replace the clutch, may be something you want to address in your post.

Lastly, I would hit the other boards (if you have not done so already) like Bimmerforums, M3forum, X5world. Given the nature of this forum, it is the least likely place to find a buyer IMHO.

Kirk

Thanks for the advice i appreciate it very much and will definitely take what you said into consideration. 40k eh? That is very good news, I will take that into consideration when I finally list it. I will also seek out other forums to post on. Thanks again for the advice Kirk.

In response to what you said:

-My car has not had any Carbon Build Up related issues as of yet, no lights of any kind either.

-Bushings on this car have yet to be replaced and imagine they would need to be replaced relatively soon. When i had my Volks(19x9.5F and 19x10.5R) on the car, a slight shimmy was present up front. This problem is no longer present with the stock wheels back on. I would say the wider and bigger wheels and tires i had were stressing the bushings more than the stock equipment, causing the shimmy. With that assessment I think new bushings would be a good idea for the purchaser of this car.

-I have had the dealers take a look at my MAFs and have also done the MAF test as per DavidS' write up. According to his write up my MAFs are functioning perfectly considering my altitude. FWIW this car chirps into third almost every time its driven hard.

-I have not had any Vanos problems and my car is very quiet in the way of the "Diesel" noise problematic Vanos units give off, i have had the chance to sit in cars with Vanos problems before, the noise is very pronounced. In addition, in California these units are covered for 7yrs or 70k miles, i realize this car is close to 70k.

-And as far as clutches go, I had a new one put in under my maintenance warranty some time early last year(07). When I had the transmission replaced in Sept. 07, I purchased another new clutch for the new Dinan LTW flywheel as per the advice of my SA and those on M5board, i sold the partially used clutch that was removed to another member.

-Lastly, I replaced the battery on this car 2 months ago, it was not holding charge anymore.

Thanks again for the suggestions and comments Kirk.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Cool. Sounds like a great car :) Good luck!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh no, Arjun...didn't expect you to sell. Regardless, best of luck with it.

I want double glazed window so bad...
Trust me, i thought long and hard before i decided i want to sell it. After med school starts this fall itll be ten years before i can enjoy driving again, i need something i can get less attached to. If it wasnt so much work and so much that could go wrong, i would try to find another home for my double glazed windows, its one of the true enthusiast mods and for me proved to be the most useful in sunny california. Im sure youll have a chance to check them out at least at our next meet.:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I usually try not to criticize folks' prices on the forum, but since you asked for feedback, I'll give it.

For the miles, the price is too high. Don't value the options too much, because most people won't give you much for them. Some might even subtract from the price because they don't like the options.

There are lower mileage cars out there for the upper thirties; natch you are in Kalifornia so prices do tend to run higher out there.

It's really a factor of how quickly you want to sell it. I've seen guys trying to sell cars who ask for the upper limit on price. Yes, they do seem to eventually sell the car (after dropping the price quite a bit) after 8 or 10 months. If you can't or won't wait that long, then be more aggressive on the pricing.

Best of luck,

Michael

Reactions: M5boy

·
Registered
427 Posts
Trust me, i thought long and hard before i decided i want to sell it. After med school starts this fall itll be ten years before i can enjoy driving again, i need something i can get less attached to. If it wasnt so much work and so much that could go wrong, i would try to find another home for my double glazed windows, its one of the true enthusiast mods and for me proved to be the most useful in sunny california. Im sure youll have a chance to check them out at least at our next meet.:M5thumbs:
Yeah, I can't wait :).

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found a potential buyer for 31k....tough market!!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, car is still available, PM me if interested...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Found a potential buyer for 31k....tough market!!
That it is. I had no interest whatsoever on my 2001 TiSi with 86,000K but excellent condition.

I'm trading for an Audi S4 Cabriolet. Got $18,500 on the trade. :sad1:

·
Registered
119 Posts
That it is. I had no interest whatsoever on my 2001 TiSi with 86,000K but excellent condition.

I'm trading for an Audi S4 Cabriolet. Got $18,500 on the trade. :sad1:
That's incredible. Sorry to hear it.
I've gone after 2 M5's originally at 40K and both buyers were firm on pricing. One being a dealer lowered the price by $100. The other, a private party, lowered the price by $2000. 1 month later, both cars are still for sale at the same $40k. :eek:oohhh:
private party 2003 M5 - 50k miles - $40k (no warranty)
dealer 2003 M5 - 22k miles - $40k (no warranty)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got a dealer trade in quote of 23k, which is a full 10k below kbb, im seriously going to start entertaining crazy offers. Just posted my car on autotrader at 33k. Its a pity because we spend a lot of time taking care of these cars and keeping them tip top, i would hate for all of that to be meaningless and worthless....

·
Registered
377 Posts
That's incredible. Sorry to hear it.
I've gone after 2 M5's originally at 40K and both buyers were firm on pricing. One being a dealer lowered the price by $100. The other, a private party, lowered the price by $2000. 1 month later, both cars are still for sale at the same $40k. :eek:oohhh:
private party 2003 M5 - 50k miles - $40k (no warranty)
dealer 2003 M5 - 22k miles - $40k (no warranty)
I think there are several issues. 1) Mine is a NE car so it's seen it's share of winter. Not so much in NJ (last few winters have been mild), but the car spent it's first 4 years in VT. A California car would command a couple $K premium. 2) I also have pretty high miles albeit mostly highway. My trip computer shows an average speed over the last 10K miles of 43.2 and my mileage is 20.4. 3) At $4.19 in NJ (probably lowest in the nation) and my mileage it's still $.20/mile. If you can afford these cars new you probably don't flinch, but if you are like me that's starting to hit the wallet.

I think, unfortunately, an enthusiast, who has maintained his car like some of the purists on this board, has a somewhat inflated view of the cars worth.

Edmunds pegged mine at $18.5 trade-in, $21.5 private sale and $23.5 Dealer. That was for clean, not outstanding. I would say an outstanding, 2001 California car with around 50K might be worth $25K. One additional comment. I have a golfing buddy who is a used car salesman. They all use the "Black book" and say KBB, NADA and Edmunds are all high.

FWIW!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts