BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm getting new tires (tyres?) and I'm looking for a new set of rims for my E39 M5... these new tires will be my "daily driver" option where I'll keep the older PS2's on my old rims for autocross and track events (and switch to those rims/tires when I do the event). I really like the looks of the M-parallel's on the M5, however I also want to stick with 18" rims so I think I'm stuck getting "replicas." I've already bought the tires (year-end sale; I got a set of new Michelin's for under $1K).

The best I rims seem to have found are here: Parallel - Machined - Factory Reproductions
The only other ones that match exactly are here: BMW E65 Staggered Wheels,Rims E65 BMW:Wheels E65 BMW

Both manufacturers show +13mm front and +25mm rear offset... Am I going to have any issues with this?

Can anyone either vouch for either of these companies and/or steer me to a better option? I am not in a hurry, so I'm willing to give this time and careful consideration before I commit.

Feel free to PM if you don't want to "endorse" anyone but I think in general this is a good discussion that more than I am probably interested in the answer to!

Thanks for any assistance or opinions that you may have... and happy new year, all!

-crds

·
4,395 Posts
the good thing about the replicas is that you can get them in
OE Style 65 sizes and offsets
where the Factory M-Parallels you can't and have to make due with smaller width or adapt the E38 ones to fit

the offsets seem to be those of the E38 don't know if they will fit

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/166617-bmw-factory-wheels-e39-m5.html

E39 M5 M-double spoke 65 chrome Shadow
Light alloy rim chromshadow8JX18 ET:20 36112228950
Light alloy rim chromshadow 91/2JX18 ET:22 36112228960

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I'd do the E38 M-pars with 10mm adapters or get them bored out. None of the reps look real and they're much heavier than the OEM ones.

Reactions: crds

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the m-par's on the e39 540 msport are 18in and iirc use the same tire sizes as the m5.
Unless I'm mistaken, the rear's aren't as wide...

36 11 2 229 635 Front 18x8
36 11 2 229 640 Rear 18x9

I need 18x9.5 for the rears...

And the e38's don't have the correct hub, so I will need adapters? What about the offsets if I add 10mm spacer/adapter plates?

Are these the correct ones for the E38?

36 11 2 227 631 Front 18x8
36 11 2 227 633 Rear 18x9.5

Thanks again for the replies...

-crds

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
And the e38's don't have the correct hub, so I will need adapters? What about the offsets if I add 10mm spacer/adapter plates?

Are these the correct ones for the E38?
36 11 2 227 631 Front 18x8 ET13
36 11 2 227 633 Rear 18x9.5 ET25

10mm adapter puts you into fairly aggressive territory in the front but shouldn't be an issue. Rear would have no problems. If you're concerned just get them bored out to 74.1CB. You can get the proper adapters from Acevedo Motorsports.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
36 11 2 227 631 Front 18x8 ET13
36 11 2 227 633 Rear 18x9.5 ET25

10mm adapter puts you into fairly aggressive territory in the front but shouldn't be an issue. Rear would have no problems. If you're concerned just get them bored out to 74.1CB. You can get the proper adapters from Acevedo Motorsports.
I did not notice anything but spacers on Acevedo's website - do they have a part number or name for the adapters?

Thanks,

crds

·
Registered
227 Posts
The 18 x 8 inch replicas I got for snow tires this winter weighed 26 lbs, so they are a little on the heavy side. We will have to see how they hold up to their first winter of salt and snow in New England. FWIW, the finish on them is excellent.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
IIRC The Mpars that came on the later E34M5s where lighter weight versions of those on the 7 series.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 18 x 8 inch replicas I got for snow tires this winter weighed 26 lbs, so they are a little on the heavy side. We will have to see how they hold up to their first winter of salt and snow in New England. FWIW, the finish on them is excellent.
Whose did you choose? Any issues with roundness or balance?

Thanks!
crds

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So here's what I'm thinking so far... The offsets for a 2003 M5 are 22mm front and 20mm rear. If I use E38 m-par's they have a 13mm offset on the front and 25mm on the rear, but I will need at least 10mmm spacers. The issue will be the front's with the 10mm spacers will only be 3mm offset; too close for comfort. But perhaps if I choose E39 m-par's 18x8 fronts from the 540i M-sport, then I can use E38 18x9.5 m-par's on the rear with the 25mm offset less the 10mm for the spacer still leaving me at 15mm offset (only 5mm off spec, so that should be fine - a slightly wider stance but that's all). So ultimately I can put 18x8" on the front and 18x9.5" on the rear, as desired, if I go this way. Will the 540i M-sport m-par's match the E38 m-par's? If I'm correct, I need just 2 spacers and lug nuts to go with 'em for the rear wheels, and the front's will fit. Will this look right, and will it work, or am I hopelessly confused?

-crds

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So here's what I'm thinking so far... The offsets for a 2003 M5 are 22mm front and 20mm rear. If I use E38 m-par's they have a 13mm offset on the front and 25mm on the rear, but I will need at least 10mmm spacers. The issue will be the front's with the 10mm spacers will only be 3mm offset; too close for comfort. But perhaps if I choose E39 m-par's 18x8 fronts from the 540i M-sport, then I can use E38 18x9.5 m-par's on the rear with the 25mm offset less the 10mm for the spacer still leaving me at 15mm offset (only 5mm off spec, so that should be fine - a slightly wider stance but that's all). So ultimately I can put 18x8" on the front and 18x9.5" on the rear, as desired, if I go this way. Will the 540i M-sport m-par's match the E38 m-par's? If I'm correct, I need just 2 spacers and lug nuts to go with 'em for the rear wheels, and the front's will fit. Will this look right, and will it work, or am I hopelessly confused?

-crds
Can anyone confirm? Do I have the offsets for the M5 backward? Is it supposed to be ET20 front, ET22 rear? Even so, I think the concern on the spacer for the front, starting at ET13 and then adding 10mm leaving me only 3mm offset (17mm wider than stock) is likely an issue.

Thanks,
crds

·
4,395 Posts
Can anyone confirm? Do I have the offsets for the M5 backward? Is it supposed to be ET20 front, ET22 rear? Even so, I think the concern on the spacer for the front, starting at ET13 and then adding 10mm leaving me only 3mm offset (17mm wider than stock) is likely an issue.

Thanks,
crds
RealOEM.com Online BMW Parts Catalog

RealOEM.com Diagram Selection

RealOEM.com BMW E39 M5 M double spoke 65 chrome Shadow

FRONT Light alloy rim chromshadow 8JX18 ET:20 36112228950
REAR Light alloy rim chromshadow 91/2JX18 ET:22 36112228960

FRONT ET20
REAR ET22

but that's for style 65 only - all others are up in the air and you have to figure out the space difference on thinner wheels with similar or more offset - meaning ET22 on a 9" wide wheel is different than ET22 on the 9.5" wide wheel

·
Registered
227 Posts
Whose did you choose? Any issues with roundness or balance?

Thanks!
crds
Factory Reproductions. No issues with roundness and balance up to 90mph. Again, these were for a set of snows. I owned a 740i sport with the original M-parallel's on it. The reproductions do not have as deep a dish in the front as those OEM wheels did. I can not comment on the back, as these are all the same size, but I would expect the same "fault". If you are looking for perfect copies, I would look elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I got these from Lakeshore a long time ago

18x8/18x9.5

Both front and rear have deep dish just like the ones found on E38 7 series.

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got these from Lakeshore a long time ago

18x8/18x9.5

Both front and rear have deep dish just like the ones found on E38 7 series.

Regardz,

J Irwan
Thanks... quick questions:

Were you happy with the quality and the finish, and did they balanced well and run true (straight, no wobble)? Hubs are 72.56mm not 74.1mm I presume, so I would need spacers?

Thanks,
crds

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Thanks... quick questions:

Were you happy with the quality and the finish, and did they balanced well and run true (straight, no wobble)? Hubs are 72.56mm not 74.1mm I presume, so I would need spacers?

Thanks,
crds

I am happy with the quality, except the clear coat seems to be too thin.
It balanced fine and spun true.

And it is for E39 hub, and not spacer. IIRC the offset is similar if not the same as OEM (I coudn't remember the exact offset).

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I am happy with the quality, except the clear coat seems to be too thin.
It balanced fine and spun true.

And it is for E39 hub, and not spacer. IIRC the offset is similar if not the same as OEM (I coudn't remember the exact offset).

Regardz,

J Irwan
Thanks, so just to confirm... These guys mount straight on the E39M5 without any spacers, rings, etc?
Wheels E39 BMW,Rims E39 BMW:Wheels E39 BMW

1 - 20 of 21 Posts