BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After the meet with Jidex I feel the need for more power. After racing that GT2 and going along side that GT40 TT it was a fun experience. Does any one know if this car can get turbo charged; and if so which system would you recommend. Thanks!:M5rev:​

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Forced-induction for this badboy has been discussed a few times and I think the general consensus (at least for now) is that it would be extraordinarily difficult to do and if anyone has actually done it, no one is posting any numbers.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
If you can figure out where a turbocharger can fit, shoot an e-mail to Dinan, et al.

For now, the biggest bang (not necessarily for the buck) is the upcoming Dinan naturally aspirated crate engine that is reported to produce 600 hp but will set you back $40,000.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There is one Ive seen currently being done here in Los Angeles. It is using rear mounted turbos, right before the mufflers. Im sure tuning is going to be a major PITA.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Doesn't our beasts run on pretty high compression increasing the risk of destroying the engine? If it happens, our engine / transmission is not cheap. I would say, just sell the M5 and buy a GT2. I looked into it last year and they were going from $120k-$160k.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
fastjack said:
Doesn't our beasts run on pretty high compression increasing the risk of destroying the engine? If it happens, our engine / transmission is not cheap. I would say, just sell the M5 and buy a GT2. I looked into it last year and they were going from $120k-$160k.
THat's my understanding, too - the compression is too high for forced ind.

·
Registered
336 Posts
For what this would cost just go buy another car.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Nice one Noble. Now my coworkers know I am not working! 40K for a crate motor. Two please, hold the mayo.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
avry8542 said:
After the meet with Jidex I feel the need for more power. After racing that GT2 and going along side that GT40 TT it was a fun experience. Does any one know if this car can get turbo charged; and if so which system would you recommend. Thanks!:M5rev:​
Your money of course.....for the same money, buy a Z06 Corvette..... It will be almost impossible to match the Z06 performance even if you pump in crazy horsepower.... Weight.... The M has to lose 800-900 pounds to be even close then it really isn't an M car anymore.

Stuff the badboy V10 in a E30 M3 and tub out the rear for wider tires....this will spank the Z06.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
You will need lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...

Want to go fast ????Cheap???????? Buy a ZO6

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
+1. There's a video out there somewhere of an e60 M5 w/ a nitrous set up running solid 11's in the quarter (I just did a YouTube search but couldn't find it). That would have you running with a stock C6 Z06.

Dave

·
Registered
532 Posts
avry8542 said:
dude, get a life, if it bothers you get a faster dedicated sports car or save your money and donate your $20K TO A FAVORITE CHARITY instead of trying to violate the laws of physics...cherrsagai

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
catdog said:
dude, get a life, if it bothers you get a faster dedicated sports car or save your money and donate your $20K TO A FAVORITE CHARITY instead of trying to violate the laws of physics...cherrsagai

If you really want to blow $20K to make the M5 faster.... Buy a long rope (connect it to your car) and some sort of force multiplier mechanism.

Hire 4,000 snotty teenagers and get them to pull you for the "Turbo" boost. at $5 for 11 seconds of work, you will smoke the crap out of the GT40 and the Z06 and still have a reliable car.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts