BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else on the board who thinks the dash instrument cluster is placed too high for taller men? I'm only 6', but I have to move the steering wheel all the way up and the seat all the way down so that I can see the tach completely. Feel like I'm driving with my hands over my head. Just me??

·
Registered
376 Posts
Re: 6 Footers can't see the Tach!!

paulbondy said:
Anyone else on the board who thinks the dash instrument cluster is placed too high for taller men? I'm only 6', but I have to move the steering wheel all the way up and the seat all the way down so that I can see the tach completely. Feel like I'm driving with my hands over my head. Just me??
I am with you paulbondy...

I am six foot, six inches tall...get a Eurodash...adds a great amount of knee room...and a set of headers...then you do not need to worry about the tach...you can shortshift below 3000 rpm and hear the engine above 5000 rpm...you do not need to see the top of the tach... :M5rev: :cheers:

Mark

·
Registered
3,006 Posts

Im 6-3 and I drive with the steering wheel up and the seat down cuz i like it that way, I never noticed a problem at all.

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts

same here, 6'2", missing a little bit of tach view, and have some trouble seeing the display at the bottom of the cluster (on my 00, different steering wheel). The eurodash does add some nice knee room. Really handy if you have some friends in the back, and want to be nice to them and move your seat up a bit.
Mike

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

mottati said:
same here, 6'2", missing a little bit of tach view, and have some trouble seeing the display at the bottom of the cluster
The cluster position was designed for the standard steering wheel, not the smaller-diameter M wheel.

At 6'1" I like to keep my seat high enough to get my head about 1" from the headliner, I lose a little bit at the top of the speedo and tach. Not a big deal, I'm used to it, it's no worse than a lot of other cars I've driven.

·
Registered
142 Posts

hah, I'm 5'8", but my problem is I like my steering wheel low, so then I loose the tops of the cluster!! I wish it was like my Infiniti FX, the whole cluster moves with the steering wheel.

JEM said:
The cluster position was designed for the standard steering wheel, not the smaller-diameter M wheel.

At 6'1" I like to keep my seat high enough to get my head about 1" from the headliner, I lose a little bit at the top of the speedo and tach. Not a big deal, I'm used to it, it's no worse than a lot of other cars I've driven.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts

I agree with the problem, even though I am 5' 10". It is still tough to see the top of the gauges unless I have the wheel all the way up, and a bit further away than I prefer.

·
Registered
240 Posts

I'm 6'3"" and usually have the seat all the way down, but have no trouble. I do have more of an issue with my wife's '01 740i Sport, which has an '00 vintage wheel, which is larger than the '01 M5's.

Eric

·
Registered
2,099 Posts

I'm 6'0'' and have only the top 1/4'' blocked. An '01 or newer wheel is better than the 2000 (or early 540i sport models). The further the wheel is from the dash, the better. You should be able to adjust it to see most of the tach and the MID but those that like a real low wheel are out of luck to see all of the tach.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts

I didnt have a problem with my E39, and I am 6'2'', but that also was a 528. I didnt really notice a problem at all with the M5, but I have a kinda unusual seating position. I sit close and upright; I cant lounge when driving a car.
The worst one ever in my experiance was the E28. No matter what I did I would always have the top of the steering wheel in view of the tach. That was also the old style that pushed in and pulled out, and you got your height and distance adjustment in one swoop.
:cheers:

·
Registered
837 Posts

I agree, I am only 5'11 but I cant see the top of the tach ie the yellow and red, when I have the steering wheel in a comfortable position for myself, Josh

·
Registered
312 Posts

paulbondy said:
I read this and got an image of someone with ape-hangers on a motorcycle. . . now, if I could just get the song lyrics from "Born to be Wild" out of my head. . .

·
Registered
4,419 Posts

bmwusa said:
I agree, I am only 5'11 but I cant see the top of the tach ie the yellow and red, when I have the steering wheel in a comfortable position for myself, Josh
Agreed, 5'11 and wheel all the way up and have to dip my head to see it all.

I have plenty of leg room though. (Maybe we have the euro?) Its just I can't see the top of the cluster without peering under the wheel. :3:

·
Registered
931 Posts

I am 5' 10" and I like to have seat height set so there is one hands width between the top of my head and the headliner. The steering wheel is as low as it will go. My wrists just rest on the steering wheel at the 11:00 and 1:00 position. This was the recomended process as put forth by the instructors at BMW Driving Experience (M5 owners). Of course I don't see most of the gauges, especially the speedo and tach. but that's ok as I can tell by the sound of the engine and the gear I am in as to what is going on. :M5rev: :M5launch: :hihi:

·
Registered
754 Posts

I'm 6'-1" and after of 1/3 years of owning the Beast I still haven't found a comfortable seating position so I can see the complete tach or speedo. A really frustrating problem!
I wish I could retro fit a heads up display.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Well I was going to ask this question but discovered the thread, which confirms the inability to find a lower steering wheel position that allows decent visibility of the tach and speedo. Also, left foot rubs something at tip of the shoe unless I move my foot down to depress the clutch. Haven't bothered to see what that is yet. Maybe it's part of US dash.

Are the BMW engineers all short?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Same, I am 6'1. I guess i have just gotten use to it by now.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
You guys have to get more of a gangsta lean going on thats all ;)

That thing under the dash is the underpart of the dash which keeps you from seeing under the dash (wiring and what not).

·
Registered
139 Posts
I wish the drivers seat went down a little lower that would solve the problem. I can never see the light turn green when im stopped in front of it I have to tilt my head sideways up to the windshield to see it.
Will

1 - 20 of 40 Posts