BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love the Kreis-Sieg but after long consideration I talked myself out of it because I just couldn't justify spending that much on an exhaust. I did tell myself that it was like buying 2 systems (quiet and loud).But still it was 7 000 plus install. I have narrowed down my choices to a couple and would appreciate any input from you guys. As much as I would love to have the eisenmann it is going to be too loud for a daily driver (at least for me and thats why I loved the Kreissieg system, the valves.) I prefer the high pitch noise but I will be ok with the other choices as well if they are really cool. So below are my choices. Just so you know, I will be sending my car over to Turkey in April or May and this will void my warranty with BMW. I will only have 6 months of main warranty on the engine and other main parts left.

Dinan exhaust - supposedly is a deeper tone but a really cool deeper tone. and I keep my warranty which might be irrelevant in this case. And according to them I should be getting 9hp out of it.

Tubi exhaust - they should come out with the M5 exhaust anytime. I only heard it on the M6 that was posted on the board with the SS headers. It sounded like it was getting ripped apart as it was accelarating but that might be due to the headers. So I don't know how tubi sounds as just mufflers alone. But they did have a great system for the E39 so I'm not sure. I don't know if there will be any gains from it. I somehow doubt it.

Active Autowerke exhaust - When I was overseas I left my car with them for three weeks and they tried their prototype on mine. They did a cat-back system. And they dynoed my car with it. They claim getting 13hp with their system. And the sound of it is supposedly like a F1 car. Not too deep and not too high pitched. (which IMO means not like a F1 car) It really wakes up after 5000rpm. But is not as loud as the eisenmann. Their product will go into production in January. Edit: Ther is no droning inside the cabin.

This is pretty much what I came down to. Also to remember, if I get the Dinan or Tubi and I don't think is loud enough, I can always get an x-pipe. Please give me your opinions. Thank you.

'Erol

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
The x-pipe will certainly make it louder, although after hearing it several times on DinodealM5's car, I think it's more 'raspy' more so than just loud.
His AlpineWhite vs. Glowrider's IB with just the Race cans.

I'm generally a subdued kinda guy and don't usually like attracting attention to myself, but the Race mufflers sound so good that I'm willing to forego a bit of anonymity. When I originally put them on, within 5 minutes I was convinced I was going to put the stocks back on in few days. Well, I've had them for a several weeks and I've become accustomed to it and it sounds better and better. The only time I'm a bit sheepish about the sound is pulling out of the parking lot at work:), but otherwise the sound is just intoxicating.

If you're dead set against those, how about the Sport version?

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
EBuyuk said:
Do we have a vieo of the sport version? I don't think I heard those.
Only one I know of is this one. He has the Sec 2, so you can imagine it will be quieter. Not the best clip since it doesn't give you a true sense of the sound, but again, the only one I found when I was deciding on an exhaust.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
NobleM400 said:
Whatever you choose, don't settle for one that drones. A droning exhaust, regardless of rpm band, simply does not match the character of an M5.
I agree with you. Apparently the AA doesn't drone. Can we assume that tubi and dinan won't?

This is why the AA has been so attrractive to me. Its not too loud nor too quiet and it gives you 13 hp.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I dont think that you should chose an exhaust based on performance figures. The most noticable difference is going to come with sound (you should assume Go with which ever one catches your ear the most, and because of that you should wait to hear the others before making a decision.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Conspicuously missing from your list is SuperSprint. The SS Race without x-pipe (my setup) is, I think, a great solution for someone who wants a more aggressive sound but is concerned about every day usability. It has a lower tone than the Eisenmann, but does give the higher pitched (but lower volume) sound at higher rpms.

I would not make any decision based on added HP claims. AA's claim makes me suspect about AA. In any case, a 13 hp increase, even if it were true, is only a 2.6% increase at the max power point, which you will never feel. And if AA's claim is true, then the other exhausts will provide a similar bump, since I doubt that AA has uncovered exhaust secrets that have somehow eluded the other manufacturers.

Having heard JCrist's E39 Tubi, I can confirm that it has a great sound. However, due to the very different characteristics of the E60 engine, it is difficult to extrapolate.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From the videos I have seen and heard. The SS Race without the x-pipe is not that much louder. Maybe with the x-pipe it will be a little louder to my taste but certainly no eisenmann level. The reason I did not have SS on my list is that I am afraid of the tone being too deep. From what I understand the tone of Dinan and AA is not as deep as the SS, and since I like it a little higher pitched I didn't put it in my list. Please do tell me if I am wrong as I have not heard the SS in real life.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
EBuyuk said:
From the videos I have seen and heard. The SS Race without the x-pipe is not that much louder. Maybe with the x-pipe it will be a little louder to my taste but certainly no eisenmann level. The reason I did not have SS on my list is that I am afraid of the tone being too deep. From what I understand the tone of Dinan and AA is not as deep as the SS, and since I like it a little higher pitched I didn't put it in my list. Please do tell me if I am wrong as I have not heard the SS in real life.
Here is a video (courtesy of rodman31) of several drive-bys of my car: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5875241596886111659

Here is a video of the idle and some inside: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2632281289300552069

Sound levels are subjective, but it is significantly louder than stock. A full discussion is here: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80291&highlight=Supersprint (including a specific discussion of where the differences from stock are most pronounced) and some more here: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80544&highlight=Supersprint.

The x-pipe adds noticeably more volume (I have heard it), but definitely still less noise than Eisenmann. I can't compare it with the Dinan because no one has heard it yet, but if it is supposed to be a deeper sound than stock, I would be surprised if it is significanly higher pitched than the SS.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
EBuyuk said:
Do the Eisenmann Race. I'm quite pleased with it. And my 3 YO daughter doesn't even seem phased by it, so it's not that loud.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Go with the Eisenmann Sport or Race you will be very happy :blink: My wife loves the sound of the beast now.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
MRichmond said:
The x-pipe adds noticeably more volume (I have heard it), but definitely still less noise than Eisenmann. I can't compare it with the Dinan because no one has heard it yet, but if it is supposed to be a deeper sound than stock, I would be surprised if it is significanly higher pitched than the SS.
I can confirm that my SS X-Pipe & SS Race Mufflers is noticeably more volume than just SS Race Mufflers. But not drasticly so. And is definitely less volume than Eisenmann Race Mufflers with and without X-Pipe.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got into a Ferrari F430 today started it and revved it. I was going crazy for the exhaust note. It was so nice. Are any of the exhaust out there closer to that sound?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts