BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want an exhaust that has some beef to it, won't droan at cruising speeds, be it local (45-55mph) or highway speed. I don't want it to be so loud that it's annoying.

I'm trying to maximize my purchase, which means I'm really not into spending $1700 for mufflers alone, when I can get the mid-sections+muffler in other brands for the same price. So the list I've put together seems to be:

Eisenmann - I'm worried (when added with x-pipe) might be a little too loud, and annoy me on those morning work commutes, since people comment at how loud the Kelleners+X-pipe is. I found this for 1250 brand new, which is why it's on the list.

Borla - I only found 1 decent Borla clip, and it sounded good. Borla doesn't seem to be too popular. The tip inside a tip is kind of an odd look as well. Can't beat the price however.

B&B - Has a good price, and gets good reviews. I've read comments here and there about it being HORRIBLE with droan if you add an x-pipe. Is that true?

Britlman - New kid on the block.. Quality looks great, sounds seems pretty nice, but with only 1 set of clips and owner comments, can't get good feedback

Tubi - I'm not exactly sure how I feel about the more exotic, higher pitched type sound, when compared to the the more throaty other exhaust. In the high speed drive-by clip, it sounds very Ferrari'ish, which is really sweet. How does it sound in regular driving situations? The rolled inward tips is kinda ehhhh as well.

For those that have have heard all of these, what is your feedback? Do any of them run into the area of things I don't want (Rasp, cruising droan, being way to loud for most peoples taste)?

Everyone seems to chant Tubi anywhere you go. Do you guys who chant, were you Tubi fans to begin with? Were you sold when you heard it in person on someone elses car? Did you just take a chance and fall in love? Why is it so popular?

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
Re: Would like feedback from those who have sampled these exhausts

I've had supersprint (mufflers and x pipe) and dinan (mufflers, stock resonators) on my car. I originally got the supersprints because evosport was having an end of the year sale, the price was good, and like you mention, it 'seemed' like a better deal to get an entire cat back exhaust for the price of a set of dinan mufflers. If all were the same, price wise, i'd have gone with dinan from the beginning based on my past experience with them. The supersprints were ok. Good quality, fit and finish. The 90mm tips looked good, but honestly were a little over the top for me. The sound was deep, but reminded me of glasspacks from my muscle car days. Not a bad sound, but not what i really wanted. I lived with them for a year and a half or so. After adding heades, they got a bit louder, and i felt a bit too loud for my taste.

Just so happens, i found a set of dinan mufflers on ebay for $1k and put those with the stock resonators in. I'm much happier with the sound, and if anything, throttle response seems a little crisper, but that may be placebo.

I'd thought about the tubi, but was never thrilled with the look, and the rumore (imho) sounded too much like the supersprints i had wanted to replace. I've heard the kellners with the stock resonators and thought the sound was quite good, without being too loud (but quite loud with an x pipe).
The dinan and kellners is the look i like, stock looking pipes, just a bit larger in diameter. You need to try to find some locals with the systems and go for rides, that helped me.
Mike

·
Registered
5,353 Posts

You double posted, so here's the link to my reply on the other thread. To that I'll add that while I agree on the tip design looking better on some of the other exhausts, the Tubis are fine quality, and will set your car apart from the others, which all have a single, thin-walled design.

·
Registered
837 Posts

If your ever in Jaxs you could hear my Kelleners with xpipe in person, they are loud but I personally love them, Josh

·
Registered
327 Posts

I have the Tubi Rumore Plus, I love it...

Before making a decision on which exhaust to get I visited a fellow board member at Easter this year, (Thanks Was), to listen to his Tubi Rumore,(not sure if his is a PLUS version), and loved it straight away and have NOT found another one that comes close in sound quality IMO. The sound at tickover is a nice gentle rumble,as the revs rise the sound gets stronger and when revs reach the high end you get the exotic rasp of a Fezza.
The build quality of the cans and pipes is excellent and would highly recommend having a Tubi exhaust system fitted.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

HDClown said:
I want an exhaust that has some beef to it, won't droan at cruising speeds, be it local (45-55mph) or highway speed. I don't want it to be so loud that it's annoying.

I'm trying to maximize my purchase, which means I'm really not into spending $1700 for mufflers alone, when I can get the mid-sections+muffler in other brands for the same price. So the list I've put together seems to be:

Eisenmann - .

Borla - .

B&B -

Britlman -
Tubi -

For those that have have heard all of these, what is your feedback? Do any of them run into the area of things I don't want (Rasp, cruising droan, being way to loud for most peoples taste)?

Everyone seems to chant Tubi anywhere you go. Do you guys who chant, were you Tubi fans to begin with? Were you sold when you heard it in person on someone elses car? Did you just take a chance and fall in love? Why is it so popular?
I will be in ORL in mid October. Send me a PM if you want to hear my exhaust, SS headers, stock H pipe and Hamann cans. I find it excellent, relatively quiet, with a nice growl as revs increase. No droning.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
266 Posts

HDclown, the Tubis are probably the best build quality but very costly...,
very quiet! ,NO drone at all even with headers. I still don't hear the Ferrari sound that they make????? High pitched,exotic ???And they are broken in.
Also the Tubi tips internal dia. since thay are the rolled look seem to be quite smaller than all the others. I never had stock mufflers on the car but the sound is what I'd imagine a car like the m5 to have stock.
As for you muffler search I think any ,kelleners,s/s,B&B,ect with be very liveable if you keep your stock resonators.
Are you going to do a xpipe later?
My vote would be for B&B, they seem to get over looked. IMO

·
Registered
143 Posts

The M5 I just purchased had the Hamann cans on them and the sound is good but not deep or throaty enough at idle or low speeds for me. I put the eisenmann " race" exhaust on my Z8 and love it. It's a great post as I'm considering a change myself so I'll be watching and listening. Jonny

·
Registered
156 Posts

IMHO, the sound should be fitting of the ride in general. The E39 demands a more refined sound... My choice was the Tubi. Above 5500 RPM the tubi sings. You will not hear this on a static test. But then again I love the alarm sounding tone of the B&B for my E23 745i!

WRT form/fit/chraftsmanship. No comparison to the tubi for the E39.

In all honesty, it looks like I will add the SS headers to the tubi this winter! Did I just nullify my initial statement?

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
5,353 Posts

You will not hear this on a static test.
All very true. You have to experience the sound by revving it out in gear. The load alters the ignition timing and the sound. You can't get the same sound by free revving it. The sound is so intoxicating you'll want to keep doing it again and again. Just don't get a ticket! :M5launch:

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

I may have a decent chunk of cash coming my way, and if that pans out, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and try the regular Tubi (not the Rumore). I saw some recent pics on another members car that gave me a more favorable opinion on the tips, and a possible influx of spending cash will make it easier on the price shock.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts

I bought my car with the Tubi Rumore already on it and I wouldn't change it for all the tea in china. It's very deep & bassy at town speeds and regularly sets off car alarms :7: especially in multi story car parks. When you take it out on the open road though it really sings. People say it's very Ferrari like, but IMO it's more of a hybrid - a cross between Ferrari rasp and Nascar roar.

It isn't intrusive in the cabin (with everything closed at least!) but I did my own video clip the other day on the Northumberland moors. The wife accidentally left the camera rolling and you can still here my car when I'm over a mile away. :M5launch: Also, my brother was following me on the motorway this weekend just gone and could hear me overtaking long after he'd lost sight of the car. It's one serious piece of kit and apart from all this, it's also a testament to how incredibly well built and insulated the E39 is!

I've even had people pull up next to me in traffic and ask what exhaust system I've got. This is one special sounding thing!

On top of all that, they look amazing polished up and really stand out from the crowd. lovelove

·
Registered
463 Posts

My car had the B&B when I purchased it. To my ear, they were too loud at low rpm and they droned excessively (resonating thru the cabin) at around 1700-1900 rpm. Embarassingly loud inside parking garages. However, they did sound nice at WOT when you really wanted to hear them. Build quality seemed mediocre. If you want loud, muscle car sound at a low price point, then they are a good option.

I replaced the B&B with the standard Tubi. Note, the sound on the Tubi changes significantly over time. At first, they sounded very muffled and quiet. Once they are well broken in, they have a nice, authoritative rumble at low to moderate rpm, but without any drone or resonance. They also sound great at WOT. Yes, they do have less volume and a higher note than the B&B. They still rip, trust me. The key is to get some miles on them. The build quality is beyond first-rate.

The rolled tips were neither a big +/- for me. Because the inside of the tips get sooty, I guess you could get yourself into a quandry over whether to try to keep them clean. In terms of size and look, I think they fit nicely with the style of the car. They don't scream, "AFTERMARKET EXHAUST." I prefer it that way. The cans are still shiny, and are somewhat visable thru and below the valance, so you can kinda tell there is something going on there if you are paying attention.

Tubi is popular, I think, because they sound great, and somewhat unique, without ever sounding too loud or obnoxious. All the good, none of the bad. It compliments the M5 nicely. Plus, they have a high bling factor. Certaintly doesn't hurt to be an aftermarket supplier for Ferrari.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Personnally I have gone for the Supersprint 90 mm rolled tips. Its not exactly what I was looking for in the begining but all the others that are available and leagel here in Switzerland are completely over the top in price. The cheapest I found (not regarding the REMUS, which no one seems to like) was at least 800 $ more for me. As here no one has american muscle cars that sound will be quite unique and quite to my taste, it being a muscle car and all. They look extravagant but then again it is an M5 so it should be fun. :1:

They are being mounted next week

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I have yet to find anyone who has the E39 M5 Borla exhaust put on. They are easy to install, Price is right, build quality is solid.

But the sound. I don't know how they do with that particular component.

I had one on my old Mazda V6'd Ford Probe..and it's not out of place on that car. But...."That Borla Sound"..as they so nicely put it.

On a M5..in might be a bit out of place. Kinda 'blatty', kinda rice..but maybe the M5's big V8 changes it to a lower rumble.

On the Probe, I could hear it echoing off of distant buldings... that would make me cringe if I had that on the M5. It's low profile, so that when I roll by a cop doing 'bad things' :angel:, I still go in there..under his notice, or radar. :)kaffe: Sleep..Mr. Officer..sleep....zzzzz)

I'm not here to be a teenager's wet dream..I'm here to make the car right for me. I personally don't mind the sound of the stock exhaust at all, I'm strictly looking for a PERFORMANCE upgrade..that will be an effective upgrade when I do the headers.

Any comments?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I originally went with the regular Tubi and after a rare crack developed around one of the tips, the US reps for Tubi asked if I still wanted the regular rear section that was being replaced or would I like the rear section to be replaced with the Rumore (otherwise, same middle section for both). I love the quality (even with a rare occurance of a cracked tip) and the look, but after hearing another local's Dinan as well as another's Eisenmann, I began to have second thoughts.
I now have the Rumore with about 3k on them and like them quite a bit more than the standard Tubi, but I cannot get past the impressions the Eisenmanns made on me. For me, I track the car about 5 times/year, love the roar, but appreciate the refinement since I have clients in my car from time to time or even my two kids.
The Rumore is brilliant sounding at first start and then mellows until the car is truly warmed up and then sounds brilliant again. Yes, a bit higher and more exotic and less muscle car sounding than say, the Eisenmann, but nice nonetheless.
So, even as much as I like it, I'm considering a post here to see if anyone cares to trade for the Eisenmann's. Call me crazy, just looking for a bit more rumble. Sometimes, it's hard to get past those first impressions. Otherwise, try and listen first hand to as many different options on an M5 before you buy or you may end up like me: liking what I have, but longing for something else.
TripleD

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I was being followed by one of my friends this past Friday and he said that it was a pleasure listening to the Tubis (regular version). My one complaint is that I can't really hear it myself unless the windows are down, but it's the tone that I had been searching for...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Anzir said:
I was being followed by one of my friends this past Friday and he said that it was a pleasure listening to the Tubis (regular version). My one complaint is that I can't really hear it myself unless the windows are down, but it's the tone that I had been searching for...
I am going to order Tubis this week. I was going to order them last week too :confused:, Its just killing me that I can't decide between the regular and the rumore :1zhelp:. I want it to sound like it has a nice aftermarket exotic exhaust, thats why we buy them right? I'm also ordering SS Headers, thats for the power. I have listened to all the clips, dozens of times, I like the regular exotic sound but I'm afraid its too quite, then again, I'm afraid the Rumore is too loud and less exotic.

To those that have either, how did you decide and are you satisfied?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts