BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on E39 M5 short shifter kits. Dinan has just recently released its E39 M5 short-shift kit for $159, one of the lowest priced short-shift kits I've seen. However, Dinan's claim of a %17 shorter shift seems a bit low to me compared to other brands claiming as much as a %28 shorter shift. I would like to stick with the Dinan brand, but if its not going to change my stock shifter much which brand would you recommend? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!:M5launch:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Re: anyone know about the Dinan short shift kit?

Firstly, welcome to the board!

:cheers:

Re: the Dinan SSK, I have also posted the same question on the board a few weeks ago. Nobody responded which I took to mean that nobody here has yet to install one.

My dealership has not installed any either and has not heard anything pro or con about the system.

It IS surprisingly cheap when compared to the UUC unit... and coming from Dinan, this is extraordinarily strange.

From what I understand however, the system utilizes the stock-like rubber ball part in the linkage as the Rogue kit does, but unlike the UUC kit which uses a stainless steel ball. My dealer seems to think that this stainless ball is the cause for some vibration through the shifter and noise.

-Matthew

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

the M5 SS does not appear to be shipping yet -- i put in a call last week as i'm not very happy with the UUC, and was promised a call as soon as they were shipping

is soon as they are available my car will go into dianan for a review of shifting issues and maybe replace the UUC

·
Registered
4,515 Posts

It seems these Getrag transmissions have an overly-complicated and very odd internal shift linkage and detent system. Compared to other modern manual transmissions, internal gear selector mechanicals seem crude & shift quality varies widely with temperature and fluid viscosity and type. This is why many folks are trying Royal Purple and claiming improved shift quality. Shift quality varies widely from tranny-to-tranny.

My floppy OEM BMW shifter was quite stubborn to engage & felt notchy despite plenty of linkage slop, plastic parts and flex. It literally felt like something was breaking something as I forced it thru notches & into gear, when cold. After rebuilding the stock shifter with fresh parts and then replacing it with an aftermarket premium shifter and rod, I discovered the "rough" Getrag internals in my tranny could not be corrected or muted. The tranny shifts precise and slick as butter once the tranny internals warm up and decide to cooperate with me (lol). This takes 10-15 min of driving.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts

MT JTN said:
My dealer seems to think that this stainless ball is the cause for some vibration through the shifter and noise.
What vibration and noise?

Very happy with my UUC EVO-3 compared to stock- not bit noisier.

I believe there MAY HAVE BEEN potential issues with the earlier versions with diffrent rubber isolations schemes....

·
Registered
680 Posts

Dealer claims that while most have been happy with the SSKs that they have installed, there have been a few who have found an increase in vibration through the shifter and "noise" to be unacceptable. This is per my service advisor, a great and very knowledgeable guy. Evidently, sometimes SSKs cause these changes in the character of the shifter.

-Matthew

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice! It almost sounds like a hit or miss type of upgrade, depending on your tranny. However the stock shifter is such a weak link in an otherwise perfect car that I think I'll go ahead and put in an order to the dealer for the new Dinan ssk. It should be an improvement either way, and at that price its worth it. Thanks all:M5launch:

·
Registered
92 Posts

Had a Dinan SSK installed last week. Very happy with the results. My Beast has 32K miles w/nothing wrong with the original shifter. Like others I wanted a SSK. I chose Dinan's because of the majority of Beast owners complaint of UUC's being notchy and needed more effort. Also spent considerable amount of time discussing this topic with a Dinan Rep at the Santa Barbara Bimmerfest. Doesn't seem to be a problem with M3's. Possibly due the difference in transmission design. The dealership that installed it also stated similar feedbacks from other Beast owners about other brands being notchy. The throws are pleasantly shorter, closer to 25% instead of the advertised 17%. This may very from different vehicles. Based on the results, price and Dinan's reputation, it was the right choice. :M5launch:

·
Registered
4,406 Posts

rhfong1 said:
Had a Dinan SSK installed last week. Very happy with the results. My Beast has 32K miles w/nothing wrong with the original shifter. Like others I wanted a SSK. I chose Dinan's because of the majority of Beast owners complaint of UUC's being notchy and needed more effort. Also spent considerable amount of time discussing this topic with a Dinan Rep at the Santa Barbara Bimmerfest. Doesn't seem to be a problem with M3's. Possibly due the difference in transmission design. The dealership that installed it also stated similar feedbacks from other Beast owners about other brands being notchy. The throws are pleasantly shorter, closer to 25% instead of the advertised 17%. This may very from different vehicles. Based on the results, price and Dinan's reputation, it was the right choice. :M5launch:

VERY NICE !

:hihi:

·
Registered
12,398 Posts

rhfong1 said:

ANECDOTES

But makes the Dinan reps smile...

Show me a tranny that was notchy with a UUC or any other SSK, then cured with the Dinan, and I'll be a believer.

This goes for any shifter- there are many past threads discussing this- nobody compare on against the other, just the SSK against stock. All comparisons are BETWEEN different cars, where tranny variations confound analysis. IIRC, there might be two posts here where different shifters were used in one car...

A

·
Registered
4,515 Posts

ard said:
ANECDOTES

Show me a tranny that was notchy with a UUC or any other SSK, then cured with the Dinan, and I'll be a believer.

This goes for any shifter- there are many past threads discussing this- nobody compare on against the other, just the SSK against stock. All comparisons are BETWEEN different cars, where tranny variations confound analysis. IIRC, there might be two posts here where different shifters were used in one car...

A
Boy, that's for sure.

It's simple physics:

Ignoring pivot ball friction, joint friction and momentum, the force or effort required to engage gears is a direct function of throw/leverage...

shorter throw = add'l effort

Premium SSK's rely upon a number of tricks to facilitate shorter throws with acceptable effort:

1) added momentum via weighted shifter knobs and/or selector rods.
2) less pivot ball friction due to precision shape, proper lubricant and hard, polished ball joint materials
3) superior bearing technology in linkage.

Notchiness is a function of the unserviceable transmission internal linkage & tranny lubricant. A heavy, weighted shifter assembly will more easily "ride through" mechanical resistance notches inside the tranny. This can avoid the occasional "second efort" push that's required to get through a notch. Extra mass is one thing that makes weighted aftermarket designs feel less notchy & superior. Flexible, rubbery &/or sloppy shifter componentry will somewhat isolate the shifter knob from the transmission. This is the "cheap" way of reducing notchiness and vibration, but only at the expense of shifter precision.

As mentioned above, one transmission can not be compared to another. Vibration & especially notchiness are largely a function of the tranny internals & tranny lubricant, not the brand/model of SSK. Folks looking for minimum vibration and less effort should install a freshly-greased $15 used 540i shifter. Believe me...my 75 year old mom would like it, but it's not the hot ticket for performance(lol).

Aside from subjective requirements relating to throw distance (percentage reduction), an SSK is judged by it's materials and tolerances. Tighter, lower friction joints comprised of superior materials are a plus.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts

The Dinan 540i shifter is nothing more than a painted and rebadged factory M5 shifter. Here's a shot of the Dinan 540i shifter, which "coincidentally" provides the exact same 24% throw reduction you would get by paying Pacific BMW $39 for an M5 shift lever!

Not a bad gig to buy them in bulk from BMW for probably less than $25 each, paint them, then sell them as Dinan product for $159 each. hiha

The Dinan M5 shifter is probably also a factory shifter, repainted. But I haven't seen one yet.

·
10,458 Posts

DZeckhausen said:
Not a bad gig to buy them in bulk from BMW for probably less than $25 each, paint them, then sell them as Dinan product for $159 each. hiha
You forgot the decals, those 'D's aren't free you know....
Mike

ps what ever happened to the stoptech rear 2 piston kit?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts

mottati said:
ps what ever happened to the stoptech rear 2 piston kit?
They decided to go with a 345x28mm rotor instead of 351x32mm. The standard size fits more applications and is less expensive to manufacture.

I'm still waiting on final pricing, but I've already placed an inventory order and expect to see them shipping in two to three weeks.

·
Registered
661 Posts

That picture looks exactly like a stock E36 M3 shifter except for the paint and dinan logo. I have one sitting in my garage. I'll take a picture tonight to compare.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I guess that would explain the extremely low, low price Dinan is uncharacteristically selling their ssk for. However, I wonder which stock part they would be rebadging for use as the Dinan M5 ssk? And if that is in fact the case, does it make it any worse or less functional than other ssk?:M5eyes:

AZN M5

·
Registered
5,353 Posts

My floppy OEM BMW shifter was quite stubborn to engage & felt notchy despite plenty of linkage slop, plastic parts and flex. It literally felt like something was breaking something as I forced it thru notches & into gear, when cold.
As Rick also pointed out, the quality of the engagement varies considerably from car to car as well. My M5 was actually quite smooth to engage even when new with the stock shifter. It was still smooth with the UUC SSK (EVO2). My M3 on the other hand, is a different story (they have the same Getrag transmissions, don't they?). If cold, especially if I've let it sit for a few days w/o driving it, it seems like all the fluid drains off the internals and I almost have to use two hands to engage first for the first mile or so. Then everything is fine after that. If I just park the car out overnight when the weather is cold, it's not as hard to engage first as it is when I've not driven it for a few days to a week. Go figure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

FAST 5,
Any news or comments on your new Dinan shifter? Id love to see the pics!:noSMG:

·
Registered
2,482 Posts

AZN M5 said:
FAST 5,
Any news or comments on your new Dinan shifter? Id love the see pics!:noSMG:
He's getting it installed on Saturday. I'll be there having my Dinan suspension worked on, so I'll be able to take a photo or two. :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts